cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lxtang
Paper Tape
Views: 1,365
Message 1 of 5

"com.android.phone has stopped" keeps poping up when use a sim card on roaming network.

Hi,

Please see the detail of the issue below:

Device: Moto Z Droid from Verizon

Sim provider: china telecom from China

Issue Summary:

Device keep posting "com.android.phone has stopped" error message when using a sim on roaming network. The error message was posting approximately every 3 seconds, making the phone completely unusable.

Background and what I have tried:

This device is with stock android 6.0 when first activated, in Bestbuy store, as a Verizon device. When I use the china telecom sim on it with stock android 6.0, everything is good. The sim logged the device onto AT&T network as a roaming status. I also tried Verizon/Tmobile sim, no issue at all.

However, when the device got an OTA update to android 7.0 a week ago, the issue came. When I use the china telecom sim, the message "com.android.phone has stopped" keeps posting on the screen. And at the same time, the signal bars come and go.

I have tried:

1. Clear app data and cache of app "phone", "contact", "sim-toolkit".

2. Do "wipe data factory reset" and "wipe cache" in recovery mode.

3. Factory reset both in recovery mode and setting menu.

4. Enter safe mode to test.

5. All without google account.

But the issue is still there. I tried sims from verizon and tmobile, all good without any issue.

Please provide some suggestion.

Thanks!

-Alex

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,339
Message 2 of 5

Re: "com.android.phone has stopped" keeps poping up when use a sim card on roaming network

@lxtang wrote:

Hi,

Issue Summary:

Device keep posting "com.android.phone has stopped" error message when using a sim on roaming network. The error message was posting approximately every 3 seconds, making the phone completely unusable.

This device is with stock android 6.0 when first activated, in Bestbuy store, as a Verizon device. When I use the china telecom sim on it with stock android 6.0, everything is good. The sim logged the device onto AT&T network as a roaming status. I also tried Verizon/Tmobile sim, no issue at all.

However, when the device got an OTA update to android 7.0 a week ago, the issue came. When I use the china telecom sim, the message "com.android.phone has stopped" keeps posting on the screen. And at the same time, the signal bars come and go.

I have tried:

But the issue is still there. I tried sims from verizon and tmobile, all good without any issue.

Thanks!

-Alex

Hello Alex,

This situation is really unwelcome. Can you please try to do one more factory data reset? This time please make sure that you disable the automatic restore option.

Would you please update your profile with the serial/IMEI/MEID number of your phone? Is it okay if we look into your apps? This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled.

For help in updating your profile, you can check this link

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,327
Message 3 of 5

Re: "com.android.phone has stopped" keeps poping up when use a sim card on roaming network

@lxtang wrote:

Hi,

Issue Summary:

I have tried:

Thanks!

-Alex

Hi lxtang,

Thanks for letting us know. Moto Z Droid is only exclusive to Verizon, meaning this will only work for Verizon. Phones sold by Verizon are CDMA phones which will not work with any GSM carriers like China Mobile. This phone is not an unlocked phone. We do have Moto Z GSM unlocked, which will work with GSM carriers for our customers to still use their phone to different GSM carriers.

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

lxtang
Paper Tape
Views: 1,292
Message 4 of 5

Hi JM,

Thank your for a reply.

I just update my profile with IMEI number of the device.

And I did the factory reset as you said today, with automatic restore option disabled.

All above was processed with Motorola Privacy enabled. Issue is still, nothing change.

Thank you again for the response, hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,

-Alex

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,282
Message 5 of 5

@lxtang wrote:

Hi JM,

Thank your for a reply.

I just update my profile with IMEI number of the device.

And I did the factory reset as you said today, with automatic restore option disabled.

All above was processed with Motorola Privacy enabled. Issue is still, nothing change.

Thank you again for the response, hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,

-Alex

Hi Alex,

I apologize for the confusion. To clarify, the Moto Z Droid is exclusive for Verizon, which means it will only work for Verizon. Verizon uses CDMA network for their phone service. The Moto Z Droid is NOT an unlocked phone so I'm afraid it will not work with other carriers like China Mobile, which is a GSM carrier.

We have another variant of this phone which is called the Moto Z GMS unlocked. This particular variant will work with GSM carriers so you can use this with different GSM networks of your choice.

Regards,

JM

Motorola Support

Top Kudoed Authors