Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RangerDubya
Paper Tape
Views: 6,089
Message 1 of 8

Moto Z3 screen cast

Screen cast can't find any TV's when I try it. Is there a setting I'm kissing to turn on?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 5,937
Message 2 of 8

Re: Moto Z3 screen cast

@RangerDubya wrote:

Screen cast can't find any TV's when I try it. Is there a setting I'm kissing to turn on?

No  but has been mentioned in the past, stock android devices only cast to chromecast. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Steve12345
Paper Tape
Views: 5,893
Message 3 of 8

Google changed a line of Android code to prevent any screen casting except Chromecast about two ago -- thanks google Smiley Sad.   I think Moto/Lenovo is just too cheap/apathetic to invest the time/labor to change this simple one line of code that has disabled this time honored function of simple screen casting.  My moto z2 is about a year old now and I miss this function EVERY time I return from a trip and try to share pictures.  Too bad I'm hooked on the darn chop-chop flashlight that I use almost daily, or I'd be more aggressively switching over to Samsung, who apparently takes the time to fix this malicious limitation that Google/Android has insulted us all with.  Email Google if you really want your screen casting back - obviously Lenovo doesn't care.

mkidd
Punch Card
Views: 5,877
Message 4 of 8

You can do it via the application called "LG TV plus" if you have an WebOS TV for the pictures and videos you store in your phone.

Of course it's not the same thing as having miracast but still better than nothing.

cornflakes76
What's DOS?
Views: 4,544
Message 5 of 8

The information suggesting this is simply Android wide thing is incorrect. The following suggests, that the idea posed that it can be done but that Lenovo is too cheap and/or lazy is more accurate. I can cast to my Roku TV and Roku 3 just fine using my S9+, my son's Tab S3, my wife's S8+ and even my previous LG phone could do it. All of which are android and all capable of casting except my daughter's Z3 or her Z Play before that.

Does anyone have a workaround for this issue outside of rooting and using a custom rom?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 4,532
Message 6 of 8

@cornflakes76 wrote:

The information suggesting this is simply Android wide thing is incorrect. The following suggests, that the idea posed that it can be done but that Lenovo is too cheap and/or lazy is more accurate. I can cast to my Roku TV and Roku 3 just fine using my S9+, my son's Tab S3, my wife's S8+ and even my previous LG phone could do it. All of which are android and all capable of casting except my daughter's Z3 or her Z Play before that.

Does anyone have a workaround for this issue outside of rooting and using a custom rom?

Information before is correct. Stock android doesn't support screen casting except to Google Chrome Cast. 

For devices that do cast (as mentioned above), the manufacturers have enabled this feature that is not enabled in stock android. Manufacturers customize many things - some enable separate volume controls for notifications and ringtone - but although they add or enable a feature, doesn't change the fact that it is not enabled in stock android. 

Some people have luck with various DLNA applications.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
REWard001
What's DOS?
Views: 109
Message 7 of 8

I have just found "All Screen" & "All Cast" that both allow me to send audio, video, photos, etc. To my LG TV (both are free apps in the Google Play Store) and work rather well!

Highlighted
REWard001
What's DOS?
Views: 108
Message 8 of 8

I am still trying to get my screen to truly "Mirror" my actual phone screen to the TV! And of course on my Z4 "Project Screen" is greyed out (**bleep**?)!
Top Kudoed Authors