Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rosm2004
SCSI Port
Views: 658
Message 1 of 15

Something happened to the camera app

Something changed with the latest version of the default camera app. The icons and shutter button are overlayed on a darkened background which takes up over a quarter of the screen! This makes it difficult to frame a wide (16:9) picture because this overlay partially obscures the right side of the picture. It seems totally unnecessary - the icons were just as easy to see without being on an overlay. And why does it take up so much space? Is there any way to get rid of it?

camerasquare.JPG

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 632
Message 2 of 15

Re: Something happened to the camera app

Hi Rosm2004,

Thanks for posting. The darkened part of the screen is working as designed. It works as a frame for the icons shown in your screenshot. I just tested mine it doesn't necessarily affect the size of the pictures. Thanks for your feedback though. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Rosm2004
SCSI Port
Views: 591
Message 3 of 15

Thank you for replying. I realize that this is the way it's supposed to work, but it's really annoying. It didn't used to be that way and is totally unnecessary. The little icons could all fit on the small strip to the left, while the shutter button remains where it is, without a frame. When trying to frame a picture, the dark overlay partially obscures the right side, which is very distracting and makes it hard  see how the whole picture looks.  

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 538
Message 4 of 15

Hi Rosm2004,

I can picture out your suggestion and I personally like that idea. Thanks for sharing appreciate it. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Rosm2004
SCSI Port
Views: 507
Message 5 of 15

I think I've resolved the problem by uninstalling the update and going back to the previous version, which did not have the wide overlay. It was also much easier to zoom and to view the photo just taken by swiping left. I don't understand why they changed the interface.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 504
Message 6 of 15

Hi Rosm2004,

Thanks for that information, I just noticed that just now. The update actually makes the camera perform faster but I'm not sure about the reasons behind the changing of interface though. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Rosm2004
SCSI Port
Views: 470
Message 7 of 15

Thanks, Rich. Actually, the camera became slower after the update! It takes forever to capture the shot and I've lost several good shots (of animals, for example) because of the delay. I am going to try again with the update uninstalled.

I had to uninstall it again because I had apps set to update automatically. There doesn't seem to a method of selecting which apps to update automatically.
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 460
Message 8 of 15

Hi Rosm2004,

Can you estimate how many seconds it'll take to capture a picture? If you're using an SD card as your file location, I would suggest switching it back to Phone's memory or try unmounting the SD card. We can also test this in safe mode. 

To Enable Safe Mode

1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.

2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.

3. Touch OK when Reboot to safe mode appears

4. Phone will reboot and Safe Mode will appear in bottom left corner

5. If the issue does not remain in safe mode, this indicates a third party application installed from the Play Store is causing the problem.

6. Restart the device to get out of safe mode and uninstall any recently installed applications.

*** Begin by looking for specific application types such as launchers, task killers or anti-virus apps.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Rosm2004
SCSI Port
Views: 453
Message 9 of 15

I've uninstalled the update and reverted to the previous version, which works fine. There is no delay at all between the time I press the shutter button and the time it takes to capture, even in HDR mode and storing to SD. With the update, there was a noticeable delay - at least 1 or 2 seconds. I saw no improvement at all with the updated version, only problems.
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 411
Message 10 of 15

Hi Rosm2004,

Thanks for the response we'll try to replicate this. We still need to test it without the SD card just to make sure it's not caused by the SD card. Also, make sure to update "Photos" app in Playstore and uninstall all third-party camera apps and then clear the cache of the camera (Settings > Apps > Camera > Storage > Clear Cache). Please let me know for any improvement, thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Top Kudoed Authors