Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ah42
HDMI
Views: 622
Message 1 of 4

Observation on size with power pack

I was disappointed when I heard of the tiny 2600 mAh battery in the new Moto Z and the lack of wireless charging. But with the 2220 mAh power pack added, you'll get a total of 4820 mAh. And there's an option for wireless in the power pack. If I got this phone I would probably just leave the power pack on it all the time. This lead me to look up the full specs of both the phone and power pack (the incipio with wireless charging).

Phone -  5.19 mm, 136 g
Pack -    6.2 mm, 85 g

Total -   11.39 mm, 221 g

This isn't too bad compared to my current Droid Turbo (ballistic nylon) at 11.2 mm, 176 g. Battery life is the most important factor for me when buying a phone. All of the other specs are great, and at 4820 mAh I bet the battery life would be great. The only thing holding me back from getting this phone is Moto's horrible track record with software updates over the last couple of years. It gets even worse when it's a carrier exclusive like the Droids. Now I need to decide whether to gamble on MotoLenovo's ability to update phones or just wait for the next Nexus.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 565
Message 2 of 4

Re: Observation on size with power pack

My biggest problem right now is the price. I have gotten use to the lower pricing that Moto has had in previous years. Now, they are asking for over 600 for the Z and over 700 for the Z Force. That doesn't include any Mods, either.

I am not having any problems with my Moto X Pure, so I guess that I will be sticking with that for now. I have been drooling on Moto's store about getting it. I love getting the newest Moto phones, but I just can't justify the higher cost right now. 

In time, I might get one. I may not be able to tell myself no forever. LOL

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

BenjaminDuncan
SCSI Port
Views: 523
Message 3 of 4

I, like you, debated whether I really needed an upgrade since my Pure is essentially still like new in both aesthetics and performance. I had intended to get the Z Force, because a) I liked the idea of being able to slap a battery mod on for those days when data centers go boom or some other emergency requires many, many hours on con calls and IM, b) I was hoping for a camera mod (which looks like is in the works), since I take most of the photos for tech blogging, kids, EDC gear, etc. on my phone and c) I wanted to support the innovation behind the Moto Mod concept. I think, given Ara hasn't really hit primetime, the Moto Mod model is the best implementation of modular mobile that has yet been tried. It is at a much higher price point than the X series, but I also think it is intended to hit a different market.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 512
Message 4 of 4

@BenjaminDuncan wrote:

I, like you, debated whether I really needed an upgrade since my Pure is essentially still like new in both aesthetics and performance. I had intended to get the Z Force, because a) I liked the idea of being able to slap a battery mod on for those days when data centers go boom or some other emergency requires many, many hours on con calls and IM, b) I was hoping for a camera mod (which looks like is in the works), since I take most of the photos for tech blogging, kids, EDC gear, etc. on my phone and c) I wanted to support the innovation behind the Moto Mod concept. I think, given Ara hasn't really hit primetime, the Moto Mod model is the best implementation of modular mobile that has yet been tried. It is at a much higher price point than the X series, but I also think it is intended to hit a different market.

I completely agree with you. I wish I were in that market. Unfortunately, I am not. I desperately want to get this phone and all the mods. I know, though, that I wouldn't use the mods enough to get my money's worth from it.

That doesn't stop me from wanting it. I will just sit back and drool over wanting it for now. I am OK with not getting it. The little kid in me that wants it isn't, but I can control him. LOL

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Top Kudoed Authors