Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brisingrlover
Paper Tape
Views: 1,112
Message 1 of 16

Replace Moto Voice Beta with Older Version

I had the Droid Turbo 2 and absolutely loved the Moto assistant that came installed on it, but I recently had to replace it, so I went with the Moto Z3 since it also had Moto. MY favorite part of Moto was being able to use a custom activation phrase, but on the Z3, it has a Beta of the Moto voice, which doesn't let me create an activation phrase, instead of the full thing. How can I uninstall the Beta voice and install a version that will let me use a custom activation phrase? is there some way to install the same version that I had on my Droid Turbo 2?
Even if I have to root my phone, I'm willing to do it to get that feature back

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,098
Message 2 of 16

Re: Replace Moto Voice Beta with Older Version

@brisingrlover wrote:

I had the Droid Turbo 2 and absolutely loved the Moto assistant that came installed on it, but I recently had to replace it, so I went with the Moto Z3 since it also had Moto. MY favorite part of Moto was being able to use a custom activation phrase, but on the Z3, it has a Beta of the Moto voice, which doesn't let me create an activation phrase, instead of the full thing. How can I uninstall the Beta voice and install a version that will let me use a custom activation phrase? is there some way to install the same version that I had on my Droid Turbo 2?
Even if I have to root my phone, I'm willing to do it to get that feature back

I doubt the software you see is a Beta version, if it was, you could uninstall in and get back to the original version that shipped on the device. 

More likely Motorola created a newer or different version for the Z3. We can’t discuss rooting on these forums, but that probably would not help anyway. 

Keep in mind that software is often compiled with "tags" indicating what device it was designed for. So even if you found the Droid Turbo 2 variant of Moto Voice, it likely would not install. 

I think Moto started limiting what Moto assistant could/would do as it became obvious that Google was moving into that space. Purely speculation on my part. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Highlighted
brisingrlover
Paper Tape
Views: 1,075
Message 3 of 16

this is what makes me think it's a beta version

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,051
Message 4 of 16

@brisingrlover wrote:

this is what makes me think it's a beta version

Thanks for the screenshot. There's no native way for us to roll back to the previous version of the Moto Voice. Also, we don't discuss rooting of phone here. Site rulesThanks for your feedback. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Nytshaed
Paper Tape
Views: 621
Message 5 of 16

Hello, same version in my Z3. I want the custom launch phrase back as well. 

Nyt

Turbokat
Fanfold Paper
Views: 608
Message 6 of 16

I have never been so disappointed in Motorola in my life. What an ordeal. I had a droid turbo II, best phone yet. Loved the handsfree texting and replying hands free. But my droid got old, ordered a new G7 power cause it said it had moto voice, A DEFINITE MUST HAVE!! Well I get it and it doesn't even have voice. Motorola then has me send pics of sites and email I received saying the G7 power did have voice. It's a mistake, error. So, now I exchange for the Z3 because it has the moto actions with voice. I have talked to motorola support so many times over this whole thing and believe me they don't even know their own phones. One rep tells me, set it like this, another rep tells me that version doesn't do that anymore. What gives? I talked with motorola numerous times and told them exactly what I wanted and they said, go with Z3. So, how do I get my moto voice to handsfree, read my text and handsfree, reply to my text? Can enybody give me a straight answer?

sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Views: 593
Message 7 of 16

Yes, it does work on the Z3, like it worked on the Z2.  You have to setup your voice with the Google app (Assistant) first.  Open the Google app and go into the Settings > find  Voice > Voice Match (I believe) > setup your OK Google voice model and follow all the on screen prompts, and be sure to check all the Allow Permissions so it can work even when the screen is off and the phone is locked.  Then when finished open the Moto app > Features > Moto Voice Beta > Gear symbol > Talk To Me > turn Driving to On.

Works find on my wife's Moto Z3.  As long as we setup the voice model with Google Assistant first.

Also, according to Moto the G7 and G7 Play have Moto Voice but the G7 Power does not.  So their website doesn't clearly explain that the G7 Power sold in the US does not have Moto Voice.  They also completely removed Moto Voice from the new Z4.  Just FYI.  I think Moto Voice has died a slow death (at least in the US) and Google Assistant is the future, even though Assistant has no hands free driving options.

~Scott
Turbokat
Fanfold Paper
Views: 581
Message 8 of 16

Ok, will try out in car later. I did everything But Google assist. We'll see what happens now. Never needed that ony Droid Turbo II. I'll definitely get back to ya and let you know what happens. Thanks for the info. 

sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Views: 575
Message 9 of 16

@Turbokat wrote:

Ok, will try out in car later. I did everything But Google assist. We'll see what happens now. Never needed that ony Droid Turbo II. I'll definitely get back to ya and let you know what happens. Thanks for the info. 

The Turbo 2 had a completely different version of Moto Voice, before Google Assistant was around.  Back then it was Google Now and not Assistant.  When phones started Assistant integration we had to setup Voice Commands with Google Assistant first, then setup things in the Moto app.  That's why the phone and Assistant prompted you to setup Google Voice / Assistant when it was first activated, so you could use all those hands free features.....like Moto Driving Mode

~Scott
Turbokat
Fanfold Paper
Views: 560
Message 10 of 16

Ok, everything was set. While driving, I asked a friend to text me. It never announced text. I tried numerous times. But later, I asked Google to send a text, it did, and then, it started telling me I had a reply, would I like to answer, it did. We went back & forth a few times. But that only happened after I sent out a text. Why won't it announce a random text. Is there something I'm still doing wrong?

Top Kudoed Authors