Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NoMoreMoto_Ever
Paper Tape
Views: 4,109
Message 671 of 1,433

Re: Moto Z - extreme battery drain after 7.1.1 update

Now this, this is a pic of how incredibly mangled Moto Z batteries are.

I have jumped through all the hoops, done all the tech crap - nothing fixes it.

Done with MotorolaScreenshot_20180217-150038.png

almalino
SCSI Port
Views: 3,930
Message 672 of 1,433

YEs, same happened with me and I RMAed it 1.5 weeks ago. Still have not received a fixed phone. It is under warranty for 1.5 years still so Moto will have quite a time fixing it Smiley Happy

cnrcnky
Punch Card
Views: 3,872
Message 673 of 1,433

Hello from Turkey, 

I am having exactly same problem. Obviously its a common problem. I tried every recommended solutions like factory reset etc.. but none of them worked for me. My phone is still under warranty but I do not have any spare phone to use. So that i hope its a software problem and will be solved soon.

ScreenHunter_1554 Feb. 19 13.59.jpg

Limited2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,835
Message 674 of 1,433

According to someone on Reddit thier battery issues were fixed with the Oreo update. I guess we will have to wait and see.

mkhakheria
Paper Tape
Views: 3,769
Message 675 of 1,433

Same problem does they found any fix please let me

Thanks

supercocoa17
Paper Tape
Views: 3,727
Message 676 of 1,433

I've definitely been having the same problem.  My battery has been draining at an alarming rate.  This morning, I unplugged it after it reached 100%.  In 45 minutes with no use, it was down to 79%.  I headed out to the gym (all within the same hour), and before I went in, decided to pay a bill using my bank's app.  At 63% it shut off.  I came home, plugged in my phone at it was at 4%; the phone charged extremely quickly; faster than a steady normal turbo charge.

I first really had an inkling of an issue back in September when I turned off my phone while I was on an hour and 20 minute flight.  Turning it back on, the battery was down to 9%.  Why would my battery drain from 100% to 9% while turned off?

Screenshot as of 2/19/2018.

eideteker
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,665
Message 677 of 1,433

At this point, even if Oreo fixes it - I'm done with Moto, next phone will be a Samsung. The fact that a "flagship" phone could have a problem like this means it could easily happen again. Definitely glad I didn't buy too deep into the mods ecosystem.

NoFlo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,616
Message 678 of 1,433

Just to chime in:

Got very bad battery stats since the December Security Update, too. Plus serious BT problems.

Before, the SOT etc. was okay (in relation to the relatively small battery) and nothing to worry about.

After the update, I can barely manage half a day without charging (even without using the phone actively).

Did a few hard resets with and without restore from backup, but ofc that did not change anything.

cnrcnky
Punch Card
Views: 3,582
Message 679 of 1,433

Samsung has faced serious battery problem with Note series which is " flagship " for them. But the point is, at least they admit the problem and did their best to help the customers. 

We expect Lenovo to do same thing. Its my first moto phone and i don't want it to be last.

ATechGuy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,510
Message 680 of 1,433

I think premature death of the battery is the key to all of these readers in this forum. If you charge up your phone while it's powered off, watch how it loses charge when you stop charging it and keep the phone OFF. A "normal" battery will lose a few % per hour in the 90's, but after that, it should hold charge for days, losing a few percent per day. Our batteries are not behaving like this, but are losing 1-2 % per minute, often losing 90% in as little as a couple of hours. This is how a defective (or spent) battery will behave. While I completely agree that the 7.1.1 update seemed to accelerate this issue, I think the bottom line is we all have batteries that are shot. No software is going to help that. However, replacing just the battery alone may not really "solve" the original issue/cause which was probably more about a software change that seems to cause premature death to the batteries, perhaps due to over-charging, or some mis-calibration going on, but that's all speculation. I'm just afraid that if I get my battery replaced, it's going to be right back to where it is now, in only a few months at best.

I guess what bothers me most, is I just wish Moto/Lenovo would face up to the phones NOT needing any factory resets, when the phone loses 90% of the battery charge in 2 hours, WHEN IT IS POWERED OFF. It will continue to do so even after the factory reset!!! Forget about how Android affects the phone, it can't keep a charge evern when it's powered off!

What I would like to see is a streamlined battery replacement service, for $25 ,for out-of-warranty users, just like Apple, and this would pay for 48 hour turn-around, all shipping paid for phones that exhibit this characteristic. No 2-year old (or less) phone should lose this amount of charge when powered off. Factory resetting it only tries to put the blame on software which is clear from SO many users, that this isn't the case. If the phones really need additional h/w changes to resolve the premature battery death, then it would benefit Moto to try a software fix first, and if successful, that would save them a lot of $$ without having to replace additional h/w for the same fixed rate.

Having such a program would not only build incredible customer loyalty (as so many of us already are) but it decreases the cost of shipping to resolve something so clearly is a h/w fault on a flag-ship product. While my phone is reportedly in the 'extended warranty" classification and I should be able to get a replacement at no extra cost, I would be willing to pay the $25 for a 48 hr turn-around to get a new battery and a stamp of approval from moto that they have chcked it out in hopes the root case of premature death has been dealt with.

Top Kudoed Authors