Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aurelp
Not applicable
Views: 478
Message 1401 of 1,433

Re: Moto Z - extreme battery drain after 7.1.1 update

Just to folow up on my previous posting

After more than 1 month since I changed the battery, no issue with battery drain anymore and Accubatery still shows 100 health

I am posting this info only to keep other users informed in case they have intention to change battery; I am not able to commentthe rootcause for my first battery

failure

Poofox
Not applicable
Views: 405
Message 1402 of 1,433

They actually have the gall to mark this problem as solved?!  Not even close!

I have the same problem.  It was caused by system update and is unaffected by factory reset. 

Symptoms:

Phone shuts off in the middle of any activity, regardless of reported battery level.  Once off, it will not power on or detect any battery charge until plugged in.  Battery % changes erratically and drops fast. 

For me, this started immediately after the system update to 8.0.0 but and once updated, it cannot be reverted due to the locked bootloader.  I'm seeing countless other users with this problem.  Motorola needs to fix this or face a class action lawsuit.  Many of us are past warranty and still paying for the phone. 

BroughtUpright
Not applicable
Views: 372
Message 1403 of 1,433

This big problem doesn't only happen after 7.1.1 and/or 8.0 updates. My first Moto Z Force Droid (running 7.0) also shut off with "full" battery until it wouldn't work at all unless plugged in to charger so Verizon replaced it...their replacement Moto Z Force Droid (running 7.1.1) worked well for a few months but is shutting off for no reason again (even with "full" "TurboPower" battery pack) and won't restart until plugged into charger...making it a useless "mobile" phone 🗑️

simplemark1
Not applicable
Views: 337
Message 1404 of 1,433

Thanks, Aurelp. I've also purchased a battery to replace my failed oem battery. Hope it holds up. I've already purchased a new Samsung S9 as a replacement, but it would be nice to get the Moto Z working to use the moto mods.

I agree with you that I don't know the root cause of the failure. I don't know if it was related to the updates (I suspect it was because the phone ran hotter and used battery faster after the update) or if it was just a bad battery design or manufacturing batch. Either way, it failed prematurely and Motorola should have stood behind it. I was a fan of Lenovo products (I own a Moto Z and 2 lenovo laptops) but after this customer service fail I will not support them with any further purchases. I'd bet it was an executive decision to ignore the battery problem to help Lenovo's short term profits, but it will result in MANY unhappy customers, and thus, lost long term profitability.

Poofox
Not applicable
Views: 323
Message 1405 of 1,433

Hmm, well I suppose it could be the update triggered a latent flaw in the battery.  As I recall, there was a steep drop in battery life after v7 and then the shutdown problems started after v8. 

Davyjones
Not applicable
Views: 260
Message 1406 of 1,433

Hahaha ignorant motorola
Hope you lose every customer !!!
Qeustion still no answer....
Why set solved to this when clearly its not !!!
Whats up WHY with the battery drain that millions of motorola and lenovo users suffer????!!
Davyjones
Not applicable
Views: 260
Message 1407 of 1,433

But the want fix it !!!
Hahaha ignorant motorola
10000 Questions still no answer....
Whats up WHY with the battery drain that millions of motorola and lenovo users suffer????!!
Davyjones
Not applicable
Views: 257
Message 1408 of 1,433

Ignorant !!!!
My god can you believe how stupid these motorola moderators are always di you try this and that while the forums swarmed with the issue !!!!
Hahaha ignorant motorola
Question still no answer....
Whats up WHY with the battery drain that millions of motorola and lenovo users suffer????!!shame on you motorola
Davyjones
Not applicable
Views: 257
Message 1409 of 1,433

Not solved at all!!! Rich liar
Ignorant !!!!
My god can you believe how stupid these motorola moderators are always di you try this and that while the forums swarmed with the issue !!!!
Hahaha ignorant motorola
Question still no answer....
Whats up WHY with the battery drain that millions of motorola and lenovo users suffer????!!shame on you motorola
Davyjones
Not applicable
Views: 256
Message 1410 of 1,433

Your even more stupid than motorola succes with your fix stupid
Top Kudoed Authors