cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lzr0
Paper Tape
Views: 273
Message 1 of 5

Will generic USB charger with generic USB to USB-C cord work with Moto z3 play?

Hi,

Can I use a generic USB to USB-C cord with generic USB chargers (like car adapters), or both the cable and the adapter have to be specificly Motorola? 

I do realize that branded Motorola charger does it faster, but I am looking for additional chargers for car, office, etc.

Highlighted
KarlBeckman
802.11n
Views: 249
Message 2 of 5

Re: Will generic USB charger with generic USB to USB-C cord work with Moto z3 play?

Charging rates depend on the charger, the cables, and the phone+battery electronics.  If the generic charger and phone+battery are both turbopower-compliant AND the generic cabling is upsized to support the higher Turbo charging current, you will see the benefits of Turbo charging. Here's a link which includes the following information and more detail: https://www.motorola.com/us/products/turbopower

turbopower™ is more than a family of fast chargers. It’s a complete system designed to work together, achieving the maximum amount of charge in the least possible time. And by developing a complete charging system, motorola engineers can optimize any of the hardware and software components so that they work better together. The result? The fastest charging available on the market today.

Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 237
Message 3 of 5

Re: Will generic USB charger with generic USB to USB-C cord work with Moto z3 play?

Just to add to Karl's Excellent post you can use most Quality universal Android chargers and if they are below the Wattage of the,"Fast chargers" they will still work but just charge at the old speeds Smiley Happy

Put this into a Search engine android fast charger myths  and it will help inform as there are some basic physics that are in play on all electrical devices Smiley Happy

Lzr0
Paper Tape
Views: 222
Message 4 of 5

Bit and Karl,
Thank you. My only concern was that generic cable may not work because there must be a circuit inside to let the phone recognize it (this is why for example not every cable that fits mechanically will charge iphones).
Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 219
Message 5 of 5

@Lzr0 wrote:
Bit and Karl,
Thank you. My only concern was that generic cable may not work because there must be a circuit inside to let the phone recognize it (this is why for example not every cable that fits mechanically will charge iphones).

Remember also that some USB cables are,"Charge Only" and it's best to make sure you only Buy,"Data"cables as they can do both otherwise you may have trouble if you want to Transfer data to a PC r Android Tablet etc and or ," USB Tether" your phone to use a a portable modem/Hotspot.

Smiley Happy

And We're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Top Kudoed Authors