Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Motoz3play
Paper Tape
Views: 1,496
Message 1 of 10

Motomod - Gamepad

Ok, so I love the idea, and I love the modular nature of the gamepad. Physical it is a good idea, has good construction, and is properly designed. I like it. I want this to be a thing, but I can not recommend this to anyone until the following is addressed. 

However there is a glaring issue that I do not see how it made it past quality control or dogfood testing. Imageine a xbox controller. 

What if the y button selected an app behind the game your playing, and had a high chance to crash the game. 

What if the b button pressed the navigation bar's back button, usually closing your game.

What if the a button pressed the home button, closing your game.

The buttons are tied to Android's navigation. This should not be the default. 

The dpad buttons select things inside Android. If the selector gets behind your game (it will, not sure exactly what triggers it) your game will most likely crash when it starts moving panes behind the game. Retroarch is the most popular emulator, 7 out of the 11 buttons crash or close the game. Pubg is in the top 5 most popular games .3 buttons close/exit the game. No one would use this because it causes you to lose, badly.

I talked to a support agent and she said this is how Motorola designed this. Please fix. There is no way to remap keys in Android without giving an app accesibility services and disabling the button (remapping is impossible when it is tied to Android's nav), rooting your phone, or returning it and getting something else. Rooting means you lose any and all warranty, and isn't slmesomet you should expect as a work around. 

Again, I love the idea of this gamepad. I want this to be the "go to" for hardcore Android gamers, as literally all Android controllers suck (either they are external, don't work right, flimsy, etc). This is physically the best controller I have used for Android. It is just unusable for gaming. 

No one wants to use the controller for navigation on their phone. They want to use it to play games. Add a toggle somewhere so I can use this controller please!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,459
Message 2 of 10

Re: Motomod - Gamepad - unuseable

Hi Motoz3play,

Thanks for posting. I appreciate your observation but I'd like to confirm, what game are you trying to play? Also, are you using the emulator?

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Motoz3play
Paper Tape
Views: 1,452
Message 3 of 10

This is a problem with all games. I can make a video of this showing what I mean. 

The buttons on the right close/go to the home screen. This is not game dependent, the controller is tied to Android navigation. I was trying to use ppsspp, retroarch, Titan quest, dragon quest. Any game does this. 

The b button is tied to the left triangle home screen button on Android. This closes most games, or generates a prompt "are you sure you want to close this game."

The y button selects things and often gets behind the game you are playing and will launch apps, or crash the game. 

The a button selects things and often gets behind the game you are playing. This will often crash the game you are in. 

Select makes a widgit on your home screen. This will often crash the game you are in.

The start button selects things and often gets behind the game you are playing. This will often crash the game you are in. 

If you press x while viewing recent apps, x will close the app. 

Motoz3play
Paper Tape
Views: 1,451
Message 4 of 10

The fix for all of this is 

remove all intergration of the controller with Android navigation except maybe the button labeled home. No one wants to close their game with a face button on a controller. 

Highlighted
Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 1,423
Message 5 of 10

@Motoz3play wrote:

The fix for all of this is 

remove all intergration of the controller with Android navigation except maybe the button labeled home. No one wants to close their game with a face button on a controller. 

If the keys are not mapped in a game/app then they will work at the OS level. This is the same behavior you would get with a Bluetooth controller. When it comes to emulators you should go into the settings and map the keys to something in-game or in the app. 

-Tom

Motoz3play
Paper Tape
Views: 1,412
Message 6 of 10

I apologise, I had no idea.

I have been buying controllers on and off for YEARS and only heavily modified roms (touchwiz, emui, etc) worked for controllers. I love asop, pixel, and Motorola type roms. You just solved a multi year issue I have been having. I have never been able to fix this for other controllers either. Sincerely thank you. I just showed off my Moto z3 play to a friend and their response was positive. This setup is a good idea, it's just not obvious to us that we need to keybind. Thank you!
Motoz3play
Paper Tape
Views: 1,410
Message 7 of 10

How do I change topic title and post. I don't want this to float around and dissuade people from buying this product. 

Motoz3play
Paper Tape
Views: 1,385
Message 8 of 10

Well.... Bricked my phone.
Had it rooted (and warranty voided by doing so)
Dropped it 2ft in kitchen on lanoleum, it rebooted, battery said 0% and it lost baseband.

Going to let it charge overnight and hope it works again.

It turns on while plugged in but can't completely boot because while it boots it disconnects USB (and loses power). Was going to try to run a magisk modual letting me recalibrate the battery. Can boot into fastboot no issue and flash commands, maybe I can wipe the battery info. Tried fastboot clear cache and a /data
Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 1,303
Message 9 of 10

I'm glad I was able to help resolve a longstanding issue for you. As for changing the title, I can do that. What would you like it changed to?

Sorry to hear about the issues after dropping it. I'd recommend posting in the developer community as we can't help with rooted devices here in the general forums. 

-Tom

Coleen14
What's DOS?
Views: 337
Message 10 of 10

Re: Motomod - Gamepad

Can you make the gamepad compatible to Mobile Legends: Bang Bang?

Top Kudoed Authors