Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NateB31
Fanfold Paper
Views: 438
Message 1 of 8

Apps crashing, phone rebooting, boot looping - Troubleshooting recommendations

Hello,

I'm getting somewhat discouraged with our Moto Z3. I recently factory reset it, I don't want to give up on it but am running out of options. Here are my steps so far:

1. Factory reset phone via the settings menu option.
    - The phone would get to the "M" boot screen then started boot looping about 15 seconds between boot. This repeated for 10+ times.
  2. Use this Moto Z3 Play article to interrupt the boot loop and get to recovery. I assumed it was the same steps for Moto Z3.
    - I was able to get it to factory reset again via recovery, this time the factory reset seemed to complete.
  3. Then, I selected my Moto X4 as a backup device.
    - Almost none of the apps from my Moto X4, or the stock apps, would update. I canceled all app updates.
    - Googe Play Store and Google Drive kept crashing.
    - Eventually, some UI CCC app crashed and the screen did not respond to touch.
    - The screen went black and I could no longer get any button (even the power button) to respond.
    - I was too frustrated, so I put the phone away and went to bed.
  4. In the morning, the battery was dead, but the screen responded when I pushed the power button (to tell me there was 0% power left).
    - I charged it to 30% and the took it off the charger while I was at work.
    - I left it alone for the day and charged it more when I got home.
  5. After charging it, I tested Safe Mode.
    - That seemed to have fewer crashes, but a few apps still crashed. I can't remember too many more details.
  6. I then factory reset it again via recovery.
    - This completed very quickly and seemed to be successful.
    - On the initial "Welcome" to Android screen, GBoard crashed Smiley Sad
    - I continued setting up the phone, and did not select a backup phone (fresh install).
    - A few app downloads had to be restarted when installing/upgrading from the install.
  7. So far tonight, I've seen a few app crashes and a random device reboot when updating google photos.
  8. It then started to boot loop again, but I was able to stop that by going to recovery and just restarting the phone.
  9. Google Hangouts just crashed, so I decided to finally make this post.

Is there anything else I should try before requesting a replacement device? A few app crashes here and there are not a huge deal, but the excessive crashes, random reboots, and boot loops are really frustrating. I'm not sure if there is an online software download to reset the device or something to check the hardware health. As far as I can tell the phone is physically in excellent condition.

Thanks,

Nathan

BigWilly
SCSI Port
Views: 395
Message 2 of 8

Re: Apps crashing, phone rebooting, boot looping - Troubleshooting recommendations

Apps, though they can be the same app and software experiences across devices, platforms, ect, the user data they store is unique to the phone they are on. 

Stop copying data from x4 to z3.

Start fresh with z3.

How many apps does one even need. 

Including the ones that comes with my phone z2, I have 51.

I delete them and uninstall them all the time.  I don't think imo there is any point to backing up a phone beyond usb transfer for photos and home movies and some contacts list but even that can be pushed to sim card so already backed up. 

Seems like you are creating more problems with this backup and restore paradigm than it's worth. 

Food for thought idk, hope I didn't offend you I'm trying hard to articulate and I'm gruff. 

NateB31
Fanfold Paper
Views: 380
Message 3 of 8

Re: Apps crashing, phone rebooting, boot looping - Troubleshooting recommendations

Hey, thanks for the reply!

According to the backup step, I have just under 90 apps. But I agree, it's not mandatory, just a convenience.

Though, there's a difference between one or two apps crashing, that need to have their data cleared; and what seems to be significant system stability issues with boot loops and unresponsive hardware buttons.

I did try a fresh install, without a backup from another phone, in step 6.  Even before making that selection GBoard crashed on the very first boot-up screen to configure Android (I had not picked a WiFi connection, Google account, or any other customization).

If you have any other suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks again,

Nathan

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 337
Message 4 of 8

Hi NateB31,

Thanks for posting. I appreciate all the steps you've tried and done. Are you using an SD card? If so, kindly unmount it for the meantime. Also, you mentioned you reset the device, did you restore/reinstall your apps after doing the reset? If so, I would recommend not to reinstall your apps right after doing the reset, try installing your apps one at a time until you noticed improvements. Make sure you have the latest system software version. Let me know if that helps. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

NateB31
Fanfold Paper
Views: 331
Message 5 of 8

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the reply. I don't have an SD card. I tried to do a Factory Reset without any backup, and it even had a crash when initially setting up android (no customizations).

I'm going to try a few more things and then possibly look into making a warranty claim.

Thanks again,

Nathan

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 313
Message 6 of 8

@NateB31 wrote:

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the reply. I don't have an SD card. I tried to do a Factory Reset without any backup, and it even had a crash when initially setting up android (no customizations).

I'm going to try a few more things and then possibly look into making a warranty claim.

Thanks again,

Nathan

Make sure the system software is up to date as well. Otherwise, the phone needs to be repaired. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

NateB31
Fanfold Paper
Views: 286
Message 7 of 8

Thanks. I just got it back from Motorola service. The replacement phone works so much better.

Thanks again!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 253
Message 8 of 8

@NateB31 wrote:

Thanks. I just got it back from Motorola service. The replacement phone works so much better.

Thanks again!

Thanks for keeping me updated. I'm glad you'd like the replacement phone. Let me know if you need further help. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Top Kudoed Authors