Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mergatroid
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,437
Message 1 of 8

Need help with voice dial from hands free headset and car stereo

I have a week and a half old Moto Z from Telus (Canada).

Love the hardware.

Hate the software.

Problem #1

I cannot get the phone to transfer the contact list to my Pyle car stereo. I have even tried sharing the contacts using Bluetooth, but it tells me there are no Bluetooth devices available even though I am paired with my car stereo. I also downloaded a Bluetooth File Copy app, and it seemed like it was working, but at the end it said the stereo doesn't support some Bluetooth service. I looked into this further, and apparently there are two services that can accomplish this task, but neither one of them is working.

Note, this worked effortlessly with a Samsung Galaxy and a HTC One M8 phone. (by effortless, I mean it just worked, and I didn't have to spend hours trying to find out why it doesn't work). As you can likely tell, I am starting to become frustrated.

I need the hards free to work in my car. I spent hundreds of dollars getting it to work, and it does work on every phone except the Moto Z.

If I call a number using the Moto voice, the stereo will function as a hands-free unit, as I can head the person I'm calling through the speakers, and they can hear me when I talk, but I can't get the contacts into the stereo, and I cannot initiate a call from the stereo.

Problem #2.

I cannot get voice dial to work from any of my hands free devices. This includes my car stereo, and four hands free Bluetooth headsets I have (including an older Motorola).

Because of this, I decided to purchase a newer, up-to-date headset. I just received it. It's a MPOW Wireless Bluetooth 4.1 Headset.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01M1JS4ZA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I use this headset (or any of the other four I have tried), when I press the button to tell it to voice dial, it does nothing. Android is supposed to respond, but nothing happens. I cannot tell it to dial, I can't tell it to play, it ignores everything I say. What should happen is that, when I press and hold the button for 4 seconds, it should say "Voice Dial" and then bring up the dialer, and then I tell it to "Call Joe Blow" and it calls. Instead of this, I press the button for four seconds, and it completely ignors it. I can't get any response from the phone using a Hands Free Headset. Note, this function works fine using other phones.

HOWEVER

If I use Moto Voice (Just "moto" on my Moto Z) and I say "Hey Moto Go", and then the phone mumbles something (I have it in a holster, so this is very inconvenient), and then I shout "Call Joe Blow", the phone will hear me using it's microphone, and (get this) instead of looking the person up in my contact list, it actually tries to find them on Google. This is extremely aggravating. When I call work, it actually pulls the number from the Internet instead of simply getting it from my contacts. I really hate to think how much data this might add up to during a really busy month for me.

OK, at this point I really want to say a few potty-mouth things, because my frustration level is at 10 right now.

I can go out, right now, to Walmart and purfchase a $100 Android phone, and it will perfrom these functions flawlessly. I don't need to spend hours Googling and leaving requests for help, because those $100 Android phones just work.

Why can't Motorola/Lenovo do this on a flagship phone?????????

How can I get the voice dialing to work direct to the dialer, and skip Google Voice and Moto Voice and all this other junk they have added to the phone that is not required for a purely functional phone?

"Get a Pure Android Phone" I got told. "HTC and Samsung offer Android with huge perfromance hits because of TouchWiz and Sense", get the true Android Experience.

LOL, look where it's gotten me. I have a $900 (Canadian) phone and I can't get it to work as well as a $100 phone.

Please, before I pull out the rest of my hair, how can I get this phone working with my car stereo and my Bluetooth headset?

I MUST have those working, and if I can't I'm going to have to dump this phone and go back to my HTC One M8. Thank goodness I didn't sell my old phone.

Out of all the Android devices I have personally owned (at leat 10 of them), by far, this Moto Z has been the absolute worst experience. For 100% sure, if I had of known about these problems before I purchased the phone, I would have an LG, Samsung or Sony phone right now. It's unfortunate that I ahve already purchased a mod, and several cases, chargers, screen protectors, holster and cables for it, otherwise I would be on my carrier's case (Telus) to take it back and give me something that works.

The thing that kills me is that, I absolutely love the mods, and the phone hardware is fantastic, but the software ruins the entire experience.

I appologise for taking my frustratious out on the moderators here. I have literally been spending hours and hours and hours over the last week trying to find a solution for a problem that shouldn't exist.

Is there no way to remove the "google voice and moto" apps, and replace the dialer with one that works like other phones? (the dialer really sucks on this phone too). I just want my hands free equipment to work as it should.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,428
Message 2 of 8

Re: Need help with voice dial from hands free headset and car stereo

Maybe if you list car make and model, someone will have an idea on contacts transfer. Also, if you go into bt settings on phone and hit the gear icon next to your car, does it list a bt address book function? 

The headset you list doesnt say anything about a voice dial function, so if you dont want to use google/moto voice, i dont see how it work. 

I am not sure why you think it would say voice dial. With my plantronics headset,  i just say "ok moto z" and i hear a beep in the headset (the phone heard the command via speaker) and i say "call bob" and in my headset i hear "calling bob" . The button on this headset will not initiate anything. 

I have a motorola finiti headset, ans tapping the button launches google voice with a chime. No verbal queu, just a beep. Then i say a command. 

