US

4 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 1 of 8

4 Motorola Z3 Plays with static in the earpiece

2018-12-21, 23:53 PM

Hi.

I work for a telecom company and we have a customer that has a Motorola Z3 play. There's a lot of static in the earpiece. Customer opted going to Motorola to get the device looked at. Motorola ended up sending them a new replacement. Customer came in, got it activated and the issue still persisted. We ordered a replacement and same thing. We ordered another replacement and again, the same thing still occured. We are at a loss. Their old device works fine and no static. We checked the engineering/tower side of the network and there's no issues. We activated a different device and our device (LG) is working fine. Reactivated the Z3 and there's still static.

Any ideas? We did a Factory Data Reset and a Software Reflash. Software is up-to-date, not rooted, no tampering at all. We're trying to help the customer but after 4 phones with the same issues, we are at a loss.

Options

821 Posts

02-20-2009

US

999 Signins

6031 Page Views

• Views: 6031
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: 4 Motorola Z3 Plays with static in the earpiece

2018-12-22, 4:19 AM

First...we are talking about the speaker on the phone...not some 3rd party earpiece, correct?

You did not say if you ran the phone in safe mode, which will disable sideloaded apps. I would do that, as it is not intrusive...when you reboot the phone, it will be back to the way the customer had it before you put it in safe mode.

If there is no static in safe mode...its an app causing the issue. 

Also, double check the carrier settings to insure it is correct for the carrier in question. I've run into many CDMA phones that were set to the secondary GSM network for Sprint and Tmobile. Of course, if you are on AT&T or Tmobile, that is where you should be..

that would be under Settings > Network and Internet > Mobile Network > Advanced > Preferred Network Type

Options

3 Posts

12-21-2018

US

4 Signins

18 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2018-12-22, 4:29 AM

Correct, it's the earpiece/receiver for the device itself.

I personally did not work on the device, one of my coworkers was the one perfoming the troubleshooting process. My guess is he didn't put it in safe mode, as he reflashed the factory ROM back to the device. So there wouldn't be any 3rd party apps loaded on the device.

I'll have him take a look tomorrow into the carrier settings. When I find out, I'll report back.

The interesting part is, when the device was sent in to Moto/Lenovo, they replaced the device. So something must've been found that caused them to replace it. Unfortunately, I was not there when the customer came in and couldn't see the documentation that was sent with the replacement device.

Options

7407 Posts

03-05-2018

US

948 Signins

125401 Page Views

• Views: 125401
  • Message 4 of 8

2018-12-27, 18:09 PM

Hi PaliHustlaOD,

I appreciate the help. Just checking out on this thread. Let us know if you need further help. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

3 Posts

12-21-2018

US

4 Signins

18 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2018-12-28, 19:01 PM
I looked over the notes from the tech. He should be coming in later today. Device was set properly to CDMA/LTE, as it's on Sprint. Device was fully up-to-date, device was reset and reflashed. Tested 2 other devices on the customer's account and those devices were fine. Static was still occurring for those 4 Z3 devices.
Options

7407 Posts

03-05-2018

US

948 Signins

125401 Page Views

• Views: 125401
  • Message 6 of 8

2019-01-03, 14:32 PM

Hi PaliHustlaOD,

Alright. Just let me know how it goes with the tech. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

9 Posts

11-13-2018

NO

44 Signins

366 Page Views

• Views: 366
  • Message 7 of 8

2019-03-22, 19:42 PM

My earpice is also has some static noise while other side is speaking. It is very anoying. Since I have phone for only three days I can't comfirm is it always present. All calls are VoLTE and I think one convesation was very clear. About 10 other calls were with that noise.

I can compare it with my old moto g5s plus and that phone has much better sound. Almost perfect.

Options

4 Posts

05-25-2019

US

6 Signins

56 Page Views

• Views: 56
  • Message 8 of 8

2019-07-29, 17:42 PM
I think now there are enough people complaining about this for Motorola to put some engineering on this issue. I have the exact same problem with multiple phones.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save