Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thomas-
Punch Card
Views: 7,704
Message 1 of 50

Swollen battery on my Moto Z

Hello

I just discovered that my Moto Z which was purchased less than a year ago has gotten a swollen battery. If I try to push the screen back into the frame it will pop right back up. I really hope there's no fire hazard. I'm returning mine for warranty repair today.

Brgds...   /Thomas

MotoZ.swollen.battery.png

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 7,544
Message 2 of 50

Re: Swollen battery on my Moto Z

Hi Thomas-

I'm sorry to hear that the battery swelled, but let me see what I can do. Can you send us your your IMEI number along with your personal information via PM? Thanks!

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

007india1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,513
Message 3 of 50

Battery warranty is normally 6months. There is no other option but to change battery.

mikeurl
Paper Tape
Views: 7,385
Message 4 of 50

Hi, I'm having the same issue. I'm not planning to pay for a repair but I wanted to let Motorola know I also have a unit with a swollen battery. It's over a year old so I'm certain it's out of warranty. It still works but could obviously be a fire hazard.

ncamaraljr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,091
Message 5 of 50

Re: Swollen battery on my Moto Z Play

Hello

My Moto Z Play which was purchased less than a year ago has gotten a swollen battery also, and went do the Motorola Assistence shop here in Brasil , Goiânia and they said it was because of the humiditty of the air , and water entered de phone. And they dont whant to take it under  warranty repair.

Sent Email to Motorola USA and Brasil, but still no help from no one.IMG_20180312_201848.jpgIMG_20180312_201853.jpgIMG_20180312_201901.jpgIMG_20180312_201916.jpgIMG_20180312_201925.jpgIMG_20180312_201929.jpgIMG_20180312_201941.jpgIMG_20180312_201949.jpgIMG_20180313_071702.jpg

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 7,031
Message 6 of 50

Re: Swollen battery on my Moto Z Play

Hi ncamaraljr,

Thanks for posting. We're sorry to know about this. In this matter, I suggest sending the phone for repair.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

mohammed_rafi_a
What's DOS?
Views: 6,964
Message 7 of 50

I also have the same issue..I am using Moto z play more than a year.so there will not be a chance to get battery warranty..my battery is bulged and it's pushing the display out day by day..

Is there any Moto service in Qatar..?

Odell
What's DOS?
Views: 6,880
Message 8 of 50

I'm facing the same issue. I went to the service center and at first they tell me that it seems like a battery issue and we will have to remove the screen but if the screen breaks then it's on you. 

I had to then call the customer care team and only then the service center guys said that they will take responsibility for the repairs. 

But then they realise they don't have a replacement battery so now i have to wait for a week. 

So the phone is still with me. I'm just concerned that this will not cause a Fire Hazard in anyway. 

Is it safe to use the phone till then? 

Lilien
Core Memory
Views: 6,868
Message 9 of 50

@Odell

I'm sorry, but beware, it's not safe!

Don’t charge or use it at all, because bulged lithium-ion batteries have already bypassed builtin safeguards and are swollen with gases. Continued charging or use could lead to a runaway reaction that results in a fire or an explosion.

At least further bulging could mechanically damage the phone or corrosive chemicals can leak into the phone body, which can also severely damage your phones components. DON'T USE IT!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 6,867
Message 10 of 50

@Odellwrote:

I'm facing the same issue. I went to the service center and at first they tell me that it seems like a battery issue and we will have to remove the screen but if the screen breaks then it's on you. 

I had to then call the customer care team and only then the service center guys said that they will take responsibility for the repairs. 

But then they realise they don't have a replacement battery so now i have to wait for a week. 

So the phone is still with me. I'm just concerned that this will not cause a Fire Hazard in anyway. 

There's no way anyone in this forum can answer that question for you.  To be on the safe side, don't use it until it has been repaired.

Top Kudoed Authors