cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Cujo
Paper Tape
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎09-28-2015
Location: United States
Views: 874
Message 1 of 13

No audio jack? Are you kidding me?

Hi, was seriously considering the Moto Z after many years of enjoying Moto X. You completely had me until "no audio jack"  What? Cant plug in earphones? Are you guys crazy? Yes there is bluetooth. But guess what some corporations are starting to prohibit bluetooth devices in the workplace. Bluetooth technology has been involved with security breeches within some companies.  Yes it's true, I work for one of them.  So no audio jack =  can't use Moto Z at my office. Big fail. Can't buy Moto Z. 

And besides my own personal work issue... many people still use wired earbuds. They are more reliable. Bluetooth still has some improvements to make. This ommission of a key feature will have me looking elsewhere. Makes me sad Smiley Sad

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 28,156
Registered: ‎02-02-2016
Location: US
Views: 819
Message 2 of 13

Re: No audio jack? Are you kidding me?


@Cujo wrote:

Hi, was seriously considering the Moto Z after many years of enjoying Moto X. You completely had me until "no audio jack"  What? Cant plug in earphones? Are you guys crazy? Yes there is bluetooth. But guess what some corporations are starting to prohibit bluetooth devices in the workplace. Bluetooth technology has been involved with security breeches within some companies.  Yes it's true, I work for one of them.  So no audio jack =  can't use Moto Z at my office. Big fail. Can't buy Moto Z. 

And besides my own personal work issue... many people still use wired earbuds. They are more reliable. Bluetooth still has some improvements to make. This ommission of a key feature will have me looking elsewhere. Makes me sad Smiley Sad


Why can't you use the USB-C to 3.5mm dongle that ships with the phone? You can plug in any pair of earphones. 


* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Cujo
Paper Tape
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎09-28-2015
Location: United States
Views: 806
Message 3 of 13

Re: No audio jack? Are you kidding me?

Thanks for your reply. I went and searched for a photo of it online. It appears when the USB-C to to 3.5mm dongle is in use, you cannot charge your phone. Is this correct?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 28,156
Registered: ‎02-02-2016
Location: US
Views: 804
Message 4 of 13

Re: No audio jack? Are you kidding me?


@Cujo wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I went and searched for a photo of it online. It appears when the USB-C to to 3.5mm dongle is in use, you cannot charge your phone. Is this correct?


Not with the dongle that comes in the box - it only has one port for the headphone jack. But i imagine someone could make one that does both.

Or you could use a battery mod and charge the phone with that. 

 

I guess some would find it a deal breaker, but I have almost never charged my phone and used wired headset at the same time now - with both a USB and headphone port. I don't see that changing. 


And the first mod I would want would be wireless charging - hoping a back that just does that comes out soon - that would eliminate me ever having to plug in a charging cable.


* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
ah42
HDMI
Posts: 226
Registered: ‎11-05-2014
Location: US
Views: 785
Message 5 of 13

Re: No audio jack? Are you kidding me?


@AlphaDog wrote:

@Cujo wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I went and searched for a photo of it online. It appears when the USB-C to to 3.5mm dongle is in use, you cannot charge your phone. Is this correct?


Not with the dongle that comes in the box - it only has one port for the headphone jack. But i imagine someone could make one that does both.

Or you could use a battery mod and charge the phone with that. 

 

I guess some would find it a deal breaker, but I have almost never charged my phone and used wired headset at the same time now - with both a USB and headphone port. I don't see that changing. 


And the first mod I would want would be wireless charging - hoping a back that just does that comes out soon - that would eliminate me ever having to plug in a charging cable.



It would be nice have just a back with wireless charging, but with how bad the battery life is I have to rely on the power pack to get me past 2 pm. With the power pack it gets me through the whole day no problem.

 

I have the Incipio wireless charging power pack, so I can wirelessly charge and plug in headphones at the same time. Though in my case, I haven't used a headphone jack in years since I only use bluetooth headphones and bluetooth in my car. But that's only my particular case. I could see where people would be put off if they have a pair of really nice wired headphones. 

 

Edit: Check these USB type C headphones out - Article They're a little pricey but we're going to start seeing more accessories that cater to the type-C port.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 4,167
Registered: ‎12-10-2006
Location: United States
Views: 760
Message 6 of 13

Re: No audio jack? Are you kidding me?

Google Moto Z Play Smiley Wink

 

i am not a Moto employee and just help out here 

natemail
Fanfold Paper
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎08-26-2016
Location: US
Views: 674
Message 7 of 13

Re: No audio jack? Are you kidding me?

I almost took my phone back after thinkign about the implications of not being able to charge while listening to music.  I solved the problem with a bluetooth reciver for my car, and am holding out hope that there will be a mod with the 3.5mm in the near future.. or a passthrough for charging/headphones.  I really am suprised they did not ship the phone with some sort of split dongle with usb c and 3.5mm instead of just the 3.5mm.  Might not be the best solution but would at least give users an option.

ramdve
Token Ring
Posts: 174
Registered: ‎12-08-2015
Location: SI
Views: 657
Message 8 of 13

Re: No audio jack? Are you kidding me?

for sure there will be in near future
Moto X4
Pbike908
Punch Card
Posts: 112
Registered: ‎01-10-2016
Location: US
Views: 644
Message 9 of 13

Re: No audio jack? Are you kidding me?

I don't care about listening to wired headphone and charging at same time.  I spend a lot of time outdoors.  The last think I want to do is keep track of a proprietary dongle that once I lose it I can no longer use my wired headphones.  And if there is one thing that happens with small cables that are used outside the home, it's only a matter of time until you use it.  Or you leave it somewhere, or you forget it, etc.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 4,167
Registered: ‎12-10-2006
Location: United States
Views: 626
Message 10 of 13

Re: No audio jack? Are you kidding me?

Moto Z Play has the headphone jack