Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chriso1210
Paper Tape
Views: 5,260
Message 21 of 1,437

Re: Moto Z - extreme battery drain after 7.1.1 update

Tengo el mismo problema en mi Moto Z, despues de la actualización a Nougat 7.1.1, la bateria solo dura unas cuantas horas, ya lo restableci a valores de fabrica y aun sigue igual...

Shadowkinesis
Paper Tape
Views: 5,190
Message 22 of 1,437

I've waited a couple days to get to the bottom of this but it's clear I'm not the only one. So far I've loved my Moto Z Force for a year. No real issues until the 7.1.1 update. Now my battery is ambiently draining at an insane rate, at least twice as fast.

I sell Verizon phones for a living so I have a lot of man hours in troubleshooting phones. I know this is not normal. From what I gather, the most suspicious difference I've noticed is a peculiar feature that was not there before. It concerns the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth antennas. Whenever the phone is asleep, those antennas are on. I use my fingerprint to wake it up, for just a moment I notice the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth antennas on, but turning off automatically. I typically have my Bluetooth headphones connected, and this happens regardless of if they are paired or not. In fact, it disconnects them momentarily. Annoying but not deadly. Basically I think those are draining the battery looking for signals, but there is no way to disable that function. Additionally, I attached a screenshot of what I thought controls that feature that was not there before? (Hopefully someone can confirm) but it doesn't help either way.

This has been extremely frustrating. I'm hoping someone patches this because otherwise I considered this phone in the top 3 performers of its release time.

Silent_V
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,203
Message 23 of 1,437

I checked out and I have exactly the same picture as Shadowkinesis has. Is that a bug?
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 5,153
Message 24 of 1,437

@dfluff wrote:

Yes, I am still having problems with Bluetooth.  The symptoms:

After the upgrade to 7.1.1 devices devices (speaker, smart-watch) would connect to the phone for maybe 5-10 minutes after the phone had been rebooted.  They would then disconnect and it would not be possible to reconnect without rebooting the phone.  I took a video of it in this state: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xV9FVr1jhwaIxNS33

Following various bits of advice I did a factory reset.  This made matters worse - now it is not possible to make the phone discoverable or to scan for other devices.  In other words, I cannot re-pair to the devices that previously worked, so I no longer even have the 5-10 minute period after a reboot where my devices connect!

Before the update I never had any problems with Bluetooth, and the phone battery would last for approx 36 hours.  Now I cannot use Bluetooth at all and the battery lasts around 12 hours.

As you know, the phone does not have a headphone socket.  This meant that on a recent long-distance train journey I could not listen to music/podcasts on the phone, because (a) Bluetooth headphones did not work and (b) I had to keep the phone on-charge due to the poor battery life, meaning I could not use the USB-C headphone adapter.  I hugely regret buying a phone without a headphone socket, and will not make the same mistake again!

Hi dfluff,

How did you do the factory reset? When you did the reset, did you test the phone BEFORE installing or restoring any of your apps? Can you test the phone in safe mode to make sure that a rogue app is not messing with your device?

Would you also update your profile with the IMEI number of your phone? Is it okay if we look into your apps? This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled.

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

-JM

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 5,123
Message 25 of 1,437

To all of you who are still experiencing this concern, if you haven't yet, please update your profile with your phone's IMEI number. Is it okay if we look into your apps? This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled.

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

I will raise this to our product team.

-JM

Shadowkinesis
Paper Tape
Views: 5,115
Message 26 of 1,437

You absolutely have permission to analyze my phone. Profile updated.

My apps largely have not changed since the update. The only annoying one I know is the Verizon Hum app that can't be disabled when driving. I turned off the settings to use wifi or Bluetooth for accurate or expedited GPS readings. Still didn't fix anything. If you need I can provide a video of the antennas spontaneously going on and off when I unlock my phone, causing a disconnect if either device, regardless if they're voluntarily connected or not.

Silent_V
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,086
Message 27 of 1,437

Hi JM,

It's ok, if you will check my apps (if your last message was for me also).

Well, the issue is that my batter runs out after approx. 40-45 hours with Android 7.0 and now it runs out after approx. 28 hours with 7.1.1. And I use my phone at escatly the same conditions now as I used it before the updateSmiley Sad

Shadowkinesis
Paper Tape
Views: 5,049
Message 28 of 1,437

Just for supplemental information, here's an example from today of the magnitude of battery drain. This is not an issue of user error. I've barely had the screen on in three hours and it's down to 33%. I typically play two hours of intensive games per day and probably two more hours of social media and it would usually get to maybe 60% if I did all of that at once. I have praised this phone for its battery for the entire year I've had it and this is definitely not reflecting that anymore. 

Nels371
Paper Tape
Views: 5,020
Message 29 of 1,437

i have the same problem with my Moto Z about battery life. I could not do anything since it only charge up to 10% and suddenly dropped to 3%. I barely could keep my phone on charge since the charging goes on and off all the times. When i got my charging stable, it stopped at 10% and the charging keeps go on and off untill it reaches 9%. 

There must be some problem with 7.11 on moto z since im not the only one. please help me to fix it.

Thanks alot!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 4,993
Message 30 of 1,437

Thank you for all these reports and additional information. I have raised this to our product team and am just waiting for a revert. If you haven't yet, kindly update your profile with the phone's IMEI number.

-JM

Top Kudoed Authors