Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rockstargames
What's DOS?
Views: 16,296
Message 11 of 1,437

Re: Moto Z - extreme battery drain after 7.1.1 update

The solution is so simple. I can't believe Lenovo hasn't suggested this officially. Please do the following after the update, Settings -> Battery -> Battery optimization -> Reset app preferences. Take a look at the gif attached.

Silent_V
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,674
Message 12 of 1,437

Hi all!

I face the same problem after updating to 7.1.1 with my Z Play.

Nothing helpsSmiley Sad Neither reset to factory settings, no reboot, no resetting app preferences.

It just drains even in airplane modeSmiley Sad When it was 7.0 it could lose 1% per night in airplane mode or not to lose even a single % but as for now it can lose 5-7 % per night in airplane mode at average. Before update I charged my phone once pre 2 days (I switch off both mobile data transfer and wi-fi during night time) despite of I use my phone a lot during the day but now I have to charge it once a day at averageSmiley Sad

It has just lost 4% per 20 mins in stand-by mode.
Any guess, please?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 8,500
Message 13 of 1,437

@dfluff wrote:

My Moto Z is also having battery-drain at significantly more than double the rate since the 7.1.1 update.  At the same time Bluetooth has stopped working.  I'm now kicking myself for buying a phone that charges and connects (non-Bluetooth) headphones through the same socket!

Screenshot_20170810-220005.png

I've done a factory-reset which has in the past fixed battery-drain problems after an update, but has not helped with either the battery or the Bluetooth issues this time.  Really annoyed by this.

Hi dfluff,

Sorry for the delay in response. Are you still experiencing challenges with your phone's bluetooth connectivity? Can you tell me what exactly is happening? Can it still scan and connect to other bluetooth devices? Does it disconnect or cannot scan or cannot be turned on at all? How did you do the factory data reset?

-JM

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 8,497
Message 14 of 1,437

@YokohamaOno wrote:

I have a Moto Z Force running 7.0 (Verizon network, no 7.1 yet). This is my second Z force because the first one had bluetooth issues after only a month or so. Now, without any new updates it has stopped working again. The battery life is also an issue with the battery graph showing the phone is awake constantly even when screen is off. The bluetooth is a major issue because I have bluetooth headphones and a bluetooth speaker that are now expensive paperweights. I can probably get another replacement from Verizon but what's the point if it's just going to fail again?

Hi YokohamaOno,

What specific challenges are you experiencing with your phone's bluetooth connectivity?

-JM

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 8,451
Message 15 of 1,437

@Silent_V wrote:

Hi all!

I face the same problem after updating to 7.1.1 with my Z Play.

Nothing helpsSmiley Sad Neither reset to factory settings, no reboot, no resetting app preferences.

It just drains even in airplane modeSmiley Sad When it was 7.0 it could lose 1% per night in airplane mode or not to lose even a single % but as for now it can lose 5-7 % per night in airplane mode at average. Before update I charged my phone once pre 2 days (I switch off both mobile data transfer and wi-fi during night time) despite of I use my phone a lot during the day but now I have to charge it once a day at averageSmiley Sad

It has just lost 4% per 20 mins in stand-by mode.
Any guess, please?

How did you do the factory data reset? After the reset, did you test the phone before installing or restoring any of your apps? 

Would you please update your profile with the IMEI number of your phone? Is it okay if we look into your apps? This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled.

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

-JM

Silent_V
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,410
Message 16 of 1,437

Hi JM,

Thanks for your respond.

I added IMEI to my profile so you may check my phone out. Thank you!

I reset it once via menu twice: firs I restored it from the back up file which did not solve the problem. Then I re-set it and did not restore it. This made situation better but after I manually added all the apps back to phone the battery drain got a bit random but at general it still runs out of battery during 24 hours. I removed all potentially suspicious apps like parallax wallpapers, some travel apps but nothing changes significantly.

Cheers!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 8,385
Message 17 of 1,437

We ran a diagnostic on your phone and we saw that there's a lot of application crashes on it. There are also days wherein the device was not fully charged when you plugged it out from the charger. Network connection is not also stable. Almost everyday, you're getting poor signal which leads to battery discharging twice than its normal state. 

We can also see that your data- 4G LTE to be exact- is almost always on. Your charging habit is not consistent, there are times that you plug it in to a USB connection and disconnect it without having a full charge yet. 

There are a lot of apps you're using that requires a lot of screen time that's why battery drains quicker which is normal because you have a lot of activities doing on the device. 

-JM
dfluff
Paper Tape
Views: 8,401
Message 18 of 1,437

Yes, I am still having problems with Bluetooth.  The symptoms:

After the upgrade to 7.1.1 devices devices (speaker, smart-watch) would connect to the phone for maybe 5-10 minutes after the phone had been rebooted.  They would then disconnect and it would not be possible to reconnect without rebooting the phone.  I took a video of it in this state: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xV9FVr1jhwaIxNS33

Following various bits of advice I did a factory reset.  This made matters worse - now it is not possible to make the phone discoverable or to scan for other devices.  In other words, I cannot re-pair to the devices that previously worked, so I no longer even have the 5-10 minute period after a reboot where my devices connect!

Before the update I never had any problems with Bluetooth, and the phone battery would last for approx 36 hours.  Now I cannot use Bluetooth at all and the battery lasts around 12 hours.

As you know, the phone does not have a headphone socket.  This meant that on a recent long-distance train journey I could not listen to music/podcasts on the phone, because (a) Bluetooth headphones did not work and (b) I had to keep the phone on-charge due to the poor battery life, meaning I could not use the USB-C headphone adapter.  I hugely regret buying a phone without a headphone socket, and will not make the same mistake again!

Thomas-
Punch Card
Views: 8,398
Message 19 of 1,437

For me when I can't discover Bluetooth devices in pairing mode it sometimes helps to turn off Wifi. You've probably tried all combinations already, but just in case you haven't thought of turning off Wifi I thought I should mention it. :-)

Brgds...   /Thomas

Silent_V
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,353
Message 20 of 1,437

Hello JM,

Thanks for checking it out 

Everything sounds reasonable. But before update it ran out of battery way later rather than now in the same conditions. Anyway thanks for your effort. I will observe a bit more and will let you know if I have more issues.

Top Kudoed Authors