I am not sure why you are not able to duplicate this with the headset. But all headsets are a bit different. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Mergatroid
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,405
Message 3 of 8

The instructions for the new bluetooth headset I purchased are pretty clear. It does voice dial, and to initiate it I am to long-press the button.

We connected this headset at work to my bosses blackberry Priv and it workd fine (exactly as described).

As I mentioned, the stereo is a Pyle car stereo. It is an aftermarket stereo and did not come with the car. I installed it myself. That's why I didn't mention the make and model of the car.

I will check and see what the options say for the car stereo.

BINGO. That was a good hint you gave me. When I was looking through the bluetooth devices listed in my phone, all of them would list Phone Audio, Media Audio and a third option would be "Share Contacts" in the settings cog, but that option would always disappear before I could select it (even for the stereo). I checked the phone book and it was set to chare the contacts, and when I tried to make the phone share with the car stereo it would say "no bluetooth devices are available".

It was actually really simple. Every time I open the bluetooth "more settings" option, it would automatically open the on-screen keyboard so you could rename the bluetooth device if you so desired. For the car stereo entry, the keyboard was actually pushing the "Share Contacts" option off the screen. Once I closed the keyboard, the Share Contacts option came back, and I was able to select it. I just checked in the car, and it is now receiving the address book and I can place a call from my stereo as I could with the HTC. I think this option should have been on as a default, just like Phone Audio and Media Audio are on by default.

Now, you say you can use the moto-on phrase to get your phone to dial. This would be better than nothing, however even when I have my headset(s) connected to the phone, it's still listening through the microphone on the phone.

How can I get it to switch to the microphone on the headset? It's like it doesn't see the microphone on the headset, but I know it works because I can answer a call with it, and it works on other phones.

The funny thing is, if I quick-press the button, the phone starts playing music, just like it's supposed to. But when I long-press for voice-dial, the phone does not respond. This is the crux of the issue, the phone not responding to a long-press when every other phone I try does respond.

I've just turned off Moto Voice, since it's not working as I need it to, and I am going to try just Google Voice and see if it helps at all. So far it's not helping. It will pull up a number I ask for, but it won't start dialing unless I press a dial button. That makes it pretty useless for hands free.

As I see it, there are two issues remaining. One, the phone is still ignoring a long-press from the headset. This should enable voice dial on all Android phones, but I think because this phone has been designed to use either Moto Voice or Google Voice, it no longer has the software that was responding to a headset button press on other phones.

Two, the phone is not seeing the microphone on the headset for some reason, and will not respond to or use that microphone until a call has been established, and then for some reason it starts using the microphone on the headset.

I would just blame the headset, but I have tried four other headsets that worked on my other phones, and work on my bosses Priv, and they get the same results when their voice dial button is pressed.

Is there some way of assigning functions to buttons on bluetooth devices in Android?

Mergatroid
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,402
Message 4 of 8

Additional Information

Here is someone having a similar issue with Google Voice in a developers forum. As you can see from their discussion, one person mentions that a long press of his headset button brings up Google Now.

I provide this link just as a FYI, so you can see that bluetooth headsets are set up to cause the phone to respond to a long press.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/general/accessories/ok-google-doesnt-via-bluetooth-headset-t3120559

I'm going to try the app he mentions, Smart Bluetooth Headset and see if it helps.

Mergatroid
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,400
Message 5 of 8

OK, here is more information.

I have one last problem to solve. I contacted the seller of my new bluetooth headset, they they told me that, they are not sure why, but the dial initializarion voice routines will respond to a double press of the button, which is supposed to be "last number redial". Apparently only on the Moto phones it will activate the voice dial. Seems to be working for now.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,386
Message 6 of 8

@Mergatroid wrote:

OK, here is more information.

I have one last problem to solve. I contacted the seller of my new bluetooth headset, they they told me that, they are not sure why, but the dial initializarion voice routines will respond to a double press of the button, which is supposed to be "last number redial". Apparently only on the Moto phones it will activate the voice dial. Seems to be working for now.

Glad you got it.  Just to be clear, my bt mic is not listening when i say "ok moto z" (or google) ,  but my phone is. My phone hears me when i say that.  For bt to hear anything requires a button push on bt. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Mergatroid
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,375
Message 7 of 8

So I discovered the seller was incorrect. The app I downloaded "smart Bluetooth headset" was remapping the keys of the headset.

Once I removed it, the phone stopped responding again, so I purchased the app. It's unfortunate that I need an app to do something every other phone does out of the box.

Thanks for your help. Your hint about the Bluetooth setting for the stereo led me to the solution.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,373
Message 8 of 8

@Mergatroid wrote:

So I discovered the seller was incorrect. The app I downloaded "smart Bluetooth headset" was remapping the keys of the headset.

Once I removed it, the phone stopped responding again, so I purchased the app. It's unfortunate that I need an app to do something every other phone does out of the box.

Thanks for your help. Your hint about the Bluetooth setting for the stereo led me to the solution.

I have 2 bluetooth headsets that work fine with the Z. Pushing the talk button initiates the phone. I am not sure why yours does not. You could try resetting network settings and repairing everything - but the Z phone itself does what all my other phones do - the problem you describe seems localized to your phone. 

Top Kudoed Authors