Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DragoonMan
What's DOS?
Views: 878
Message 21 of 50

Re: Swollen battery on my Moto Z

My Moto Z Play is doing the exact same thing. The one year warranty is expired and I still have 6 months on my Verizon contract. I took it to a repair shop and they quoted me $90 to replace the battery. They also told me that they are seeing alot of these Moto Z doing the same thing. She also told me that it is dangerous. I went to Verizon and they wanted me to buy another phone. The phone is in perfect condition other than the battery swelling and pushing up the screen.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 851
Message 22 of 50

Hi DragoonMan,

Thanks for posting on this thread. Sorry to know about this. I would like to help. Could you please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Also, if possible, please send us a picture of the phone so we can have a reference. Thanks. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Jen43
What's DOS?
Views: 824
Message 23 of 50

I am having the same problem.

AjH4
Blue Screen Again
Views: 803
Message 24 of 50

i'm have the same issue with My Moto Z play :battery swollen screen raised -like to know how I can get Motorola to help my solve this problem.

jholli
Paper Tape
Views: 695
Message 25 of 50

Count me in too.

20 months with Moto Z play - carrier Verizon.  Never a problem with it working, charging, no failures.  I took off my protective case to clean that case and noticed screen was lifting off on left side of phone.  Never dropped; no water exposure - keep it in protective case and that case is inside a cloth bag inside a purse when not on desk at work or counter top at home. 

Contacted both Verizon and Motorola by phone.  They, as others have shared on this forum, consider it "physical damage" - well yes, it is.  But not due to the operator use.  It's more likely a manufacturing defect and obviously related to a battery issue.  The left side of phone houses the battery.  Gluing on a screen without a flange to hold it onto the phone seems a flaw in design.  The bulge of a battery lifts off the screen;  a defective battery makes it bulge.

Customer support offerred only the option to pay in advance a 100.00 fee to return for a "Like New" = refurbished phone.  If damage is deamed to be user's fault, then cost can be retail price for another phone, presumably a same refurbished product.  Phone is turned off now, to be safe.  Only other option I know of is to pay Verizon the remaining 4 months to buy-out the phone and buy a new phone. 

This situation seems to be more prevalent with this phone as time passes.  Do I have any other options to fix this issue?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 656
Message 26 of 50

Hi jholli,

Thanks for posting. I understand your sentiments. I would love to further help you as far as troubleshooting steps concern, however, the swollen battery is already a hardware related issue and cannot be fixed just by troubleshooting. The time you have spent using the phone may normally cause battery failure. Our technicians are the best person repairing any hardware-related concerns, we highly recommend sending the phone for repair. Can you send me a pm here with your email address so I can look up your account? Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

kylemwhite
Paper Tape
Views: 643
Message 27 of 50

My Moto Z2 Play has the same problem. I noticed 1 month after warranty expired. Never been dropped nor wet, always in a case. Contacted Motorola and would have to pay for a repair because it's out of warranty. Yes, it's cheaper to pay for the repair than to buy a brand new phone but even after they repair it, the warranty is only good for another 3 months so I could be in the same spot 4 months from now. Love the phone otherwise but not sure if this model is a lemon and certainly don't want to keep paying for repairs.

Left Side.png

If this is a known problem, and it seems to be, then shouldn't Moto be recalling or at least fixing for free?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 640
Message 28 of 50

I think that before you make any decisions, you might want to think about how much time the phone has spent in heat.  I'm not saying the phone can't take any heat...it can run at 125F or more, and its operating temperature won't harm it.  But do you keep it in a holder in the car that exposes the entire device to sunlight during your commute or other trips?  Do you take it with you to the beach?  Is your home air conditioned?  If not, is there a ceiling/window/free-standing fan blowing near it to keep it (and your other electronics) cool?  If your phone is exposed to environmental heat often, it might be best to remove the case in very hot weather.  

Just sayin...

kylemwhite
Paper Tape
Views: 643
Message 29 of 50

No beaches in Sacramento. I have a 15 min commute and most of the rest of the time I am in an an air conditioned building (home and work). The phone has never seemed hot to me.
jholli
Paper Tape
Views: 603
Message 30 of 50

Do you have a specific course of action you wanted to suggest? With regard to a pm w/email, not ready to share without a reason. Thanks all the same. For ever post here about a failing product we all know there a many unreported. Lenovo needed to recall and replace or fix these defective products.
Top Kudoed Authors