Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z3 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

04-14-2020

United States of America

10 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 14

Newest patch broke Moto's flashlight feature

2020-04-14, 14:51 PM

Have been using the Moto Mod flashlight feature for years, through several models.  It's a great feature and adds real value - have come to rely on the phone as the handy flashlight and stopped carrying a tiny separate flashlight.

However.....

After the recent update, the phone stops responding to the chop-chop motion after the phone's been on for a while.  When it's in that state, I can go into the Moto app, and check the setting is still on, and do the demo and nothing happens.  

Then, I power it off and on, and miraculously, chop-chop works.  For awhile, anyway, till something makes it not work any more.

Anyway, I thought I'd pass along this bug report in case the team isn't tracking it. 

Options

14293 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1313 Signins

178190 Page Views

• Views: 178190
  • Message 2 of 14

Re:Newest patch broke Moto's flashlight feature

2020-04-14, 20:01 PM

Hi joel9507,

Thanks for reporting. Try clearing the data of the Moto Actions or the Moto app itself (Settings > Apps > Tap 3 vertical dots upper right corner > Show System > Moto Actions > Storage > Clear Storage > OK). Do the same for the Moto app if you're still experiencing it. Note that this will set the app back to its default settings, so you will have to reconfigure your settings after clearing the data.

Let me know if that helps. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

5 Posts

04-14-2020

United States of America

10 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 3 of 14

2020-04-15, 4:35 AM

Hello,

Thanks for the quick response.  

I believe you may be on a slightly different OS version than I am.  I'm on Verizon:  Android version 9, security patch level Mar 1, 2020: kernel version '4.4.153.........Mar 12 22:42:51 CDT 2020'   At any rate, my Settings doesn't have an "Apps" - there is a 'Apps & Notifications' in the list, but 'Apps & notifications' doesn't have the 3-dot-show system nor does it have any options for clearing storage.

I found another way to try what I believe you were suggesting (Settings/Storage/Other Apps) where I could see the three dots and have it show system, and which gives the option to clear storage and/or clear cache for various apps..  

That's the good news.  Unfortunately, for Moto Actions [05.76.1.07-P] "Clear Storage" was shown in light grey and not available to click on - only "Clear Cache" was clickable.  I did that.  Powered off and on.  Went into the Moto settings for actions, to make sure the flashlight feature was enabled, and tried it out.  Doesn't come on.

Went into Storage/Other Apps and looked at the Moto app:  Both "Clear Storage" and "Clear Cache" were as available, so did both, then powered off and back on.   Still won't come on.

So deleting that data made it worse - before that, after a power cycle it would start off working and then stop - now, it doesn't work at all. :(

Is there some easy way to uninstall and reinstall the Moto app itself?  I haven't done any customizing work on it and if it went back to factory settings (and began controlling the flash again) that'd be fine with me.

Options

367 Posts

10-12-2012

United States of America

901 Signins

22073 Page Views

• Views: 22073
  • Message 4 of 14

2020-04-15, 21:10 PM

During the past few weeks there was a Moderator reply to a similar complaint following a version update. The Moderator stated that Google was removing the built-in flashlight functionality since it was already available through several 3rd party apps. 

Options

14293 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1313 Signins

178190 Page Views

• Message 5 of 14

2020-04-17, 14:25 PM

Hi joel9507,

Thanks for trying the suggestions. Can you test this in safe mode?

To Enable Safe Mode
1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.
2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.
Just turn off and on the phone to boot back to normal mode.

Let me know if it's working there. 

Hi KarlBeckman,

Can you share me the link where you saw that statement? Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

5 Posts

04-14-2020

United States of America

10 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 6 of 14

2020-04-19, 13:05 PM

Hello,

Since the last post, the phone got itself back to the original problem status - where chop-chop motion would work properly for a while after restarting, but stop functioning after a while.

RE: safe mode testing

I got it to safe mode, and checked the operation.  Chop-chop turned the light on, but would not turn it off.  Checked this twice - same result.

Options

14293 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1313 Signins

178190 Page Views

• Message 7 of 14

2020-04-20, 19:49 PM

Hi joel9507,

This is still vague what's causing the failure. Do you have a phone case or screen protector? If so, kindly remove that. Otherwise, we'd like to further investigate this with a bug report. 

To capture Bug Report:
Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On
Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
Once the issue is reproduced: Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.
Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the BugReport via private message.
Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the local time when you observed the behavior. 

To enable developer options: 
1. Go to Settings > About phone > Build number 
2. Tap Build number seven times. After the first few taps, you should see the steps counting down until you unlock the developer options. Once activated, you will see a message that reads, “You are now a developer!”
3. Go back to Settings, where you’ll find a Developer options entry in the menu

Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Options

5 Posts

04-14-2020

United States of America

10 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 8 of 14

2020-04-24, 13:38 PM

I was with you right up to this point:

share the link to the BugReport via private message.

Could you be more specific here?  To whom, and how do I get the address to do that?

Options

14293 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1313 Signins

178190 Page Views

• Message 9 of 14

2020-04-24, 20:24 PM

Hi joel9507,

Sorry about that, just click my user name and go to my profile, on the right side (if you're using a computer) you will see an option to send me a private message. Let me know if you need further assistance. Thank you.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Options

2 Posts

11-14-2020

Canada

5 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 10 of 14

2020-11-14, 5:57 AM
  • Has this been resolved? Having same problem.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms