US

308 Signins

4372 Page Views

• Views: 4372
  • Message 1 of 18

USB notification

2018-10-08, 12:43 PM

This just started 1-2 days ago...

For no reason that I am aware of, my phone has started showing a notification from 

Android System - USB supplying power to attached to attached device.

I rarely use the USB connection, rather using wireless charging or a battery mod for power.

In fact I haven't used the USB connection in several weeks - 

Anyone got any ideas why this suddenly started showing up ?

Thanks 

Options

1907 Posts

02-11-2016

US

2829 Signins

49896 Page Views

• Views: 49896
  • Message 2 of 18

Re: USB notification

2018-10-08, 14:17 PM

wrote:

This just started 1-2 days ago...

For no reason that I am aware of, my phone has started showing a notification from 

Android System - USB supplying power to attached to attached device.

I rarely use the USB connection, rather using wireless charging or a battery mod for power.

In fact I haven't used the USB connection in several weeks - 

Anyone got any ideas why this suddenly started showing up ?

Thanks 

This notification should only show up when you have something other than a charger plugged into the USB port. It's strange that it would show up at any other time. Can you make sure there is no dust or debris in the port? Is the notification always there? Has the phone experienced any trauma (drop/liquid exposure)?

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

44 Posts

10-13-2011

US

308 Signins

4372 Page Views

• Message 3 of 18

2018-10-08, 14:25 PM

I thought of the debris issue and checked it, blew it out....

I have now discovered that the port doesn't appear to work at all - 

I plugged in a USB cable (known good) and plugged it in to my PC - no reaction.

When I tried to change the use of the port, it doesn't appear to accept the input (the interface

clears from my phone screen but does nothing).  

I plugged it on to a power only port and it doesn't show as attached to a charger and 

the dongle for earphones doesn't work (doesn't switch to earphones - continues to use the 

external speakers).

THe phone hasn't gotten wet or been dropped - so either some service is not running or running

properly or my USB port has decided to die.

UPDATE:   the problems do NOT occur in Safe Mode (USB port connects to power and earphones correctly)

Options

1907 Posts

02-11-2016

US

2829 Signins

49896 Page Views

• Views: 49896
  • Message 4 of 18

2018-10-15, 20:17 PM

wrote:

I thought of the debris issue and checked it, blew it out....

I have now discovered that the port doesn't appear to work at all - 

I plugged in a USB cable (known good) and plugged it in to my PC - no reaction.

When I tried to change the use of the port, it doesn't appear to accept the input (the interface

clears from my phone screen but does nothing).  

I plugged it on to a power only port and it doesn't show as attached to a charger and 

the dongle for earphones doesn't work (doesn't switch to earphones - continues to use the 

external speakers).

THe phone hasn't gotten wet or been dropped - so either some service is not running or running

properly or my USB port has decided to die.

UPDATE:   the problems do NOT occur in Safe Mode (USB port connects to power and earphones correctly)

Interesting update. Does it connect to PC in Safe Mode? If so, it sounds like some sort of 3rd party app might be taking control of the USB jack.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

44 Posts

10-13-2011

US

308 Signins

4372 Page Views

• Message 5 of 18

2018-10-17, 10:46 AM
This past weekend I was using my Tumi battery pack and the problem appeared to go away.

It didn't come back until last night and this morning, it's gone again. If it's an app, it's due to an update to an existing app since i haven't added any apps in more than a month.

The notification isn't there ATM so I will have to wait to see if it comes back again
Options

44 Posts

10-13-2011

US

308 Signins

4372 Page Views

• Message 6 of 18

2018-11-08, 17:04 PM

Just an FYI - 

This issue still pops up from time to time but so far I have not been able to isolate it to occurring with any particular app.

Just last night I was checking it prior to placing it on the wireless charging pad and noticed that the message was

back.   This morning when I took it off the charger, the message is gone.

Options

7693 Posts

03-05-2018

US

972 Signins

127762 Page Views

• Views: 127762
  • Message 7 of 18

2018-11-08, 18:31 PM

Hi brucegatl,

Thanks for posting back. We'll further investigate, could you please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

1 Posts

11-16-2018

US

2 Signins

7 Page Views

• Views: 7
  • Message 8 of 18

2018-11-16, 19:52 PM

I am having the same issue with my moto z3.   I have found the following

when the error shows, the usb does nothing

the usb works fine after a reboot and the message goes away

the usb works fine in safe mode but i have not left it in safe mode for a long duration to see if the issue pops up

Options

7693 Posts

03-05-2018

US

972 Signins

127762 Page Views

• Views: 127762
  • Message 9 of 18

2018-11-19, 14:22 PM

Hi mecpfirst,

Thanks for your observation. I apprectiate the sreps you've tried. I'd like to confirm, how often do you receive this error while the phone is in normal mode? Did the error go away on it's own, if so, were you able to test charging the phone and see if it will charge the phone? Let us know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Options

44 Posts

10-13-2011

US

308 Signins

4372 Page Views

• Message 10 of 18

2018-11-27, 12:52 PM

Sorry...   I missed this message

My profile is up to date and the Moto Privacy setting are on

Thanks

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save