Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 806
Message 31 of 50

Re: Swollen battery on my Moto Z

@jholli wrote:
Do you have a specific course of action you wanted to suggest? With regard to a pm w/email, not ready to share without a reason. Thanks all the same. For ever post here about a failing product we all know there a many unreported. Lenovo needed to recall and replace or fix these defective products.

I disagree with you and I have no inside knowledge of the number of people who complain, either in total or per issue.  What I do know is that the vast majority of people call support rather than join the forum.  After all, on the phone, or even chat, you can get an instant answer, but here, you may have to wait, sometimes days.

My Z Force Droid, 1st gen, is running just fine, and battery drain is not excessive even though I've taken a Verizon branded phone and switched it to TMobile.  TMo has a much smaller footprint where I am, which forces the phone to work harder to hold a signal, and still, the battery isn't draining that rapidly...faster than when on Verizon, but not unacceptable at all.  The point?  The Z line has been out there for 3 years, and you'd expect battery issues to begin cropping up.  There is, after all, a finite (but unknown) number of times the battery can be charged.

rbs62870
What's DOS?
Views: 775
Message 32 of 50

My husband and I have Moto Z Droid Play phones which we have had for about 21 months now.  My husband was having issues with keeping his charged so I took it into the Verizon store to swap his phone for my daughter's Moto Play phone which she was no longer using and realized the battery was badly swollen And bursting through the side of the phone when we removed it from the case.  I just started having charging issues and removed my case to check my phone and the battery is starting to bulge and push the front screen up just like husband's has done.  I googled and noticed this has been an issue with Motorola phones.  I was wondering if Motorola is doing anything to correct the issue and to help customers who are now having to purchase new phones.  This seems to be some sort of defect that has been going on for quite a while now.  

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 769
Message 33 of 50

If you change your search term to swollen Samsung battery or swollen LG battery or swollen iPhone battery, you'll find they all "have a problem with swollen batteries."

In fact, except for Samsung's battery fiasco a couple of years ago, all major manufacturers use quality batteries or no one would buy their phones.

Today's processors run faster & warmer than what we got used to a few years ago.  The phones are also more functional than they once were and we tend to keep them out more, mounted on dashboard brackets, on our bikes, we take them to the beach, etc., and they're running harder and longer than ever, in many cases wearing a case to protect it which holds the heat in.

And you mentioned that you daughter's phone was out of service for a while...was the phone plugged in during that time?

There 's more than one reason for a phone to swell, but it's usually caused by the way the phone was used (or not used) rather  than that it was faulty to begin with.

rbs62870
What's DOS?
Views: 763
Message 34 of 50

It was my husband's phone that had the swollen battery, not my daughter's.  Regardless, I'm sure you are right, it was the way that we both used our phones that most likely caused the issue.  

GaryInVA
What's DOS?
Views: 745
Message 35 of 50

I am on my second Z Play. First one had the screen separate because of a swollen battery after my warranty was over. I payed to return number 1 and get a refurbished Z Play. 9 months later on number 2 and it is doing it again. Like the phone but don't need a fire hazard in the house. Will start phone shopping this weekend.

easyrider65
Paper Tape
Views: 712
Message 36 of 50

Same here , how is everyone doing on the warranty with the claim of a swollen battery ?

Glen1999
What's DOS?
Views: 639
Message 37 of 50

This is terrible the Moto Z is a deffective product with this swelling battery issue.  My swelling started at about 18 months and totally failed at 19 months.  I have never had a phone not last three years.  We pay too much for the phone to not last.

Hamster4491
Paper Tape
Views: 554
Message 38 of 50

I have a moto Z2 force that I have had for 8 months.it has the same problem as many others, the front screen is coming off because something inside seems to be swelling .causing the screen to push out.I can still use the phone if I keep it on the charger 24 hours a day. I have called Motorola twice with zero results.

Glen1999
What's DOS?
Views: 540
Message 39 of 50

I was lucky I accidently had insurance on my phone and is only cost me $ 89 for a new phone.  Not sure if you have/use the additional battery, but I believe it contributed to my swollen battery.  I almost never drained any charge from my main battery.  Never thought about it.  But when I setup my new phone it prompted me how I wanted charging set.  It gives the option to use 20% of the phone battery before it uses the add on battery.  My friend who worked many years at Apple working with manufacturing issues said having the main battery at 100% all the time will contribute to swolling.  He also said Apple replaced phones with swollen batteryies even outside warrenty.

Insanesajii
What's DOS?
Views: 492
Message 40 of 50

This is a known issue with the motor Droid..they refuse to fix until you to it up with someone who knows about this known issue...and then they usually offer to help. But in alot of cases they don't. Honestly if more people came forward they would have to fix this issue, because it's been known to them. They just try to hide it as long as possible because it's not 100% of their phone batteries. . but if someone did get hurt because of it. That's a class action right there for everyone who ran into this issue or even bought one . Plus the person it happened to can legally sue them since they knew and did nothing.
Top Kudoed Authors