cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
agc887
What's DOS?
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎11-17-2016
Location: US
Views: 1,307
Message 1 of 8

Turbo chargers 25w on moto z with incipio

Originally Moto Z with incipio power bank, comes with a stock 15w turbo charger, the moto Z force comes with a stock 30w and incipio power bank. What about if we use the 30w nor the 25w turbocharger on the normal Moto Z with the incipio Power bank? Remmember the 25w turbocharger is the stock charger on the Moto X Force.
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 28,185
Registered: ‎02-02-2016
Location: US
Views: 1,301
Message 2 of 8

Re: Turbo chargers 25w on moto z with incipio

Turbocharger technology is different between X force and Z. X models use Qualcomm quick charging. Z phones use USB-C. 

 

Qualcomm uses the data lines to increase voltage and this a big difference. USB-C is set to 5V but the amperage can vary by a lot. 

 

If you use a 25W X turbo charger with a Z - you need a converter on the end as the cable is fixed. The key thing, it will not turbocharge a Z. A QC turbocharger that is stuck at 5V, will be seen as a normal charger to the Z and the Z will pull max amps that it would for any normal charger. I guess about 2.1-2.4A - fast charging but not Turbo charging. 

 

If the 30W is a USB-C charger, then it should only charger at whatever rate the phone can handle. It is up to the phone to specify the amount of current it can draw. Just like a home appliance - your bedroom circuit is on a 15amp breaker. The power coming into your house is 100 - 400amps (or more) and if you plug in a 5amp power tool you are fine. Plug in a 20amp welder on a 15 amp circuit and it will try to pull 20 amps - but the circuit breaker will blow. 

 

So to summarize... any quality USB-C charger should be ok. Moto X Turbo-charger will work, but only as a standard charger. 


* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
NightcoreRaven
HDMI
Posts: 150
Registered: ‎11-13-2016
Location: US
Views: 1,171
Message 3 of 8

Re: Turbo chargers 25w on moto z with incipio


@AlphaDog wrote:

Turbocharger technology is different between X force and Z. X models use Qualcomm quick charging. Z phones use USB-C. 

 

Qualcomm uses the data lines to increase voltage and this a big difference. USB-C is set to 5V but the amperage can vary by a lot. 

 

If you use a 25W X turbo charger with a Z - you need a converter on the end as the cable is fixed. The key thing, it will not turbocharge a Z. A QC turbocharger that is stuck at 5V, will be seen as a normal charger to the Z and the Z will pull max amps that it would for any normal charger. I guess about 2.1-2.4A - fast charging but not Turbo charging. 

 

If the 30W is a USB-C charger, then it should only charger at whatever rate the phone can handle. It is up to the phone to specify the amount of current it can draw. Just like a home appliance - your bedroom circuit is on a 15amp breaker. The power coming into your house is 100 - 400amps (or more) and if you plug in a 5amp power tool you are fine. Plug in a 20amp welder on a 15 amp circuit and it will try to pull 20 amps - but the circuit breaker will blow. 

 

So to summarize... any quality USB-C charger should be ok. Moto X Turbo-charger will work, but only as a standard charger. 


With pulling 5V/2.4A how fast would it take to charge the device?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 28,185
Registered: ‎02-02-2016
Location: US
Views: 1,160
Message 4 of 8

Re: Turbo chargers 25w on moto z with incipio


@NightcoreRaven wrote:

@AlphaDog wrote:

Turbocharger technology is different between X force and Z. X models use Qualcomm quick charging. Z phones use USB-C. 

 

Qualcomm uses the data lines to increase voltage and this a big difference. USB-C is set to 5V but the amperage can vary by a lot. 

 

If you use a 25W X turbo charger with a Z - you need a converter on the end as the cable is fixed. The key thing, it will not turbocharge a Z. A QC turbocharger that is stuck at 5V, will be seen as a normal charger to the Z and the Z will pull max amps that it would for any normal charger. I guess about 2.1-2.4A - fast charging but not Turbo charging. 

