09-07-2019

US

1 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 1 of 2

Shoddy WiFi - Moto Z3 Play

2019-09-07, 14:18 PM

I have a Moto Z3 Play, ATT as my carrier and Xfinity for Internet.

Since Day 1, this phone has never connected to my home WiFi's extender, which broadcasts on a different SSID than the router. It saves the password, connects, then disconnects. Sometimes rebooting the router allows me to connect until I leave the house. This is the second Motorola phone I owned that does not play nice with the extender.

When at home scanning for wifi, the phone frequently reports that there are no channels at all, and the mobile data cuts out at the same time. In about 5 seconds everything comes back up.

Recently the Z3 has stopped connecting to wifi broadcasts that it had no trouble connecting to at all before. Only one of four of my home network SSIDs work consistently now, and the networks at work and school no longer connect, only saving the network, trying to connect then going back to "Saved".

Has anyone else had this problem? I've tried messing with the router and the phone's settings for ages but nothing has worked. I would blame hardware failure but this is the second Motorola phone I've owned with WiFi issues. Could it be the SIM card? I don't have issues with mobile data unless I'm trying to connect to WiFi.

Options

821 Posts

02-20-2009

US

999 Signins

6031 Page Views

• Views: 6031
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Shoddy WiFi - Moto Z3 Play

2019-09-08, 14:33 PM

Extenders are usually pretty terrible, many times slicing the bandwidth on that SSID in half. I wouldn't use one, regardless of the phone.

Consider getting one of the many mesh network alternatives out there, which will set up a separate link for intercommunication between access points, or wire a trunk line between access points for a better network layout.

If your home network equipment is especially old, I would replace it for security purposes alone. Also for speed purposes, if it doesn't support 802.11ac, and you have good internet bandwidth above 50Mbs

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save