Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
unclemurray
Blue Screen Again
Views: 943
Message 1 of 7

Tmobile VoLTE issues

Hello. I recently purchased an unlocked  moto z play at BestBuy. For the first week or so i consistely got HD voice calls and noticed i was on band 12 (using LTE discovery. As of late i noticed I am stuck on Band 4 and when making calls it drops down to HSPA, even though my Nexus 6p right next to it is on tmobile band 12 just fine. 

Any idea what would cause this?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 939
Message 2 of 7

Re: Tmobile VoLTE issues

@unclemurray wrote:

Hello. I recently purchased an unlocked  moto z play at BestBuy. For the first week or so i consistely got HD voice calls and noticed i was on band 12 (using LTE discovery. As of late i noticed I am stuck on Band 4 and when making calls it drops down to HSPA, even though my Nexus 6p right next to it is on tmobile band 12 just fine. 

Any idea what would cause this?

Are you making a call on the 6p at the same time and it is staying on band 12 and doing VoLTE? Or is is just maintaining a band 12 data connection? 

Dropping to HSPA for data while making a call is normal when actively using traditional voice network. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
unclemurray
Blue Screen Again
Views: 906
Message 3 of 7

My 6p stays on lte and shows HD voice when talking to another compatible phone. The moto z would do the same when I first got it. Now it barely uses band 12. Lte discovery shows a band 12 signal but the phone keeps locking on band 4. Every now and then it will connect to band 12 briefly but not on a regular basis... 

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 870
Message 4 of 7

Hi unclemurray,

Please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here.

Also, kindly send a bug report regarding this. Bug report will collect information about your current device state.

Below are the steps for getting bug report:

1. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number seven times on the build number to enable a new Settings item, Developer options.
    2. Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On 
  • Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
  1. Once the issue is reproduced: Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.
  2. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes tocollect the Bug Report.
  3. Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link tothe BugReport  on the forums in a reply or via a private message..
  4. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the local time when you observed the behavior.

Thanks,

Joy

Motorola Support

heap1
Punch Card
Views: 840
Message 5 of 7

@unclemurray wrote:

My 6p stays on lte and shows HD voice when talking to another compatible phone. The moto z would do the same when I first got it. Now it barely uses band 12. Lte discovery shows a band 12 signal but the phone keeps locking on band 4. Every now and then it will connect to band 12 briefly but not on a regular basis... 

My understanding is that since band 4 is the primary band that T-Mobile uses for LTE, that your phone will lock on that Band first if its available. I have seen this behavior in other phones, not just the G4. Band 12 is primarily used as a back-up when Band 4 isn't available. This shouldn't effect VoLTE which should be available independent of what LTE band you're connected to. 

unclemurray
Blue Screen Again
Views: 773
Message 6 of 7

Hello @moto_joy. I updated my profile but please note the moto z play does not exist in the phone type drop down menu so i had to say moto z droid. 

This is an unlocked moto z play purchased at best buy. 

This issue has gotten worse. The phone will not stay on band 12 for more than a minute, even when the band 12 signal is much stronger than band 4. 

I no longer get HD voice calls and indoor reception haa been poor. 

I have seen numerous other users with this same issue posting in Android Central and reddit. 

I will try and post a bug report but there is no specific bug. Its just not working. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 770
Message 7 of 7

@unclemurray wrote:

@hello @Moto_Joy. I updated my profile but please note the moto z play does not exist in the phone type drop down menu so i had to say moto z droid. 

This is an unlocked moto z play purchased at best buy. 

This issue has gotten worse. The phone will not stay on band 12 for more than a minute, even when the band 12 signal is much stronger than band 4. 

I no longer get HD voice calls and indoor reception haa been poor. 

I have seen numerous other users with this same issue posting in Android Central and reddit. 

I will try and post a bug report but there is no specific bug. Its just not working. 

Bug report collects logs. So even if there is no visible error message, there could still be bugs reported in the logs. 

If others are reporting this on other sites, you should encourage them to post here and provide links to these other sites. Motorola has no idea of the scope of a problem if only one user reports it on these forums.  There are to many other forums online to try to keep track of them. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Top Kudoed Authors