cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Covek
SCSI Port
Views: 1,096
Message 1 of 107

What are the odds for Motorola to make the 4th gen Z family?

Covek
SCSI Port
Views: 1,092
Message 2 of 107

Re: What are the odds for Motorola to make the 4th gen Z family?

I've just bought my first Z phone (Z3 Play). Motorola has promised 3 years of Z line phones to be compatible with the 1st gen mods; next year is the first year when Motorola can change the design or discontinue the line. I personally think that there is still room for a 4th gen Z family with the same dimensions as Motorola could just copy the design of Essential or Vivo to increase the screen to body ratio. Feel free to share your opinion there 😉

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,091
Message 3 of 107

No one here knows. I guess it depends on sales of Z3.

But there is no guarantee a Z4 will be compatible with current mods - Motorola only guaranteed 3 years compatibility. 

I think the Z name will live on, but will it be anything like the current Z line? no one knows. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 888
Message 4 of 107

I really hope that Motorola makes a Moto Z4

mrmagloo
SCSI Port
Views: 827
Message 5 of 107

Slim to none.  The sign was plastered on the wall when the Keyboard Mod was cancelled.

Covek
SCSI Port
Views: 790
Message 6 of 107

The keyboard ⌨️ mod wasn't the best design as it was a small landscape keyboard instead of one in portrait like Blackberry has it. I mean if I prepared to tipe in landscape than I just use a folding full size keyboard ⌨️.

pav1
Punch Card
Views: 646
Message 7 of 107

After the Q2 2018 "downsizing" of the Moto Z development team, it seems unlikely that Lenovo will have major plans for the 2nd generation of the Moto Mod architecture.  Coincidentally, one of the first major decisions made by newly appointed head of hardware at Google, Rick Osterloh, was to cancel their own "mod" phone architecture - code named "ARA".  Incidentally, just prior to his appointment at Google, Mr. Osterloh was  an executive with Motorola in Chicago.  That same year, LG failed miserably with their own take on "mod" phone design (see the LG G5).   This does not bode well for the overall future of modular mobile tech.  Lenovo is a very lean and pragmatic company and has given the Moto Mod architecture its 3 year commitment - which has yet to prove itself as a profitable endeavour.  You'll likely see future designs coming out of their head office in China, with only the Moto G line developed in North America. 

RIP Moto mods. 

Covek
SCSI Port
Views: 619
Message 8 of 107

It would still be worth to make one high mid range Z phone next year for those whom invested in the mods. It makes sense more than ever to keep the design as is because of the under the display FPR and pop-up camera or slide design. All of these fit well with the current design as waterproofing is already compromised by the connector pins. Only wierdos like us will buy it but it doesn't need to be heavily advertised and can be sold online only.

Moto needs to bring back the X line as there flagship with IP 68 and glass design (maybe a second oled screen on the back Nubia style 😎) tire drop notch etc. This will need to be heavily advertised alongside the G line and get it onto the shelvs of shops where avarage costumers can see it if Motorola wants it to succeed.

Also Motorola will probably come out with a foldable phone but it will probably be a niece product for those how can afford it as the price of these phones will probably be very high.

Covek
SCSI Port
Views: 609
Message 9 of 107

https://www.androidauthority.com/lenovo-z5-pro-announced-920864/

Put the pogo pins on the back with SD 845/6 GB RAM and you got the Z4. Simple (only ask for a free device for the ideal 😎). PRO TIP: The style shells are the perfect case for sliding phone as it won't interfere with the sliding 😉.

pav1
Punch Card
Views: 591
Message 10 of 107

@covek - to your point about Motorola bringing back the Moto X line in 2019; their best option would be to re-purpose the Motorola One Power form factor as the Moto X 2019. If they equipped it with improved camera software, Qualcomm 8xx series CPU,  OLED screen and bundled it with the Android One OS, it would be a very compelling device that could re-establish Moto X brand as a real alternative to value-for-money flagships.  Oneplus has recently left a gap in that market by introducing the 6T (and has now priced itself out of the value for money segment).  There's a real opportunity here for Motorola to make amends with old (and new) Moto X customers.

Top Kudoed Authors