01-19-2018

United States of America

2 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 1 of 11

Phone keeps shutting off while taking picture

2018-01-19, 14:42 PM

My Moto z is only 6 months old since replacement by protection plan. Recently, it keeps shutting off when I am using camera with flash. Battery is almost half full. I wonder if there is a glitch in the system. Is there anyone having the same issue? Any solution for this. I read other posts and did perform better calibration but no help. If this cannot be fixed, this is my last Moto and for the rest of my family. We have 7 Motos in the house. 

Options

2438 Posts

12-19-2016

Philippines

477 Signins

37577 Page Views

• Views: 37577
  • Message 2 of 11

Re: Phone keeps shutting off while taking picture

2018-01-19, 21:07 PM

Hi BillyPham

May I ask what happened before this started? Has the phone been updated? Are you using the stock camera app or a third party app? Have you tried safe mode and see if it would be the same? 

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

Options

4 Posts

08-20-2018

United States of America

4 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 3 of 11

2018-08-20, 18:27 PM
Same here. Camera is useless as it shuts the phone down. Also fast battery drain.
Options

12039 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1196 Signins

162455 Page Views

• Views: 162455
  • Message 4 of 11

2018-08-20, 19:07 PM

Hi Jen71,

Thanks for posting on this thread. Are you using the regular camera app? If so, let's test the camera on safemode and see if it will do the same there.

To Enable Safe Mode
1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.
2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.
3. Phone will reboot and Safe Mode will appear in bottom left corner

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

4 Posts

08-20-2018

United States of America

4 Signins

44 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2018-08-20, 19:46 PM

Safemode appears to be working although the battery drain is still alarming and seems to be another issue.  So what does that prove if it works in safemode? 

Options

4 Posts

08-20-2018

United States of America

4 Signins

44 Page Views

• Message 6 of 11

2018-08-20, 20:54 PM

Disregard. All safemode did was allow the phone to stay on until I tried to shut it down to put it back in regular mode. as soon as I tried to shut it down while still in safe mode it drain the battery down to 1% and shut itself off and wouldn't turn back on until it was plugged in for some time. Actually this is starting to happen even without using the camera, it appears to be a battery issue and I am completely disappointed.

Options

12039 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1196 Signins

162455 Page Views

• Views: 162455
  • Message 7 of 11

2018-08-21, 14:35 PM

Hi Jen71,

Thanks for trying. I would suggest doing a factory data reset without restoring any apps. Just go to Settings > Reset > Factory Data Reset. We need to make sure that there are no third-party apps installed after resetting the phone so we can have a better observation. If you have important files please back up them up so you won't lose any of it. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

4 Posts

07-16-2018

United States of America

17 Signins

125 Page Views

• Views: 125
  • Message 8 of 11

2018-09-14, 8:39 AM

Same exact issue here! Does it in Safe Mode too! Every photo attempt with stock camera, with or without flash. Oreo 8.0 Moto Z Force XT1650-02. 

Possibly related: Also shuts down when battery is 40-70% full. I've tried the battery reset configuration steps, didn't work.

Options

44 Posts

08-22-2018

India

99 Signins

663 Page Views

• Views: 663
  • Message 9 of 11

2018-09-16, 1:39 AM

Exactly this is the very first symptom for the start of all this mess. After few days situation will go more worst and you wont be able to use ur phone very long and need to plugin the xharger everytime...

This all started around April-May Oreo updates and security patch this year.

Regards
AquaBlue05
Options

4 Posts

07-16-2018

United States of America

17 Signins

125 Page Views

• Views: 125
  • Message 10 of 11

2018-09-16, 16:35 PM

SOLVED FINALLY!! (So I came back to share but BTW this took 2½ hours to write up so I sure hope it helps!!?)

I discovered (simple) SOLUTION to 'phone turning off with use of camera' on Moto Z Force XT1650 and likely most if not all phones. ((PLEASE NOTE: YES, closely following these simple and basic steps WILL keep your saved personal data intact))

Most Important Steps To Do First:

To start, for now:

»(temporarily)ENABLE ALL APPS! (Especially system apps)

»RESET APPLICATION SETTINGS & PERMISSIONS (TO SYSTEM DEFAULT)

»RESTART PHONE TWICE PRIOR TO attempting to take photo with camera to see if phone remains on.

The next few steps are only necessary IF the 3 steps above didn't work.

Continuing On:

»GRANT CAMERA PERMISSIONS TO ALL APPS BOTH SYSTEM APPS AND DOWNLOADED APPS!

Grant all permissions within SPECIAL PERMISSION ACCESS: Modify System, Display On Top Of Other Apps, Notification Access, Device Admin, and so on.

Grant BACKGROUND DATA to ALL System Apps.

Clear System Cache within Settings»Storage»Cache»Clear System Catch-OK.

STEP-BY-STEP DETAIL EXPLANATION:

1) Go into your SETTINGS,

then APPS & NOTIFICATIONS,

then APP INFO,

Choose ALL APPS in drop down menu,
then select the menu button which is in right upper corner of screen by pressing on the small vertical 3 dots in order to open up menu and select RESET APP PREFERENCES. And OKAY confirmation.

2) Restart phone twice and test camera.

If taking a picture is still forcing your phone to turn off then continue on with the next simple step(s)..

3) Go back to SETTINGS and APP PERMISSIONS, and for CAMERA PERMISSIONS, choose SHOW SYSTEM apps,

3) Then, for the time being, enable (turn on/approve) CAMERA permissions for every app possible to start with which all should be enabled already from previous step but just in case the previous step didn't work we are doing it manually.

[TIP for Later but only after your Camera & Phone issue has been resolved: FYI, you can/should eventually return to this menu to disable the camera permissions to most of your downloaded/installed/3rd party apps only (not disabling camera permissions to any system apps) <ideally by using the safest approach of disabling ONLY one app at a time while confirming you still have proper use of camera before disabling more app's camera permissions or any permissions for that matter> but make sure to keep the camera permissions enabled on each of the SYSTEM Apps from now on.]

4) Test phone by taking picture with camera.
Additional Steps I Used:
I also went thru the vast majority of all 344 installed apps (No typo here- my phone has nearly three-hundred and fifty apps installed thanks to formatting my 64GB sd card as Internal memory ultimately allowing me nearly 100GB of Internal Memory (96GB -(minus) system uses and the like ) starting off with every System app and 3rd party app that may be require the camera permission to function and I made sure the check box option for allowing BACKGROUND DATA was permitted for each of these apps (approximately 50- appsSUMMARY OF STEPS: (detailed steps below summary)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms