Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Inchhigh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 26,191
Message 1 of 75

Moto z shuts down full battery goes dead

I have both the tu I and incipio battery mods which I use interchangeably. Recently the phone shows both main an mod battery full but shuts down, mostly when I unlock the screen but other times also. When it dies the main battery reads a zero and it won't restart unless I plug it in. Then main battery charges from zero. Happening  a few times a day recently.  Had to hold power and volume down the last couple of times to restart.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 25,928
Message 2 of 75

Re: Moto z shuts down full battery goes dead

Hi inchhigh,

This is strange but we are ready to assist you here. Start by calibrating the phone's battery to reset the battery table. To calibrate the battery: Hold the power button until the phone reboots > Plug into the supplied charger > Charge to 100% > Leave on the charger for at least an additional hour.

Also, when the phone dies, do you know if the battery mods are also depleted?

Regards,

JM

Motorola Support

Inchhigh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 25,926
Message 3 of 75

No, the battery mods still show a charge but until I plug in the phone it doesn't transfer any charge to the main battery so it starts to boot and then dies. 

Inchhigh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 25,925
Message 4 of 75

I don't have my original charger at work but I did try this with another charger and it charged to 100% and I waited for two hours but it crashed again shortly after I unplugged it. The mod is not currently attached.

Inchhigh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 25,897
Message 5 of 75

Charged it last night with the mod detatched and using my original turbo charger.  Attached the Tumi battery mod before I left home and it worked fine for about an hour and then started crashing again.  When it shuts off I get that Yeild sign with a red exclimation mark and it won't do anything. If I hold Power and Volume down it will go into that boot mode but will not start.  As soon as I plug it in it shows both main battery and mod at nearly full charge. When I turn it on while plugged n in will boot up.  After a short time it will crash again and then when I plug it in it shows main battery at zero and Mod about the same as before.  When I reboot again it starts with main battery under 3% but charges fairly quickly.  As long as it is plugged in it does not crash and seems to run normally.

It is under watrrantly until "Oct 17" which I guess means the end of this month?  I bought it just before Thanksgiving last year, so sometime late November. 

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 25,880
Message 6 of 75

Have you tried doing a factory data reset without automatic restore? If you already did and tested BEFORE installing or restoring ANY apps, and problem persists, then service/repair is next step. You may check and visit this link for your repair/replacement options: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/mcp/service/  -JM

Stephanssv
What's DOS?
Views: 25,852
Message 7 of 75

Just to report that I got the same problem , the phone continuously shuts off even at full battery and no chance to turn it on again if not using the turbo charges. I have already performed twice factory reset and nothing happened, still same even is getting worse. I can't use this phone properly and this is terrible. Lenovo must do something about this! 😡😡😡

Inchhigh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 25,851
Message 8 of 75

I leave it plugged in all day now at work but I bought one of those portable chargers that I carry around all the time in case i want to go anywhere.  I have a concert ticket on my phone and I'm afraid I'll lose it if I do a reset so for now I have a somewhat mobile solution that is moderately workable at least until after the concert (which is tomorrow). 

kespiller
What's DOS?
Views: 25,677
Message 9 of 75

I have the same problem and have for a while.  It doesn't matter if my battery is full, 63%, whatever...it randomly shuts down.  When I try to turn it back on, it reboots, but then immediately shuts down again.  I then have to plug it in to the factory charger to get it to work.

I now have additional problems.  I can completely charge it to 100% and turn it off.  When I turn it back on again, it will be at 20%.  I've tried this with a mod that has it own battery on and without one.  The mod will retain its battery life at 100%, but the phone will not.

I called Motorola when this first started happening and they told me to factory reset.  Guess what?  Obviously didn't work.  It's only gotten worse.

A friend with the same phone told me to try not charging with the factory charger, but with another type C charger to see if the same thing happens.  She's heard that the factory charger isn't actually charging the battery to 100%, although it says it is.  I'm trying that now as a last ditch effort.

Inchhigh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 25,675
Message 10 of 75

I ended up returning mine for a warranty replacement.  I haven't reattached the Tumi battery Mod since I got the new phone but the new phone is working and the battery life seems better than the old phone even with the mod attached.

Top Kudoed Authors