Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gomtuu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 242
Message 1 of 4

Does the Z3 Play support wi-fi calling?

I'm switching to Consumer Cellular because they support wi-fi calling. But at the moment wi-fi calling doesn't appear to work. Does the Z3 Play support it? I hope so because I purchased another for my wife. I've gone to a lot of trouble to switch away from Total Wireless, including convincing them to give me a refund for what I spent on one of their phones because they didn't make clear that they do not support wi-fi calling. The specs I viewed for the Z3 Play don't indicate one way or the other about wi-fi calling.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 200
Message 2 of 4

Re: Does the Z3 Play support wi-fi calling?

Hi Gomtuu,

Thanks for your question. I'll ask around and confirm this. I'll let you know. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Gomtuu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 139
Message 3 of 4

I'm a bit dismayed about how this question about Wi-Fi calling seems difficult to answer. I believe that there are three factors involved:

1) The phone must be designed to implement it

2) The service provider has to enable it in their SIM card

3) The cellular network (not always the same as the service provider) must support it for the service provider

In my particular case the service provider is Consumer Cellular. They provide either the AT&T network or the T-Mobile network. The customer chooses between the two by selecting the appropriate SIM card. I initially chose the AT&T SIM card but soon discovered that AT&T does not support Wi-Fi calling - at least not for CC customers. So I obtained a T-Mobile SIM card for CC and after activating it I now have Wi-Fi calling.

While trying to find out which carrier supported Wi-Fi calling I visited a T-Mobile store and asked one of the folks there. He tried to help me by making a few phone calls but in the end he could not say for sure if Wi-Fi calling would work on my unlocked Moto Z3 on their network. I asked the same question at an AT&T store. The person there didn't have a clue as to what the heck I was talking about.

I have to say that throughout this adventure of switching away from Virgin Mobile to Total Wireless and finally to Consumer Cellular I found that the CC folks were the most knowledgeable and helpful. Their customer service reps are all in this country and they all actually listened to my questions and gave helpful responses - not just canned answers from some script. I have nothing against foreign nationals but when trying to get technical problems solved while speaking to someone for whom English is a second language and the call is bare audible in the first place, it doesn't feel like customer service at all.

Highlighted
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 79
Message 4 of 4

Hi Gomtuu,

Yes, you're correct multiple factors are involved. Glad you're able to make it work using TMO Sim. Let us know in the future in you need help with anything. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Top Kudoed Authors