Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cvannor
What's DOS?
Views: 413
Message 1 of 8

Low speaker volume Moto z3

My speaker volume is incredibly low though the volume is at Max. It used to work just fine. I don't know what happened. Maybe some update messed it up? Any suggestions welcome. The phone can now only be used in my car on Bluetooth the volume is too low otherwise

sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Views: 360
Message 2 of 8

Re: Low speaker volume Moto z3

Did your phone recently upgrade to Android 9.0 Pie?  With Android 9 Pie, the volume buttons control Media Volume by default. You have to click the gear symbol on the Volume Up / Down pop-up screen to adjust the other volumes

~Scott
WageMage
Blue Screen Again
Views: 244
Message 3 of 8

I'm having the same issue to the point of my phone almost becoming unusable for playing music. I use my phone to listen to music at the gym and with headphones in I can barely hear the music at all which seriously affects my ability to focus. That's with the media volume at max on my phone, headphones, and Spotify.
It's the same story watching videos; practically unusable. 

To be clear, the volume has been low since day one of buying this phone but now it's suddenly even worse and I'm seriously considering trading in my phone, which is disappointing since I loved the Moto X but the Z3 just isn't cutting it. 

(oh, and I've been sleeping through my alarms since the volume is so quiet now which is frustrating and caused me to be late to work)

TomR2
Blue Screen Again
Views: 159
Message 4 of 8

Is there some sort of app that helps with the music volume? I understand the controls and I generally have no problem with call volume, but listening to music is nearly impossible, especially with headphones. Do I need to switch to an iPhone to listen to streaming music? A current phone should have that capability.

sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Views: 146
Message 5 of 8

You shouldn't have to switch to an iPhone to listen to music, or any other phone.

I have not noticed any low speaker volumes on my wife's Z3.  I can hear her alarm half way across the house, and speakerphone calls are always nice & loud.  She uses Bluetooth headphones a lot and they play music nice & loud.  She has never complained about using her wired headphones, so I assume the music volume is good with those also.

For the folks experiencing these issues, was the volume fine before the Android 9.0 Pie update and then the issue started afterward?

~Scott
WageMage
Blue Screen Again
Views: 142
Message 6 of 8

The volume has always been lower than what I'm used to but before the update it was at least acceptable. Since about a week ago (which is a few days after my phone last updated) it has suddenly dropped to a VERY low level. MUCH lower. 

Highlighted
TomR2
Blue Screen Again
Views: 140
Message 7 of 8

Maybe, I'm not sure. Many people are now having this problem.

So what do we do now?

sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Views: 86
Message 8 of 8

The reason I asked about the Pie update is because sometimes OS updates cause weird issues, especially if the phone was used for a while on one version and then updated.  I updated my wife's phone to 9.0 Pie the day I first opened the box and turned on the phone (she has only had it since May); before doing anything else with the phone.

I know no one likes to hear this, and people that suggest it sometimes get bashed but this is what I do when weird issues arise (especially after a new OS update):

* backup all personal files (music, pics, files, etc.) somewhere safe and off the phone; like Google Drive, Dropbox, an SD card, a ghard drive, a laptop, etc.

* tun off the auto backup option in Settins

* factory reset the phone and wipe all user data and restore it to factory settings

* when activating Android again do not select the restore from backup option, setup the phone as new

* do not install any Play Store apps, or adjust any Settings yet

* test for whatever condition / issue you had and see if it is gone or still present

* if the issue is gone, download apps from the Play Store, update existing apps, and setup the phone (and monitor for the issue to return in case an app from the Play Store causes the issue)

* if the issue is still present after a factory reset, and with no Play Store apps installed, no changes to default Settings, then it might be time to look into a warranty replacement or some type of service

Like I mentioned, I know people don't like that advice.  But it's one of the only ways to tell if the issue is caused by hardware failure or some Play Store app, etc.

~Scott
Top Kudoed Authors