Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
willyfonsworth
Paper Tape
Views: 331
Message 1 of 6

Unsuccessful software update Z3 Play

Moto Z3 Play just purchased from the Motorola website and the phone refuses to perform its updates. Its constantly looping and saying "Sorry, there was a problem updating your Moto Z3 Play. No changes were made.

Looking through the forums and I have tried to the following:

- Factory reset, tried updating again via OTA... same issue

- Attempted to use the LMSA tool, gets to 29% jams... then errors out at 43% constantly. Tried 3 times, factory reset before each retry

- Factory reset again, did not connect to WiFi but direct to the PC in an attempt to do the LMSA update without having it attempt a OTA update. Same result.

- Factory reset

- Decided to swap my SIM in the phone to attempt OTA over LTE. Same error..

The "solutions" that I have been seeing are constantly "send phone in for repair". I will refrain from giving my honest opinion on this "solution". What I am trying to see is if there is anything else I can do before taking up more of time and sending a brand new device in for servicing.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 215
Message 2 of 6

Re: Unsuccessful software update Z3 Play

Hi willyfonsworth,

Sorry to know about this. I really appreciate the things you've tried and done so far. I'd like to see this further, can you please update your profile with the current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > System > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

See here for the instruction. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 203
Message 3 of 6

Hello willyfonsworth,

I'm sorry to hear this is occurring, I'd be happy to help you further with this issue.  I've sent you a private message, when you get a moment can you please take a look at it?

Best regards,

Becky

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Highlighted
willyfonsworth
Paper Tape
Views: 141
Message 4 of 6

Profile information updated with information requested.

vindicatorr
Paper Tape
Views: 20
Message 5 of 6

Willy, had there been any update/resolution to your issue?

I believe I had a similar issue as yours I think (https://forum.xda-developers.com/z3-play/help/ppws29-183-29-1-2-ppws29-183-29-1-6-t3993853).

I had been waiting for LMSA to get the update so I could do a full flash, and that day was today.

However, when I took the steps I did in the past going from 1-2 to 1-6,  but from 1-6 to 1-9, booting failed.

I do my darndest to avoid deleting userdata if I don't need to, and I'm not sure if there's something in this update that makes it a requirement or what.

Basically, I don't use LMSA to flash, but just use it to get the stock ROM zip file and then manually run the fastboot steps myself minus erasing the userdata partition.

If I remember right, I didn't need to when going from 1-2 to 1-6.

willyfonsworth
Paper Tape
Views: 5
Message 6 of 6

I have not heard back on this issue at this time. I do not have the phone with me at the moment but I can check what version the LMSA was attempting to install on my particular device and let you know.

And We're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Top Kudoed Authors