 

If the 30W is a USB-C charger, then it should only charger at whatever rate the phone can handle. It is up to the phone to specify the amount of current it can draw. Just like a home appliance - your bedroom circuit is on a 15amp breaker. The power coming into your house is 100 - 400amps (or more) and if you plug in a 5amp power tool you are fine. Plug in a 20amp welder on a 15 amp circuit and it will try to pull 20 amps - but the circuit breaker will blow. 

 

So to summarize... any quality USB-C charger should be ok. Moto X Turbo-charger will work, but only as a standard charger. 


With pulling 5V/2.4A how fast would it take to charge the device?


I have no idea. 2.4 amps on non usb-c is a guess at a max amps. It could be the phone 

only draws 1.8amps.  And depending on temperature it could vary. Usb-c like qualcom quick charge uses data lines to monitor the battery and adjust charging for max conditions. But on usb-c phones, you only get the benefit with usb-c chargers. 


* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
NightcoreRaven
HDMI
Posts: 150
Registered: ‎11-13-2016
Location: US
Views: 1,152
Message 5 of 8

Re: Turbo chargers 25w on moto z with incipio

Ohh well then alright. I would think even though it's not usb type c to type c that the phone would still all the current that's avaible to it. 


@AlphaDog wrote:

@NightcoreRaven wrote:

@AlphaDog wrote:

Turbocharger technology is different between X force and Z. X models use Qualcomm quick charging. Z phones use USB-C. 

 

Qualcomm uses the data lines to increase voltage and this a big difference. USB-C is set to 5V but the amperage can vary by a lot. 

 

If you use a 25W X turbo charger with a Z - you need a converter on the end as the cable is fixed. The key thing, it will not turbocharge a Z. A QC turbocharger that is stuck at 5V, will be seen as a normal charger to the Z and the Z will pull max amps that it would for any normal charger. I guess about 2.1-2.4A - fast charging but not Turbo charging. 

 

If the 30W is a USB-C charger, then it should only charger at whatever rate the phone can handle. It is up to the phone to specify the amount of current it can draw. Just like a home appliance - your bedroom circuit is on a 15amp breaker. The power coming into your house is 100 - 400amps (or more) and if you plug in a 5amp power tool you are fine. Plug in a 20amp welder on a 15 amp circuit and it will try to pull 20 amps - but the circuit breaker will blow. 

 

So to summarize... any quality USB-C charger should be ok. Moto X Turbo-charger will work, but only as a standard charger. 


With pulling 5V/2.4A how fast would it take to charge the device?


I have no idea. 2.4 amps on non usb-c is a guess at a max amps. It could be the phone 

only draws 1.8amps.  And depending on temperature it could vary. Usb-c like qualcom quick charge uses data lines to monitor the battery and adjust charging for max conditions. But on usb-c phones, you only get the benefit with usb-c chargers. 


 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 28,185
Registered: ‎02-02-2016
Location: US
Views: 1,149
Message 6 of 8

Re: Turbo chargers 25w on moto z with incipio

That is why quick charge and usb-c (both branded turbo charging) are different. If the phone pulled max amps you would cook the battery. So a safe threshold is set. Turbo charging looks at other factors like temp, fullness, battery condition to vary the amps/volts and charge faster. 


* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
NightcoreRaven
HDMI
Posts: 150
Registered: ‎11-13-2016
Location: US
Views: 1,147
Message 7 of 8

Re: Turbo chargers 25w on moto z with incipio

So I do have to buy a new car charger then Smiley Sad

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 28,185
Registered: ‎02-02-2016
Location: US
Views: 1,144
Message 8 of 8

Re: Turbo chargers 25w on moto z with incipio


@NightcoreRaven wrote:

So I do have to buy a new car charger then Smiley Sad


If you want turbo charging on your z you need a usb-c charger.  Car or home doesnt matter. 


* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Top Kudoed Authors