Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FrozenYak
Fanfold Paper
Views: 898
Message 1 of 12

Moto Z not updating past 7.0

I have a Moto Z on Bell Canada network, which has been stuck at 7.0 since May 2017.

Have tried clearing the cache and factory resetting the phone altogether.

Bell's website had 7.1.1 advertised as the supported OS for over a year, and now it is advertising 8.0 (https://support.bell.ca/Mobility/Smartphones_and_mobile_internet/Operating-Systems?alias=Moto-Z), but I'm still at 7.0 and System Update says I am up to date.

I've called Bell and Motorola multiple times with each side telling me to contact the other, or Google (who I can't contact...).

I've been given the runaround so much that about ready to cut ties with both companies if this is how an on-contract device is 'supported'.  But that might just be my rage haha.

Any help would be great!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 872
Message 2 of 12

Re: Moto Z not updating past 7.0

Hi FrozenYak,

Thanks for posting, I appreciate the steps you've taken. Could you please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

FrozenYak
Fanfold Paper
Views: 869
Message 3 of 12

Hi!

Thanks for replying!

I think I have now updated my information, as well as enabled the Motorola Privacy settings.

[edit] Oops, sorry, looks like my settings I did weren't the right ones.  It should be good now! Smiley Very Happy [/edit]

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 838
Message 4 of 12

Hi FrozenYak,

Thanks for updating your profile. Could you please perform full factory data reset? Just go to Settings > Backup Reset > Factory Data Reset. Make sure that the Automatic Restore is disabled to make sure no third-party apps will be reinstalled automatically. If you have important files, please back them up so you won't lose any important files. I highly recommend setting up as new to make sure it's an account issue too. Let me know how it goes. 

I will have my colleague to help us out with this. Thank you. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

FrozenYak
Fanfold Paper
Views: 829
Message 5 of 12

I did the factory reset using the instructions you provided.  Checked for updates and it still says I am up to date.

This is actually the third time I have done a factory reset.  The first time was from the boot loader.

Highlighted
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 783
Message 6 of 12

Hi  FrozenYak,

Thanks for confirming. Factory data reset should fix all software issues, in this case, I would suggest sending the phone for repair to have it reflashed. You can contact us to help you check your warranty repair options. Here's the link

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

FrozenYak
Fanfold Paper
Views: 773
Message 7 of 12

It appears my phone is out of warranty.  I will check my support from Bell to see if this is something they are required to do.

I'm betting someone screwed something up on my phone when they fixed it last year - it was stuck in boot mode, and prior to that the bluetooth was having issues.  Overall, I guess this phone was never running ideally.

Thanks.

Double-G
Punch Card
Views: 657
Message 8 of 12

Betreff: Moto Z not updating past 7.0

Insert a SIM. Without the Moto Z sometimes doesn't find OTA updates.

FrozenYak
Fanfold Paper
Views: 653
Message 9 of 12

It is on the Bell network, thus it has a SIM.

I am finally in a city where I can get to a repair center, so hopefully they can help me get this reflashed.  Will update if that fixes it, assuming they will do it.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 623
Message 10 of 12

Hi FrozenYak,

If you're still stuck in boot mode, then it's better to have the phone repair for possible reflash. Let me know what happened. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Top Kudoed Authors