Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TruCrosswings
What's DOS?
Views: 6,117
Message 1 of 11

HDMI over USB-C

Does the Moto Z3 Play support for HDMI over USB, or any type of video output cus the USB-C Port?

Former Employee
Views: 6,100
Message 2 of 11

Re: HDMI over USB-C

@TruCrosswings wrote:

Does the Moto Z3 Play support for HDMI over USB, or any type of video output cus the USB-C Port?

Hi.

Thank you for writing to us, unfortunately, it does not support.    - Swaraj

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
CharlesK
SCSI Port
Views: 5,540
Message 3 of 11

Seriously? Is this hardware or just software? I was considering an upgrade from my Z2 Force but sounds like I'm off to Samsung? Say it isn't hardware and there's a fix for Z2 and Z3.......... Please. 

MongolZombie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,020
Message 4 of 11

I'd also like to hear an answer to this question.  Is this limitation due to hardware or software?

I have a Z3 and bought a cable trusting Moto Z would be at least an capable as others.  This is a disappointment.

MrJFrog
What's DOS?
Views: 3,618
Message 5 of 11

I registered for this forum just to add that I think this is utter garbage. I just got this phone and was extremely dissapointed to find that it could not output video over USB-C, and am now considering returning it.

It's 2019, there's no good reason why this phone can't do what a smartphone I bought in 2011 could do over an MHL cable.

jonshipman
Punch Card
Views: 3,530
Message 6 of 11

The video out is routed over the mod connector. Which is how the instashare projector can function.

CharlesK
SCSI Port
Views: 2,940
Message 7 of 11

If only a mod that consited of a thin shell  with a USB-C or micro HDMI port could be deveoped...... WAIT! I think it's been done https://www.element14.com/community/groups/moto-mods/blog/2017/02/26/screen-mirroring-a-moto-z-to-hd... ...

CharlesK
SCSI Port
Views: 2,937
Message 8 of 11

So, I just ordered the MDK (Moto Mod Development Kit). This just got real for me Smiley Happy .

lordearl
Punch Card
Views: 2,622
Message 9 of 11

interested to hear how you go with the project!

FYI I've found casting the screen via a chromecast to an HDMI enabled monitor or tv to be a great option...
pleidhce
Paper Tape
Views: 2,238
Message 10 of 11

FYI I've found casting the screen via a chromecast to an HDMI enabled monitor or tv to be a great option...

Chromecast is just a fancy trademark name for communication over internet. It's fine for transferring files and outputing audio/video content.

There is a lot of input latency though, compared to a wired connection with DisplayPort or HDMI, so it's not suitable for navigating through the phone from the big screen. You could do it, but it would be unbearably out of sync with your actions.

And We're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Top Kudoed Authors