Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaybot1
Token Ring
Views: 719
Message 21 of 37

Re: Fingerprint sensor to LOCK

Add me to the list of people who would like to see this functionality on both z3 play and z3.  I understand why its not there but maybe make it an option thats off by default.

MasterLudo
Paper Tape
Views: 713
Message 22 of 37

Oh yeah, if only <3

lordearl
Punch Card
Views: 697
Message 23 of 37

So what app are you guys using to lock your screen at the moment?  I don't like the idea of using the power button too much, it's usually the first part of machinery to fail on phones....

Cris1986Arg
What's DOS?
Views: 635
Message 24 of 37

I had the same problem here. I used fingerprint to block my old G5S Plus. Also, it had another good actions, like go home, back, and recent apps. So, why not add more features to Z3 FPS? Now I'm using Fingerprint Gestures app from Android market...

Highlighted
MasterLudo
Paper Tape
Views: 623
Message 25 of 37

The Z3 seems so much half cooked compared to the older Z...

At this pace, it'll be my last Moto after like 5 or 6 of them :/

pav1
SCSI Port
Views: 516
Message 26 of 37

I would add my name to the list of users requesting the option to unlock AND lock via the fingerprint sensor (via a user setting).

I just bought the Z3 Play. Coming from a Moto Z, I find the change of the fingerprint sensor behavior very disconcerting. I also concur with the bad design placement of the lock button; especially with regard to when a Moto mod is present - for example when the lock button must rest against a surface when using the speaker mod (and being accidentally activated when adjusting the volume).  It was a poor design choice to implement a change like this without offering an "option" for those users that had adapted to the previous usage model (i.e. unlock AND lock via the fingerprint sensor).

This oversight suggests that perhaps the hardware team at Motorola is driving design decisions (as opposed to a dedicated design team) - likely because of the recent staffing cuts at Motorola. 

It would be ideal to have this option (to LOCK) re-enabled via a software upgrade, but I am doubtful this will ever happen given the reasons mentioned above.  However, if it can be done, it would prove that the Motorola/Lenovo team is listening to its customers. 

BTW, if a software update to the FP sensor is a possibility, I would ask to add an option to include gestural scrolling - such as a "pull down" to show notifications (like the Pixel); however this would only be possible if the sensor supports it.

MasterLudo
Paper Tape
Views: 474
Message 27 of 37

Can't understand why they don't offer this as an option, or explained us they tried and it's hardware uncompatible.

Most of us here explained we bought at least 2 top of the line Motorola and were disapointed by this evolution which looks nothing like some simpe setting. For one of us taking the effort to have an account on this site, finding this topic, how many buyers thinking the same but not posting it here ? 10 ? 100 ? 1000 ?

Motorola, please, explained us :

A/ it's coming in XXX weeks as on optionnel setting

B/ it will never come, because [ ] so we're informed at least

Very disapointed by the absence of communication, and the previous post saying "it's good as is" was a total joke and "users like it as is" (never read that here) negating design pain for us users is not the way you should talk to your high end customers. No ?

lordearl
Punch Card
Views: 460
Message 28 of 37

Agreed.

For such a brilliant company, the silence is not what we have come to expect.
pav1
SCSI Port
Views: 455
Message 29 of 37

@lordearl wrote:
Agreed.

For such a brilliant company, the silence is not what we have come to expect.

You can't fault the development team. It's been a very rough year for the employees at the Motorola Chicago office (where most of the Moto Z development team resides). The "Z" team was very much decimated during the employee cuts in April 2018 which resulted in the (publicly funded) Moto mod keyboard project being cancelled by its creator. 

Phone software support used to be a priority for Motorola but that has changed drastically since the Lenovo takeover. For these reasons, it would be unrealistic to expect that they would be responsive to user requests like ours (unlike OnePlus *cough *cough). That being said however, I am holding out hope that the recent changes in their senior management will result in positive things for Motorola in 2019.

Slicks
What's DOS?
Views: 368
Message 30 of 37

Please add myself as a disgruntled Z3 owner! The fsp should be able to sleep or lock the unit just as the original Z did! Any user of a Z3 should have the option to at least turn this on or off at their leisure. I would hope that we would soon hear from Lenovo some kind of answer either and yes we'll try to incorporate it or no we are not going to do this at all! If anyone else knows of a good app to use to do this in the meantime please let me know?

Top Kudoed Authors