Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff_Sellers
Paper Tape
Views: 546
Message 21 of 31

Re: Moto Z3 gives double vision in Google Daydream

So now the 5G mod is coming out and all they hype around what it will do for VR. But it's being released for a phone that the manufacturer does not "support" VR even though the last 2 models did. It feels like Motorola has abandoned it's early adopters in an age where the usual question is "Will you be buying an Apple or Samsung phone today?" Not a great feeling. Something for everyone to keep in mind when you purchase your next phone.

gonzomustang
Paper Tape
Views: 477
Message 22 of 31

Hi

After re-reading and considering your last post on this subject, I understand it was never "tuned" for Daydream, but can you answer whether it be updated to support it? Is it being considered?

If not, is there a different VR solution for this phone? I recently saw a 1 year-old spoiler post here: https://www.androidcentral.com/motorolas-stepping-vr-space-its-virtual-viewer-moto-mod about a VR mod. Is that ever coming? Or maybe Motorola is just avoiding the VR arena altogether now? :-( 

I'm gonna have to dump this phone if I cannot get support for daydream or another VR system. Cardboard also does not work that well on this phone, but probably because of same "lack-of-tuning". The cardboard app and Google VR services crash often on this phone, and many apps will not even start.

My 3 year-old Samusng S7 is still working with VR Gear and Cardboard quite well, so might have to switch back over to it. :-(

This is more than enough to sour my Motorola experience and to avoid in the future. I am impressed with the phone so far except for this issue. I like that it uses a cleaner version of Android (unlike bloatware crap that Samsung is pushing on their phones). I even bought a couple moto-mods and think the idea is great. but if it cannot support VR, then I need to find another phone. Please consider bringing this newest phone up-to-par with your other Moto Z phones in the VR space.

thanks.

Jeff_Sellers
Paper Tape
Views: 419
Message 23 of 31

Per the Qualcomm page for the 5G Moto Mod they specifically say "Snap on the 5G moto mod, though, and moto z3 users gain 5G speeds, efficiency, and the power to do just about anything, like download an entire 4K movie in seconds or experience near lag-free AR and VR." So can we get some clarification on the 5G mod and if this will resolve Daydream issue or will it be some other flavor of VR 

https://www.qualcomm.com/snapdragon/smartphones/motorola-moto-z3-5g-moto-mod

Highlighted
Jeff_Sellers
Paper Tape
Views: 375
Message 24 of 31

Got 5g mod last night. I can confirm Daydream still says not compatible. Could we get a follow from a Moderator on this?

pav1
HDMI
Views: 291
Message 25 of 31

If I'm not mistaken, Google's optimal Daydream configuration recommends a Quad HD (1440p) screen resolution. The Z2 Force was the last Moto Z series phone to support this.  Both the Z3 and Z3 Play have a 1080p screen which could be the reason why these phones are not being officially supported by Daydream.

gonzomustang
Paper Tape
Views: 270
Message 26 of 31

@pav1, whatever the requirements, it sucks that Motorola allowed the app to run on the Z3. It was installed in verizon store, and verizon employee said it would work. Plus based on other Z series phone experiences, one would assume it would work. 

Then, android 9 comes along, and now the app CLEARLY says the phone is incompatible, BUT ironically the background image is now working.

Even in google cardboard, the google services crashes often on this phone.

So clearly motorola has given up on supporting any sort of VR. Avoid Motorola if you want something for VR.

pav1
HDMI
Views: 239
Message 27 of 31

@gonzomustang wrote: 

...Then, android 9 comes along, and now the app CLEARLY says the phone is incompatible, BUT ironically the background image is now working.

Even in google cardboard, the google services crashes often on this phone.

So clearly motorola has given up on supporting any sort of VR. Avoid Motorola if you want something for VR.

With the way Lenovo/Motorola has handled the Z3/Z3Play by supplying it with a dated flagship processor and limiting it to a single carrier (Verizon), it seems to indicate Motorola will be re-branded as a "budget" phone company.

With regard to Daydream compatibility, the Google specification recommends 1440p resolution but is also compatible with 1080p screens. It could be simply a bug or it could be that the newest Daydream requirements have since changed with Android 9.

Google's I/O conference will be in a few days and you may soon find your answer.

1234go
What's DOS?
Views: 196
Message 28 of 31

The problem is that the phone screen is too long. The SBS image is not centered properly, so we're all seeing double vision. They need to update the disparity between the images to be centered properly. Youtube doesnt have a setting for this, but this would be a solution for vr youtubers. This is really upsetting since i make vr content and cant even show anyone on my own phone.

pav1
HDMI
Views: 188
Message 29 of 31

Remember the rumored VR Moto Mod? It never made the light of day.  Perhaps Lenovo/Motorola figured out early that there's not much of a future in the VR market.  A recent Fast Company interview with Rick Osterloh, Google's head of hardware, suggests that the Daydream initiative is no longer a priority:

"...when I ask about virtual reality (VR), however, Osterloh’s exuberance fades. Google helped to democratize the technology with its Cardboard viewer, but Daydream, the company’s rival to Facebook’s Oculus, hasn’t gone much of anywhere and doesn’t seem to be a current priority. “We’re still in the very early days of VR,” he cautions. “I’m sure we’ll continue to invest in it in different ways, but where exactly we take Daydream remains to be seen.”

It could very well be that Daydream gets the axe within the next few years.  If Google isn't taking it seriously, maybe it's just not worth pursuing further.

pav1
HDMI
Views: 158
Message 30 of 31

Looks like Googles's newly announced Pixel phones won't support Daydream either: https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/7/18527072/google-daydream-vr-support-pixel-3a-io-2019

There's also no mention of Daydream developer sessions in the Google I/O 2019 schedule.

That's not a good sign for the future of Daydream.

Top Kudoed Authors