US

975 Signins

128137 Page Views

• Views: 128137
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Keyboard and fingerprint problems

2019-08-23, 18:55 PM

Hi howard3,

Can you provide more details of what you're experiencing? I'd like to help. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

19 Posts

04-03-2014

GB

26 Signins

254 Page Views

• Views: 254
  • Message 3 of 9

2019-08-23, 19:28 PM

Had the z3 a week. Wirjed fune until it updated to Pie. After tgat tge fingerorint scanner and tge jeybiard went silly as tgis text sgiws. So now I'll use suggestions to correct my text

When I use the keyboard I get rubbish on screen unless I correct just about every word I typ.

Finger print scanner is also completely dead. Says its dirty but I cleaned it with alcoho some its not.

First sentence above says " worked fine until it updated to pie.

Uk support says send it to supplier as it's only week old. Supplier says send it Motorola. 

Motorola says itcan only be repaired in Poland. Its new for God's sake.

Had Motorola's for the last 35+ years and never a problem. Totally betrayed. Feel like binning it and buying a Samsung. Not good enough Motorola or Movertix in the UK.

Options

7725 Posts

03-05-2018

US

975 Signins

128137 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2019-08-23, 20:05 PM

Hi howard3,

May I know what keyboard app are you using? Make sure it's up to date in Play Store. Regarding the fingerprint - I would suggest resetting your security lock (Settings > Security > Screen lock > None). Once done, kindly set up your fingerprint. Would also suggest doing all these in safe mode. 

To Enable Safe Mode
1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.
2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.
Just turn off and on the phone to boot back to normal mode.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

19 Posts

04-03-2014

GB

26 Signins

254 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2019-08-23, 22:18 PM
None if the above worked. Eventually I turned off all keyboard aids in settings and the problem improved a bit. Tbe keyboard is the default Gboard updated about two weeks ago according to the store.
Then I moved out of safe mode and none of it worked. Fingerprint sensor ditto .
Options

7725 Posts

03-05-2018

US

975 Signins

128137 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2019-08-27, 17:33 PM

Hi howard3,

So it works in safe mode? I would suggest doing factory data reset without restore just to address the Fingerprint sensor. Backup your files and before doing the reset. It is important not to reinstall any apps/files. Check and see if the sensor will work. Let me know. 

Factory Data Reset:
Settings > System > Reset options > Factory Reset

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

19 Posts

04-03-2014

GB

26 Signins

254 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2019-08-28, 1:00 AM
Setting the screenlock to none brings up a warning that I will not be able to unlock my phone, sign in to apps or do anything with it at all, It wipes all fingerprints and makes the phone useless. Are you sure that is what you mean, or is this warning incorrect.
Options

19 Posts

04-03-2014

GB

26 Signins

254 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2019-08-28, 1:53 AM

So I tried again. Backed up and did a factory reset. If I don't let it restore my apps, the screen is so low powered that it is almost unreadable. I was able to set up one fingerprint but only with difficulty. It works in that I can unlock it. So now to reinstall my apps, which were all up to date when backed up. Typing on screen is untestable at this stage. Using my old Moto Z to type this.

Will update later.

Options

19 Posts

04-03-2014

GB

26 Signins

254 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2019-08-28, 8:12 AM

After some three hours work I finally managed to get the fingerprint sensor working after a fashion. I followed your advice by doing a factory reset and ignoring all that the system suggested other than setting up the fingerprint sensor. I then shut everything down, re-opened the phone with the power switch and left it to restore apps overnight. It was still doing this at 7:00 this morning but appears to have re-i stalled most. Better still, the fingerprint sensor appears to be working. This sensor is all about design over function, and is totally impractical. Whoever designed it obviously never used it or has deformed hands. The only way it can be used is to hold it in your left  hand, and   stroke it with your right index finger. Using any other is impossible. 

When you set the device to factory setting, the display drops it's contrast to about 15% and is almost impossible to see. I had to guess what it said as it was so dim. At least the keyboard now functions better. Just got to get rid of the emoticons which have an annoying habit of popping up for no apparent reason. I see that the Z4 is not for sale in the UK even though we already have 5g on my network. I hope that on screen fingerprint sensors will be available on the next available UK MOTOROLA phone's, or this one will be my last.

Thanks for your suggestions which appear to have solved both my problems.

Howard Walker

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save