Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dallas90733
Fanfold Paper
Views: 558
Message 1 of 3

Unlock vs Verizon update.

Can someone please explain to me how Moto updates a carrier specified phone, ahead of manufacture unlocked phone? This is really backwards to me who has every phone from MS to Nexus, I've never heard of any manufacturer update a carrier before a unlocked version.

Verizon Moto Z vs Moto Z!

Gets Android 7... Did I chose the wrong manufacture?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 508
Message 2 of 3

Re: Unlock vs Verizon update.

@Dallas90733 wrote:

Can someone please explain to me how Moto updates a carrier specified phone, ahead of manufacture unlocked phone? This is really backwards to me who has every phone from MS to Nexus, I've never heard of any manufacturer update a carrier before a unlocked version.

Verizon Moto Z vs Moto Z!

Gets Android 7... Did I chose the wrong manufacture?

This is a user to user forum, so no one here has any inside information.

but the Verizon Z launched well before the GSM Z - so it stands to reason that Verizon could be first. Developers have to work on something.  

And Motorola has updated Verizon first before, but not often.  

Did you pick the wrong manufacturer? Only you can answer that.  But i haven't seen any other manufacturer push N to a USA phone yet. Nor do any have mods for their phones. 

If there is one that fits these criteria and matches up to the Z in other ways, and you need some feature of N now, then maybe you picked the wrong manufacturer. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Dallas90733
Fanfold Paper
Views: 498
Message 3 of 3

Re: Unlock vs Verizon update.

Thank you for the feedback.

I'm aware of the forum and participates, I was hoping one of you guys who has been following Moto through time can answer this question.

Verizon did launch first, and like all carriers, they have to make sure, all their added application( we call bloatware) work properly with manufacture spin/bare-bone Android OS. So based on knowledge of the process of updates, it just puzzle me on how they get this update first. The least amount of testing against applications and variants the faster the update.

You mention this is sort of the norm for Verizon branded gets update faster than, Moto unlocked version, humm something to think about.

Thank you again, for clearing up how Moto operate. Their method and the way mobile lover operate is totally different, I truly enjoyed the Mods; however, like most top manufacture understand takes a little more to pull customers ( not beloved followers) away from other manufacturers.

Again, thank you for making me see what's important to me, cause after Samsung failure and Google phone wasn't out during the time I wanted to purchased. I thought would buy an unlocked (Verizon version would work on my carrier too) Moto Z to get the Mods and a little sooner update than Verizon customer.