cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrogers2005
Punch Card
Views: 124
Message 1 of 8

Charge phone and use headphones at the same time?

We bought my son a new Z3 for Christmas and have run into the issdue of being able to charge the phone and listen to headphones (or use the USB-C dongle to output to a cord for accessory-in on hisolder car head unit). The kid lives in his car and must have those jams blasting and his old Turbo 2 never ran out of juice because he coujld plug into the 12v power and conenct his phone (via the headphone jack) without any conflict.

I know many will suggest a Bluetooth headset, that approach will work when he is not in the car, but his car does not have BT connection and we are not going to spring for a new aftermarket head unit just so he can play music-- we have to use the accessory line-in method.

There are various adapters that purport to work but so far none explicit;y say they will work with the Z3. The car is in Arizona, we are in NJ, and his ability and fortitude to test various methods is not robust, to put it kindly. Does anyone know what I can tell him to get that we know works for this purpose for the Z3?

Many thanks

bill-e
Punch Card
Views: 112
Message 2 of 8

Re: Charge phone and use headphones at the same time?

There are lots of them on Amazon and I would expect that they all work with the Z3.  I just purchased this adapter for my Tab S4 and tried it out on my Z3 and it worked just fine so I'd expect others to work as well.

mrogers2005
Punch Card
Views: 103
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the reply. The one thatyou selected for your S4 doesn't have a headphone jack, if it had the headphone jack instead of the HDMI that mnight be the ticket but I need one that either splits USB-C into USB-C and Headphone or splits 1 USB-C into 2 so he can grab power from one and then use his headphone dongle on the other for his accessory-out cable

Lots of reports from people who bought such a solution that works on one phone, like maybe a Pixel, but not on another so I was hoping to fidn one that we know for sure works with Z3

bill-e
Punch Card
Views: 96
Message 4 of 8

The one I have I purchased was for the HDMI but it also has a Type A USB port so an adapter like this would allow you to plug in the headphone with the included adapter.

mrogers2005
Punch Card
Views: 61
Message 5 of 8

But the adapter from your first post needs to split to 2 USB ports, not one USB and one HDMI, I still need a USB-C port to provide power.

Ideally the solution would be something like this product: https://www.gearbest.com/chargers-cables/pp_1679044.html?wid=1433363&currency=USD&vip=17147447&gclid...

My original question was if anyone has purchased such an adapter (and specifically, which one) for their Z3 and found it to work, there are dozens of comments about products like this that all say that it will work for one phone but not another. Because my son is not very technical and is a few thousand miles away I need to know for sure what will work, not order him a dozen different ones to try. 

There definitely is a difference in how the different manufacturers handle the headphone over USB-C issue, my headphone dongle that I received with my Z Force won't work on my Pixel 2 XL and vice-versa doesn't work, either.

Highlighted
bill-e
Punch Card
Views: 58
Message 6 of 8

The adapter I referenced does split into two USB connections, a type C and a Typ A....hence the second link for an adapter.

Anyway, good luck in your serarch.

mrogers2005
Punch Card
Views: 52
Message 7 of 8

Please see attached image for an explanation of the issue. I appreciate your help but it seems that my request is still unclear.

I have annotated the photo for the product you are recommending to explain why it won't accomplish what I am trying to do.

bill-e
Punch Card
Views: 37
Message 8 of 8

No problem, I actually did understand and I just tried it and this adapter will not pass any audio from either port.

IMG_20190111_111502386.jpg

Top Kudoed Authors