Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dwerkmd
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,275
Message 1 of 6

Physical QWERTY capable?

I know this thing was just announced but please return to me my physical keyboard. I've been using a touch screen for a couple years after my droid 4 went dead and I'm still frustrated with it.

bmccrary
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,190
Message 2 of 6

Re: Physical QWERTY capable?

I posted the same question a few weeks ago when I first saw the modular design of the Z.  I'm still running my Photon Q with CM13 but have gone through a lot of hardware bits in the past year to keep it going.  I would really love to see this become a reality!  If we can get enough support maybe Lenovo will listen to us!  I would think the demand would be more so than, say, the speaker module, but maybe I'm wrong.  The only issue I really see would be what to do with the hole that these modules apparantely have to have for the camera to pass through.  Maybe just put another camera on the keyboard module or require the keyboard to be slid out when taking pictures, which I wouldn't mind.  Or just design the keyboard around the hole.  I know a "homebuilt" one was made for Jolla's phone with the help of a 3D printer and a kickstarter campaign.

ryzilla
HDMI
Views: 1,139
Message 3 of 6

It's up to some company to make one. 

bmccrary
Fanfold Paper
Views: 853
Message 4 of 6

I know this is an old thread but I just saw this from a Network World article "How Moto Mods went from concept to product." Paul Fordham, lead mechanical architect on the Moto Mods design team says: "We built a battery module that had a full QWERTY keyboard inside. I could show it to you; it's almost like a slider type concept for people who like the tactile feel of a real keyboard. We had all these different ideas that we hadn't even partly developed."

So, Motorola, what do we need to do to make this happen?  A petition, kickstarter, etc?  I am willing to do what I could to help.  I have a decent electronics background and access to a 3D printer if this would help.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 849
Message 5 of 6

You need this.  Go for it!

bmccrary
Fanfold Paper
Views: 830
Message 6 of 6

Thanks for the link to the developer kit.  I am going to go ahead and purchase a Z and the kit to work with, while I continue to use my beloved Photon Q in the meantime.  I don't know if this will ever be possible, but would love to get some info from Lenovo/Moto Mods team about their keyboard.  The main question of course is if that project has actually been canceled.  If it has, would the team consider "open sourcing" or licensing the design and what design plans that may have already been made up?  I'm up for doing some work here, but I see no need to reinvent what it appears the Moto Mods team has already started.  It would be awesome if someone that might know something about the keyboard mod could chime in.

Top Kudoed Authors