cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ted29
What's DOS?
Views: 338
Message 11 of 23

Re: "Format as Internal" is missing in Z3 play for Storage Expansion via SD card

I have been considering buying a Z3 but I am a little confused. The support.motorola page gives specific instructions on how to format the SD card on a Z3 as internal storage but I am reading here and other sites that it does not support the SD card as internal storage. I have also pulled up the Z3 online user manual and it says The SD card can be used for internal storage and provides instructions on how to set it to internal. "Internal storage: In addition to your media files, you can store some downloadedapps. The microSD card acts as an extension of the internal storage of your phone."

Romalo
Paper Tape
Views: 335
Message 12 of 23

Re: "Format as Internal" is missing in Z3 play for Storage Expansion via SD card

Well, the manual lies, Z3 play can´t format SD card as internal at least for now, idk if lenovo will ever fix that, so if that feature is a must for you, i suggest you look for another phone.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 319
Message 13 of 23

Hi Ted29,

Thanks for reporting. I checked the user manual, I'm also seeing that option, however, Moto Z3 Play doesn't have an option to set the sd card as internal. Sorry for the confusion. I'll have someone to look at it. Thank you. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

TomF_Jr
What's DOS?
Views: 272
Message 14 of 23

People have gotten used to being able to set the SD card on their Moto devices to using adaptable (internal) storage, and I for one would like that option reinstated on the Moto Z3 I recently purchased.

There are conveniece and cost benefits for the purchasers of your devices to having the SD card useable as either portable or Internal storage

My previous phone was a 1st generation Moto Z Play, which was one of the best phones I've used, I even purchased the Camera Mod to go with it. The reason why I chose to upgrade to the Z3 were the Mods ( which I am planning on purchasing more) and that Lenovo and Motorola had the made the decision to allow SD cards to be formated for Internal storage.

TomF_Jr

TomF_Jr
What's DOS?
Views: 271
Message 15 of 23

It is rather misleading and deceitful that even the global help portal states that an SD card can be used as internal storage. It would be nice if this feature was reinstated for the Moto Z3 and Z3 Play

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/indevice_detail/a_id/130366/p/30,6720,10397

TomF_Jr

Fluff_Nugget
Paper Tape
Views: 204
Message 16 of 23

Hi Ted,

You described my situation to a tee and I hope they resolve it woon. I have not just the camera but speaker, battery, and projector attachment so it would be a huge shame if they can't remedy the situation. Thanks for describing it so I just had to echo you.

Fluff_Nugget
Paper Tape
Views: 202
Message 17 of 23

Hi Tom,

You described my situation to a tee and I hope they resolve it soon. I have not just the camera but speaker, battery, and projector mods so it would be a huge shame if they can't remedy the situation. Thanks for describing it so I just had to echo you.

TKarner
What's DOS?
Views: 99
Message 18 of 23

I also am very unhappy that I cannot format my micro SD card as internal storage. I tend to max out on the number of downloads for Spotify and I'm going to use up most of my internal memory to do that when I used to just put it on my card. Please fix this because I feel that I was misled after owning two Motorola phones before this that allowed me to store my Spotify files as internal to my micro SD card. I'm still within my two weeks and and considering returning this phone.

Romalo
Paper Tape
Views: 93
Message 19 of 23

In my personal opinion you should go ahead and return it, coz Moto doesn't care and they're probably not going to fix it. I couldnt return mine coz in my country you can only return a phone when is damaged, but most certainly this is gonna be my last Moto. Net time I'll buy another brand

Highlighted
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 77
Message 20 of 23

Hi Everyone,

I have reported this to the team, we have corrected the Moto Z3 Play stating SD card can be formatted as Internal, way before. The User Guides for both Moto Z3 Play and Moto Z3 were corrected and I'll have someone to check the FAQ for Z3. So sorry for the confusion. I highly appreciate the reports, rest assured we're working on this. Thank you.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Top Kudoed Authors