01-30-2019

US

4 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 1 of 7

Z3 play - Car Dock -No Audio / sound when docked

2019-01-30, 12:54 PM

I have a new Z3 play and attempted to use it with my Incipio moto mod car dock whick is hooked up to audio vi a 3.5 mm cable.. (keep in mind, I also have a moto z2 play which has and still does work flawlessly in the car dock without the sound issue, or any other issue for that matter)  When I place the z3 in the dock, android auto launches and charging starts, but when i try to play a song via google play music, the arrow shows its playing, but i get no sound, but the song progresses and continues to play. Fails to play audio, all the time, the Z2 always plays audio without an issue.

What I have tried and found:

Tinkering around with the z3, I found that if I start playing google play music before i put it on the dock, it will work, the majority of the time, but not always.  I also found that if audio does start working via the dock, if i pause and continue,  audio does not resume.   I've repeated this time and time again, hooked the dock to headphones, and an external speaker and still the same problem.  I also replaced the 3.5mm cord.

I also found that if i go into the moto mod manager while the phone is on the dock, select "about this moto mod" and then hit "restart moto mod", I have a 50/50 chance of sound coming from the dock.

The z2 does not demonstrate this problem.  And yes, I havve factory reset the phone.

Does it sound like the phone needs to go back, the entire reason I upgraded to the z3 was for the car dock.

For what it's worth, the Z2 in on android 8.0 and the z3 is on 8.1

Thanks.

Scott

Options

821 Posts

02-20-2009

US

999 Signins

6031 Page Views

• Views: 6031
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Z3 play - Car Dock -No Audio / sound when docked

2019-01-30, 21:33 PM

I've seen similar behavior with my own Z3 Play on the same dock...

For an aux radio attach, it appears...

1. The radio must be already powered up with nothing on the dock, set to Aux input

2. The phone itself must be playing audio at the time it is attached to the dock

3. If this fails, sometimes a detach/reattach operation will reset everything to working order.

I think Incipio unfortunately has walked away from their dock. Their warranty is also only one year on their products, and I believe they have discontinued the Moto Mod dock.

Their support email is support@incipio.com. You may want to drop them an email describing the problem solving work you have done.

Options

57 Posts

08-30-2018

US

476 Signins

8182 Page Views

• Views: 8182
  • Message 3 of 7

2019-02-02, 16:10 PM

Hello amp4,

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing this, and I'd like to see if I can help.  We're testing this, but so far we can't duplicate what you are experiencing. Is it possible that the phone is connecting to a Bluetooth connection in the car and the media is playing through that instead of the 3.5mm jack?

- Becky

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

2 Posts

01-30-2019

US

4 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 4 of 7

2019-02-02, 18:09 PM

Thanks for looking into this, just ran out and verified bluetooth is totally off on phone and not connecting to car phone/audio via bluetooth, only using 3.5mm cable.  Still same problem as listed in first post.  I'll send you the phone and dock if you want to see for yourself.  I'm leaning towards a phone/software issue seeing as dock works perfectly with my z2.

Thanks,

Scott

Options

57 Posts

08-30-2018

US

476 Signins

8182 Page Views

• Views: 8182
  • Message 5 of 7

2019-02-05, 15:12 PM

Thank you for the additional feedback, we are investigating this further.

-Becky

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

1 Posts

03-29-2019

CA

1 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 6 of 7

2019-03-29, 23:01 PM

So my brand new z3 play does same.thing.

Using Audio jack on incipio dock either does not play, plays and when I switch songs I get a static sound and next song does not play and you have to press play again.

Or no sound plays unless you reseat thetphone in the dock.

Sometimes when I hit play the phones speakers briefly makes sound then dock takes over. Sooooo frustrating.

My original moto z works fine.  It has same version of Android and moto mod is same version up to date.

Obviously this is a moto z3 issue.

For the price of this device why can't Motorola get things right.... $800 cdn lol for a phone that doesn't work with its "moto mods" which is the whole marketing scheme for the device.

Options

2 Posts

08-10-2019

RU

2 Signins

43 Page Views

• Views: 43
  • Message 7 of 7

2019-08-10, 20:18 PM

I want to raise this topic again, I own Z3 play 2018year, my problem is 1 in 1

All updates, android 8.1

I realized that I have a program that plays the sound immediately after connecting 3.5mm,
I connect it to the docking station, and the program automatically starts playing music, everything is fine, BUT if I press PAUSE and wait 4-5 seconds, I hear a CLICK in the columns, and then If you press the play button, that's all, there is no sound.

And also, if you turn off auto music playback, how do you insert the phone into the mod, through the same 4-5 seconds CLICK in the columns and that's it, then there is no sound if you start the program with music

And in the process, if you turn off the music, some sound for 4-5 seconds, everything further only reboot the mod helps

I also have problems with the 360 camera mod, she just doesn’t want to work, black screen.
Absolutely all new updates, Android 8.1

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save