Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z3 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

15 Posts

10-02-2018

United States of America

19 Signins

217 Page Views

• Views: 217
  • Message 1 of 23

Many Issues

2018-10-02, 20:57 PM

I've had the Z3 play phone for about 3 months now and am not too happy.  I upgraded from a Moto X Pure  which i think was a great phone.  I feel like this is a step back and its 3 years newer.  Here's what i'm experiencing, just wondering of anyone else has the same issues-

• Invalid sim card errors/ data outage constantly on sprint network (covered in seperate post)
  • blue finish on the metal parts is pretty but not durable- has worn off in a few places
  • Speakerphone randomly comes on when answering the phone- very loud when against my ear (this may have been fixed)
  • I know now why no other company put fingerprint sensors on the side- seemed like a great idea but i literally unlock the phone by accident everytime i put the phone in my pocket.
  • Apps crash on a pretty regular basis.
  • NFC turns off by itself
  • forgets/won't connect to existing wifi sometimes- need to be reset then works fine
  • Screen scratches very easily
  • no mod compatible cases or bumpers ( and this phone has to have a case!)
  • basically something gets glitchy (wifi, apps, system, screen just goes black, etc.) about 2-3 times a week and i have to reset.  As a plus- its the first phone ive seen that has a soft restart which is nice (wish i didn't need it though)

Options

45 Posts

08-18-2018

Netherlands

325 Signins

1552 Page Views

• Views: 1552
  • Message 2 of 23

Re: Many Issues

2018-10-03, 8:57 AM

Try the hardware test in moto help app!

Options

14121 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1303 Signins

177200 Page Views

• Views: 177200
  • Message 3 of 23

2018-10-03, 15:22 PM

Hi shineyshine,

Sorry to know you're having these issues. I'd like to help. 

*For the invalid sim error, we are aware that some users are seeing this message. We will have improvements in a future update.

*Can you please send pictures of your phone showing the worn off metal parts, and the screen scratches? It will help us evaluate.

*I'd like to confirm, are you using the Moto Voice feature? That could trigger the calls to go in speakermode. 

*I'm curious, may I know what are the apps you're having issues with? Please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems. Need help updating your profile? See here.

*For the wifi connection, we can try setting the wifi accuracy to high (Settings > Security and Location > Location > Scanning > Enable Wifi Scanning). Let me know if there's improvement.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

15 Posts

10-02-2018

United States of America

19 Signins

217 Page Views

• Message 4 of 23

2018-10-03, 15:23 PM

I don't really have any hardware issues- I believe it to all be software but thank you

Options

15 Posts

10-02-2018

United States of America

19 Signins

217 Page Views

• Message 5 of 23

2018-10-03, 16:04 PM

wrote:

Hi shineyshine,

*For the invalid sim error, we are aware that some users are seeing this message. We will have improvements in a future update.

*Can you please send pictures of your phone showing the worn off metal parts, and the screen scratches? It will help us evaluate.

*I'd like to confirm, are you using the Moto Voice feature? That could trigger the calls to go in speakermode. 

*I'm curious, may I know what are the apps you're having issues with? Please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems. Need help updating your profile? See here.

*For the wifi connection, we can try setting the wifi accuracy to high (Settings > Security and Location > Location > Scanning > Enable Wifi Scanning). Let me know if there's improvement.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Rich- thanks for the prompt response

My biggest issue is definitely the invalid sim card issue and is making the phone unreliable.  Everything else is just annoying. 

I updated my profile with serial #, IMEI, and info.

I've attached pics, but its really hard to see in pics- most of the scratches are very fine and the finish coming off is right at the edge where the screen meets the metal (maybe from taking case on and off to use mods).  i stopped using the moto mod folio cover because it seemed to be making very fine scratches on the screen. 

-I had turned off the moto voice feature because it was unreliable- maybe that was the speakerphone issue.

-The main app that crashes is Android Message- I get a "this app is not responding" multiple times a day.But, the phone app and a few others have crashed.  I'll try to keep a record of which ones crash.  I just had Moto Z Market crash while i was trying to look up which case I have.

-wifi accuracy is set to high.  it just stops working sometimes until i restart and then it works fine.

Options

15 Posts

10-02-2018

United States of America

19 Signins

217 Page Views

• Message 6 of 23

2018-10-08, 15:43 PM

wrote:

Hi shineyshine,

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Rich, thank you for the response- I had replied last week but the message seems to have been deleted. 

the invalid sim card issue is a significant issue- it should be the priority since the data on the phone is completely unreliable- please have your team work on this update ASAP.

I did post pics to my profile but its very hard to photograph the many fine scratches.  You can see some of the scratches at the bottom of the phone as well as the finish coming off on the corners from taking the case on and off.

I am not using moto voice- it proved unreliable.  But, that may have been the speakerphone issue.

I am having problems with multiple apps- the android message app gives me a non-responsive error multiple times a day.  Most other apps have crashed at some point if not repeatedly.  Even the Moto Z market app has crashed.

I have updated my profile with the phone info for you.

Wifi accuracy has been set to high for a while.  there are some times where the wifi just wont pick up anything and wifi list is empty- I restart and see all available wifi options everytime. 

Options

14121 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1303 Signins

177200 Page Views

• Message 7 of 23

2018-10-09, 14:32 PM

Hi shineyshine,

Thanks for confirming. Sorry about that, rest assured that we are aware of the SIM issue and an improvement will be given on the next update. I highly appreciate your patience. And regarding the othe concern, I would recommend testing all these on safe mode, so we can isolate your third-party apps. 

To Enable Safe Mode
1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.
2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.

We need to check if phone calls would still go into speaker mode, check if the Android Messages app will crash again, and check if the WiFi will keep not showing any results. Also, I would recommend leaving the phone into safe mode until you encounter an issue again. 

Let me know, and we'll further investigate. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

15 Posts

10-02-2018

United States of America

19 Signins

217 Page Views

• Message 8 of 23

2018-10-28, 19:17 PM

Yeah, so safe mode seemed to work (maybe?) but its really not a viable option for anything.  it disables 95% of my apps and really is pointless.  Also, it's not just 3rd party apps that crash- system apps including goolgle messages constantly crash.  Leaving the phone in safemode is really not an option and certainly not a long term solution if i can't use the majority of features. 

Since my initial query the phone has completely crashed 3 times- screen randomly goes black and about 5 min later it reboots. 

Its becoming really hard to use this phone- i can wait for the service update but combined with everything else I feel like i got sold a lemon. 

Options

14121 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1303 Signins

177200 Page Views

• Message 9 of 23

2018-10-30, 13:24 PM

Hi shineyshine,

Thanks for the update. It looks like one/more of your third-party apps is causing this issue. Did you just restore your apps from your previous phone? I would recommend doing a factory data reset without restore (Settings > System > Reset > Factory Data Reset). Please do not reinstall/restore your apps after doing the reset, we need to observe the phone if the issue will persist. If you have important files, kindly back them up so you won't lose them. Try installing your apps one at a time until we find out which one is causing an issue. Let me know.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Options

15 Posts

10-02-2018

United States of America

19 Signins

217 Page Views

• Message 10 of 23

2018-10-30, 20:23 PM

So you're saying that one of my third party apps is causing Google Messages to crash as well as my entire system?...  google messages being a non-third paty app that came with the phone.  I am not able to uninstall google message.  Yes, I did restore some of the apps from my google account/previous phones

Okay, well that sounds like about 3-4 hours of homework for me to back everything up and reinstall like 40 apps one by one.  I'll get back to you in the future. 

thank you. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms