Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bernbuddy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,172
Message 1 of 12

Moto Z3 Play screen replacement

I've only owned my Moto Z3 Play for a few weeks but already cracked the screen.  I purchased a replacement from China which just arrived.  Anyone have any idea what type of glue or adhesive to use once I get the old one off?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 9,977
Message 2 of 12

Re: Moto Z3 Play screen replacement

Hi Bernbuddy,

Sorry to know about that. I won't recommend gluing the replacement screen to the phone as it might cause further issue. If you bought the phone in the US, you can check your warranty replacement/repair options here.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Bernbuddy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,947
Message 3 of 12

Besides paying your company for a repair I can do myself, do you have any answer to my question?  OK, you don't recommend I repair this myself with glue.  Is there some other type of adhesive tape that is available and better?  What method would your people use to secure the screen?  Anyone else have suggestions for a DIY repair?  I own a replacement screen (~$70).

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 9,855
Message 4 of 12

Not trying to steal your topic, but I have the same problem. New phone, 2 weeks old and already broken.

Droped from pocket at HALF A METER HEIGHT. Still can't believe how sensitive the build is. Never in my life had I a phone that was such weakly built.

This is internal screen part that cracked. Corning Gorilla Glass, more like Chihuahua Glass.

Now Bernbuddy and who knows who else have to pay 200+ € for repairing something that shouldn't be that sensitive.

image4.jpegimage5.jpeg

Bernbuddy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,853
Message 5 of 12

I bought a replacement digitizer (screen) and some special tape to do the repair myself.  I'll be attempting this in the next few days and will let you know how it works out.

13iron
Punch Card
Views: 9,813
Message 6 of 12

interested in ur update!
Bernbuddy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,733
Message 7 of 12

My repair failed and so I'm replacing my phone with a new one.  I had a heat gun and so I definitely got the screen hot enough to remove although it also made it difficult to hold the phone in order to pry up the screen.  I actually did some damage to the broken screen with the heat but since it was already cracked I wasn't too concerned.  The screen is held in place by a thin bead of double-sided black tape surrounding the screen.  It only took a few minutes to get the old screen off and scrape away the old adhesive tape remnants.

Here's where I believe the repair failed.  There's a ribbon cable between the screen and phone with a thin white plastic "holder" integrated into the socket connector.  I mistakenly thought this little plastic piece could be pried a bit to loosen the grip on the ribbon cable.  Wrong.  It's not designed to move.  I broke a bit of it trying to move it and I believe that ruined the connection to the cable because when I took a small curved tweezers to reinsert the new ribbon cable the screen never came to life during testing.  I know the phone was working because my fingerprint caused the phone to vibrate and I could also here the internal voice during boot.  The old screen also failed to work but that could also have been due to my overheating it.

Either way it's now a memory and I'm out about $100 in a new digitizer and some tools and 2mm tape.

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 9,728
Message 8 of 12

Thank you for info Bernbuddy.

I also had no choice but to pay for official repair that costs 250 € (basically half the price for new phone). I really needed what was stored on the phone so there was no other choice but pay, otherwise I would buy a new phone.

Not to mention official Motorola repair, they want IMEI, but say that mine is not registered. You can register the phone but of course you need to have it running first to do that.

For 750€ one can buy a lot better phones. I only know one thing and that is which phone brand I will n.e.v.e.r. again buy. I'm also planning to ensure to recommend the same thing to everybody else and I definitely plan to be vocal about that point.

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 9,510
Message 9 of 12

Just a heads up that even with repair there are issues popping up (notification bar continuously pops down, extremely iritating and also menus can be randomely clicked). 

Have to go to repair shop yet again. I hope they will not be able to fix my phone so I can get return for failed repair, buy a new and replace this *removed*ty phone with something more usable. 

I'll check if they can fix it yet again, but I wouldn't recommend repair option with this phone. Just buy a diffrent brand and avoid this phone like a plague.

Edited: due to site rules violation -preferred language

Shash2622
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,277
Message 10 of 12

I have a cracked screen too. Please know that, it's not exclusively the owner's fault. My wife has a Samsung Galaxy A30, which is way cheaper than this flagship Z3 Play and has the same throughout glass screen covering the entire front of the phone including the edges. She slipped and dropped it many times; even on hard ground. It didn't have a scratch. On the contrary, my Moto Z3 Play, although much expensive, couldn't stand the fall on a wooden plank; even with the screen protector on. I am way careful in using phone. But when I asked for the help of the customer service, they are charging me with 125$; over one-third of what I paid for buying the brand new set. Even with the Moto mod battery, the charge capacity is terrible. I had to change my previous phone, which is also from Lenovo due to the lack of cooperation from customer support. I used the phone for almost 1.5 years without any damage, and this time, the new phone has just got worse both in quality and performance. Anyway,very soon I'm going to switch to a new phone and I'll make sure that Motorola Corporation will not get a single cent out of my pocket anymore. It's just waste of money to pay for a phone which is made so terribly 😫IMG-20191007-WA0007.jpgThe crack propagated spontaneously

IMG-20191007-WA0008.jpgJust this chip was enough to crack the front glass

And We're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Top Kudoed Authors