Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alablues
Paper Tape
Views: 433
Message 1 of 10

Moto z3 Turns off on it's own

Moto z3 turns off on it's own. Today it was after a phone call. Yesterday was when I turned off the Tunein app. The day before was while using the gooble maps navigation, the day before that was after a phone call. Bought the phone in May 2019. Started turning off on it's own in July. Did a hard restart in August. Took to Verizon store last week. Agent removed a couple of apps, used the Moto Help app and told me  to call tech support if happened again.

Also have problem with battery level not reading correctly, but that is a fix for another day.

Need suggestions on what to do now.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 383
Message 2 of 10

Re: Moto z3 Turns off on it's own

Hi alablues,

Thanks for posting. Are you referring to reset when you say "Hard restart? For now, try booting the device first to Safe Mode and kindly observe it. Safe mode starts the device without any third-party apps running.

To Enable Safe Mode
1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.
2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.
Just turn off and on the phone to boot back to normal mode.

Also, please update your profile with the current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Best regards,
Mike
Motorola Support

alablues
Paper Tape
Views: 355
Message 3 of 10

The reset I did was the Erase All Data. I have updated my profile. I used the phone on Safe mode most of the day yesterday and there was no problem. Actually the phone has not unexpectically restarted since the last time I mentioned in my original post. Which I think was the 19th or 20th.

alablues
Paper Tape
Views: 354
Message 4 of 10

And yes it is ok for you to look at my phone.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 339
Message 5 of 10

Hi alablues

Thanks for that information. If the behavior doesn't persist in safe mode, the problem is probably caused by a third-party app downloaded on your device. To see which app it is, reboot your device to normal mode, and uninstall recently downloaded apps one by one and see whether it solved the problem.

Best regards,
Mike
Motorola Support

alablues
Paper Tape
Views: 284
Message 6 of 10

Because I did not have many third party apps on my phone due to the hard reset I previously did, I just removed all third part apps that were not that important. Last Wednesday, my phone turned off when I answered an incoming call. Yesterday, I loaded the ESPN app to watch sports, When I turned off the app after the game was over, the phone shut off. Here are the third parts apps I have on my phone, ESPN, Calculator Plus, Alarm Clock Xtreme, Gmail, Outlook, and Yahoo Mail. Everything else came with the phone. Now you tell me there is a third party app shutting off my phone. There appears to be a problem with the phone.

alablues
Paper Tape
Views: 273
Message 7 of 10

Today, after receiving a voicemail from a phone call, I was entering the contact info for the caller and my phone shut off. I have not used the phone for anything else since the alarm went off this morning.

alablues
Paper Tape
Views: 268
Message 8 of 10

So my phone turned itself off 3 more time today. I deleted the espn, calculator and alarm apps. I tried to restart the phone is safe mode but the phone would not restart. An hour later, I was able to restart the phone in safe mode. I laid the phone down. I got a notice that I had a text message. When I went to read the text message the phone had turned itself off. Now the phone will not restart at all. When I turn it on, it goes to the home screen and then shuts down.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 240
Message 9 of 10

Hi alablues

If you were unable to resolve the issue by doing a hard reset yesterday, I would suggest sending in the device for repair for further evaluation, just go to this link to get instructions for Online warranty request. Feel free to respond back if you have any questions or clarification. We're always here to assist. 

Best regards,
Mike
Motorola Support

Lenovo Employee rbkirk
Lenovo Employee
Views: 202
Message 10 of 10

Do you have a microSD storage card in your phone? Is it formatted for internal storage?

Remove it, and reset the phone. Do not put the old microSD card back in. Run the phone with your old apps installed (but no microSD card).

If it is stable, you have a microSD card that is old and slow, and was causing the issue. Get the fastest one you can if you deem to replace it.

If after doing this, the problem goes away, post back that it did, so that others can benefit from this advice.

Top Kudoed Authors