Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dwhisent-1
Punch Card
Views: 183
Message 11 of 24

Re: 5G Moto Mod Available Today for Discounted ($50) Preorder

I think we are both correct.  If using 5G, VZW has said that it will cost $10/month.  However, purchasing the Z3 over 24 months (did not see any option for paying outright) also adds $10/month for 2 years.  But I don't believe they charge you for owning the 5G mod, unless you are actually using it.

@SAWig-1

SAWig-1
Punch Card
Views: 177
Message 12 of 24

Yes we both are but in order to get the promo you have to sign up for an unlimited plan and you have to agree to paying $10 a month for having the device on your account. It could be no monthly charge it you out right buy it. 

Zorb750
Fanfold Paper
Views: 174
Message 13 of 24

The $10 5G service fee is waived for 3 months, not that this is exactly huge savings.

dwhisent-1
Punch Card
Views: 154
Message 14 of 24

I called VZW and got a clarification, although I am probably the only one that needed it.  You do not get charged just for having the 5G mod.  Charges will not start until it is activated.  It can't be activated unless you are in a 5G area, and even then you have to agree to the activation.  Once activated, you get 3 months free.  So it will be up to the individual whether 5G is worth an additional $10/month.

SAWig-1
Punch Card
Views: 143
Message 15 of 24

That's not the impression I got from when I talked to them. But hell it took 5 different people to help me order the mod.

SAWig-1
Punch Card
Views: 142
Message 16 of 24

brooktrout
Punch Card
Views: 118
Message 17 of 24

So my real issues are that I would need an unlimited plan at around 20- 30 bucks more and another ten bucks per month for 5g. In addition to not knowing when 5g will be deployed where I live, the phone itself could be toast by the time it is deployed to my area. Happy for the people who will get to use it. I for one though never bought the phone for the promise of 5g goodness. Good milestone for Moto having the first 5g ready device. Another thought, does the 5g mod require the unreleased pie update to work?

sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Views: 108
Message 18 of 24

@brooktrout wrote:

So my real issues are that I would need an unlimited plan at around 20- 30 bucks more and another ten bucks per month for 5g. In addition to not knowing when 5g will be deployed where I live, the phone itself could be toast by the time it is deployed to my area. Happy for the people who will get to use it. I for one though never bought the phone for the promise of 5g goodness. Good milestone for Moto having the first 5g ready device. Another thought, does the 5g mod require the unreleased pie update to work?

Based on everything I have read....Yes.  5G functionality will require an update for the Z3 and Z2 phones, which is rumored to be part of the Android Pie update for these phones.

~Scott
Highlighted
SAWig-1
Punch Card
Views: 93
Message 19 of 24

If we need Pie to run the mod then they better have it out by April because thats roughly the ship date.

I bought the mod for the extra battery plus hoping the device can use the SD855 that's inside for processing. We shall see what is to come of this device.

bill-e
Punch Card
Views: 57
Message 20 of 24

I would buy the mod if I could do so without the additional $10/month.  My Z3 was only $5/month and I doubt I will see 5G anywhere near where I live during the phone's lifetime.  I would like the faster 4G chip though...bummer.

Top Kudoed Authors