05-23-2019

US

14 Signins

125 Page Views

• Views: 125
  • Message 1 of 18

Speaker Mods started emitting crackling/static

2020-02-21, 23:39 PM

The static/crackling problem has appeared on my 9-month old Moto Z3 running the latest stock Verizon Android 9.  It is there when my JBL Soundboost 2 or my Alexa Speaker Mod is attached, but not when my Turbopower Pack battery Mod is attached, nor does my 360° Camera Mod misbehave in any way.

Not only does playing audio through either speaker Mod result in just static (no audio program is discernible), but even tapping on any navigation icon or app icon results in a short burst of audio static, sounding like "Chszst". I don't have haptic feedback set, so this crackling feedback was surprising.  There is no static when typing on the Google keyboard Gboard.  There is also no static when I have a Speaker Mod attached but am connected via bluetooth to headphones.

The phone's pins look fine and clean.  While the TurboPower Pack Mod has a lesser number of pins than the two speaker mods, the 360° Camera has the same full complement of pins as the two Speaker Mods.

I tried

- rebooting with the Mod attached

- resetting Network settings

- Safe Mode

- removing the recently-installed apps that I could recall

- Force stopping Moto Mods Manager

I haven't tried a factory reset, because in searching, all that I found who tried this were unsuccessful in solving the problem.

Any idea what's wrong?  Any solutions?  If not, what's my next step?  I bought this from Best Buy in the U.S., but they no longer stock the Z3 (which I otherwise love).

Thanks for any help.

Options

8689 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1023 Signins

135777 Page Views

• Views: 135777
  • Message 2 of 18

Re:Speaker Mods started emitting crackling/static

2020-02-25, 23:12 PM

Hi jjt2me,

I appreciate the things you've tried. It appears to be some sort failure on the pins that manage audio. Can you duplicate using those mods on other Z devices? It is essential to perform the factory data reset in this case. That will help us isolate if this is just a software or a hardware failure. Make sure not to restore apps or backups, just backup your important files so you won't lose them. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

11 Posts

05-23-2019

US

14 Signins

125 Page Views

• Message 3 of 18

2020-02-28, 2:07 AM

Rich,

Thanks for responding.

I still have the same problem on both speaker mods after the factory reset.  No discernible sound is played other than the static, plus static when tapping on an app or a control within an app, plus static when tapping any of the three nav buttons, but no static when scrolling.  A short bit of static was heard even when just attaching each Mod.

I did the minimum after the factory reset, just followed the initial setup prompts to get started (Google Account, PIN + fingerprint, etc.) and only opened the Moto app to be sure there wasn't some initialization required regarding the Mods.  Then opened Google Play Music for the test.

I don't have access to another Z device.  The problem occurred nearly simultaneously on both speaker Mods (I thought the first was broken, so swapped in the second).

Looking at the phone's pins with a magnifying glass, I can see nothing that looks bad.  When I drag my fingers over them, as if reading braille, all pins feel the same to me.

Joe

Options

8689 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1023 Signins

135777 Page Views

• Message 4 of 18

2020-03-06, 20:24 PM

Hi jjt2me,

Thanks for your response. Does it happen when you attach the mods to a different Z device? If possible, can you test that? It will help us isolate if it's the mod or your phone which may need a repair. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

11 Posts

05-23-2019

US

14 Signins

125 Page Views

• Message 5 of 18

2020-03-10, 17:39 PM

Rich.

I don't know anyone with a Z device to do that test.  As I said, though, the problem occurred nearly simultaneously with both speaker mods.

Joe

Options

8689 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1023 Signins

135777 Page Views

• Message 6 of 18

2020-04-09, 19:59 PM

Hi jjt2me,

I apologize for the very late response. There was a small overlap during the migration. I just saw your reply. Do you still need assistance with this? Please let me know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

11 Posts

05-23-2019

US

14 Signins

125 Page Views

• Message 7 of 18

2020-04-10, 16:54 PM

Rich,

Sure.  Appreciate any help you can give.  Thanks for staying with me.

Joe

Options

8689 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1023 Signins

135777 Page Views

• Message 8 of 18

2020-04-13, 20:26 PM

Hi jjt2me,

Thanks for getting back. This actually sounds like a hardware failure, I'd like to confirm though, when you did the factory data reset, did you restore your apps/backup?

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Options

11 Posts

05-23-2019

US

14 Signins

125 Page Views

• Message 9 of 18

2020-04-14, 21:47 PM

Rich,

I tried to do the minimum after the reset: initial setup, opened the Moto app to see if I had to initialize anything, opened (didn't download, it was there by default) Google Play Music, attached speakers, played some music.

Joe

Options

8689 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1023 Signins

135777 Page Views

• Message 10 of 18

2020-04-15, 15:59 PM

Hi jjt2me,

I would like to further investigate this, but this appears to be a hardware failure with the speaker of the mod. We can easily determine that if we're able to test it with another Z device but you don't have another Z to test it with. Can you please update your profile with the current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > System > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

See here for the instruction. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save