cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 93
Message 41 of 48

Re: What are the odds for Motorola to make the 4th gen Z family?

@pav1 wrote:

But to your point, why buy a Z3 with the same chip as the Z2 Force? Newer phone with same pocessor as last year? Just get a Z2 Force at a discounted price. Most of the new goodies rely on a new chip, not just new sensors. 

It seems to me (my opinion only) that Moto was waiting on Qualcomm and that held them back from a new flagship in the Z line. So they released a new midrange phone that Verizon contracted - Verizon loves their exclusives after all. 

Regarding "Aging well" - I expect the Z2 Play to run Android Pie as well as the Z2 Force - I have plenty of phones that got 2 full upgrades and they ran fine. I will agree that a 6XX CPU may not stay as quick as long as an 8XX series, but in a 2 year time, normal workloads will never notice the difference provided the phones had decent RAM and storage at launch. 

I almost bought the Z2 Play because of its better battery life and (surprise) headphone jack but I was able to score a Z3 Play for the same price so it was a no brainer.  I will be gifting it to a family member to replace their aging Moto X 2014 which is still running smoothly (mainly because they run it with very few apps).  As for "aging" - I had a Moto X Pure which was replaced with a Moto Z because of noticeable slowdowns in performance.  The Moto Z is running OK for now but I don't expect it to last me past 2019 (TBH, I wish my Moto X Pure had an OLED screen, OIS and 820 SoC but my Z makes up for those shortcomings).  

As for the 835 SoC in the Z3 - I believe the April 2018 downsizing of the Chicago Moto Z development team might have been a factor.

I would gladly buy a Z2 Force if it was available unlocked in the US but sadly that's not the case anymore.  I'll also gladly take an unlocked 835 Z3 if Verizon's exclusivity expires in 2019. Smiley Happy

Others have unlocked the tmo z2F. Is it no longer sold?

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
pav1
Punch Card
Views: 89
Message 42 of 48

>>Others have unlocked the tmo z2F. Is it no longer sold?

Nope. Sold out. Besides that I prefer my Moto's with stock version of Android (no carrier bloatware).
pav1
Punch Card
Views: 68
Message 43 of 48

@Covek wrote:
To Pav1: The Z3 is not a phone with a flagship price due it's lower resolution screen, cheaper camera units, older SOC. I think these compromises are worth it in order to fit into my price range of £300 to £400. It's still only a high midrange phone. Just because it has a 8xx SOC does not mean that it's a flagship phone. Compromises will always have to be made to reduce the cost. Look at the Pocophone's built quality and screen and lack of proper certification for watching Netflix in full HD. I rather have the Z3 Play than the Pocophone because I like a metal frame and oled screen on my phone. Yes I would get the Z3 over the Play but I wouldn't have if the Z3 would have come with 845 and improved camera and 2k screen because it would have made it too expensive. And yes Motorola should have released the Z3 unlocked in more countries; in fact they should have just made the Z3 and not bother with the Play - more people would have bought the phone. BUT By not making a phone in the flagship price category Motorola saved itself from another big financial loss.

Your points are noted however I still stand by my insistence for high-grade hardware offerings from Motorola:

• The new G7 needs to launch as THE value and performance leader phone of 2019.
  • The new "Z4" must launch with the best of what Lenovo/Motorola has to offer; more standard RAM (6 GB); more base storage (128GB), and; MORE processing power (855 CPU) at an attractive price. 
    BTW, a built-in headphone jack would also be nice. Smiley Happy

... and no more of this nonsense about "exclusive phones" for limited markets. 

Nobody wins in a market where everyone is "racing to the bottom".

Highlighted
Covek
Punch Card
Views: 63
Message 44 of 48

To pav1: I hope the Z4 will have all the bells and whistles because I want it to be my next phone in 2020 when it's price goes down 👍🏻

pav1
Punch Card
Views: 43
Message 45 of 48

@Covek wrote:

To pav1: I hope the Z4 will have all the bells and whistles because I want it to be my next phone in 2020 when it's price goes down 👍🏻

TBH, I would gladly jump on an unlocked 835 SoC'd Z3 (at the right price).  Currently in the US, the Verizon 835 SoC'd Z3 is $20 cheaper than the unlocked 636 SoC'd Z3 Play and the older 835 SoC'd Verizon Z2 Force is selling for $240 more.  

Motorola's current pricing strategies do more to hurt their sales than to help.   Hopefully, they'll be smarter about pricing their phones more competitively in 2019.

Covek
Punch Card
Views: 40
Message 46 of 48

To pav1: The Z3 is chep because the price is subsidised by Verzion. Carrier and bloat free phones are always more expensive. Look at the difference between the Z3 Play and Z3 Prime Play.
pav1
Punch Card
Views: 37
Message 47 of 48

@Covek wrote:
To pav1: The Z3 is chep because the price is subsidised by Verzion. Carrier and bloat free phones are always more expensive. Look at the difference between the Z3 Play and Z3 Prime Play.

...most likely true but when you compare the price of the year-old Z2 Force which is not available in a non-carrier version, the difference is startling (even the Prime Play isn't THAT much less).

Either way - I stand by my previous statement that Motorola needs to get their 2019 pricing strategy in order.

Covek
Punch Card
Views: 23
Message 48 of 48

To pav1: Originally the Z3 was selling for $480 without mod included im the box. Now I heard that it cost $120 so all I can say buy it if you leave in the USA. Verzion probably want to sell the mod and 5G package with it so they willing to give the phone away for hardly nothing.

Top Kudoed Authors