Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bill-e
Punch Card
Views: 1,091
Message 11 of 31

Re: Moto Z3 gives double vision in Google Daydream

@benjamminh wrote:

I thought I read the screen wasn't high enough resolution for VR. 

It must be, works fine with Google Cardboard which is why I'm not sure that it isn't a Daydream app problem.

By that I mean Cardboard app, Daydream goggles, works fine.

Baydar62
Paper Tape
Views: 1,097
Message 12 of 31

Could be. It’s 2160 by 1080. Not great. What is also odd is that the Google Cardboard demo app works, but when I download another app like ping pong vr, it has the double vision problem again. I also tried VR app for YouTubefro FullDive. The basic YouTube app work. It when I download the full feature app from FullDive it goes double vision as well. Even though it says it’s works on the cardboard, and I set the Headset setting for Google Cardboard, it goes double vision. Frustrating. If I don’t use the google app and go straight to the YouTube VR station it is fine for 3D video. I just don’t understand why it works on the google cardboard demo but not  vr apps for the cardboard.

Baydar62
Paper Tape
Views: 1,084
Message 13 of 31

After thinking about it more. The resolution should not be the problem. It works on the google carboard demo app and the FullDive VR Tube app. So it must be the Moto Z3 software not working with Goggle Cardboard compatible apps. I hope the Moto team addresses this. Otherwise I’m seriously thinking to return the Z3 for a different phone. VR is the new wave and the new phones should at least handle basic VR. Moto Z, and Z2 are Daydream ready so Z3 should at least work with Google Cardbaord apps. 

Baydar62
Paper Tape
Views: 1,066
Message 14 of 31

OK. Now it’s pretty much official that Moto z3 is NOT compatible with Google Cardoard or Daydream. I tried to reinstall Google Cardboard and followed the install procedure. It asked what phone to use. It showed my Samsung S5 and my Moto Z3, but the Z3 was grayed out and would not load. However, my old Samsung S5 worked! I kept the old phone and when I loaded Ping Pong VR and FullDive VR (ull version) they worked great using my $36 Desktek V4! I played pong, then used FullDive VR to view my video files in a theatre, watched YouTube VR, and uses the internet browser available with FullDive VR and search the web. So if my 4 or 5 year old Samsung S5 (1920 x 1080) can handle Google Cardboard my Moto Z3 with 2160 x 1080 should.

The one thing that may be the issue is the 6.01 inch screen. It’s wider than most. But since the view is fine in the Cardboard demo, I’m still wondering why it won’t work with other cardboard compatible apps. That all said, the cardboard app won’t recogize the Moto Z3 on install (even though the demo works), so I hope Motorola/Lenovo can fix that. Thanks.

gonzomustang
Paper Tape
Views: 1,013
Message 15 of 31

I have the issue, too. It definitely should not be resolution as other phones with similar and less can support daydream. 

Please advise if any workarounds. Very bummed. Bought this phone to support daydream (and Verizon told me it was supported). Even the app installs, while on other phones where not compatible, the app does not install. I considered buying the LG V40 as well, but the app would not even install on that phoine in the Verizon store. 

BortFrenzy1
Punch Card
Views: 964
Message 16 of 31

Hoping this is something that can be fixed in a future update. Not sure if Rich was able to get a solid answer on what the situation is. Here's hoping that maybe it can still be addressed.

Highlighted
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 948
Message 17 of 31

Hi BortFrenzy1,

We have our software teams testing this. I'll follow up on them and I'll post here as soon as I get an answer. Thank you. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 818
Message 18 of 31

Hi Everyone,

I just got a confirmation from the team. They confirmed that the device was never tuned to support Daydream (Link). Thank you for all your feedback will sure pass this along, but we can't guarantee any changes. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

gonzomustang
Paper Tape
Views: 795
Message 19 of 31

Yes, ok I can see that it is not specifically listed on googles Daydream site.... But:

* with Motorola's naming, and seeing many other Z series phones listed on the Daydream site, you can assume it is supported

* The app itself RUNS on the phone, while those phones that DO NOT support it (like LG V40, which is simple update to LG V30) the app DOES NOT run.

* Verizon (where this phone is only avilable) says Daydream IS supported. 

It feels like something that could be made to work with software. IE. I think mainly the increased screen size is causing it, so couldn't you just reduce the amount of pixels that light up for Daydream? Give the Daydream "mode" the same pixel footprint that other Z series are using? I know not perfect, but no worse than other Z series Daydream support.

One reason I bought this phone was for Daydream app developement and support.

Very Disappointed!

Baydar62
Paper Tape
Views: 765
Message 20 of 31

I appreciate your follow up. However, I’m also rather disappointed. First, the link you listed does not work. I do not understand what “not tuned for Daydream” means. As another user mentioned, other Z series phones work, so why not the Z3? Second, why didn’t they “tune” it? And if it’s a software issue, can’t they provide an update to correct the issue? I understand you stated you cannot guarantee changes, but VR is gaining popularity and even if it worked on the basic Google cardboard it would be a benefit. Thank you for your consideration.

David

Top Kudoed Authors