cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Covek
SCSI Port
Posts: 94
Registered: ‎07-10-2018
Location: GB
Views: 217
Message 81 of 107

Re: What are the odds for Motorola to make the 4th gen Z family?


@AlphaDog wrote:

@pav1 wrote:

@Covek wrote:

When you sell via carriers they buy the phone from the OEM for a reduced price before selling it = guaranteed sell for the OEM with minimal profit. If you sell it unlocked you get a higher profit but can end up with a lots of unsold unit which will result in loosing profit = risk. Motorola haven't been able to sell it flagships in the last few years hence the decision to offer it via carriers.


When the Z2 Force was released, it was available both unlocked AND carrier subsidized. Eventually, the unlocked version was no longer available for sale - perhaps because it was so popular that it sold out (!?!).  In the US, the Z3 Flagship is exclusive to Verizon and doesn't seem to be available in any other markets (including Brazil, their largest market). How does limiting a flagship product to JUST ONE COUNTRY and ONE CARRIER help profitability?


If high end unlocked phones sold well, Moto woud still be doing it. They would build more in to meet demand. I am sure it sold out as unlocked (I never saw this option in the USA for Z2F), but likely it didn't sell well enough to build more. If it were a cash cow, they would keep doing it. 

 

As for Z3, my guess is that Verizon wanted it, others didn't. And like passed Droid phones, Verizon paid for exclusivity.  Better to make a deal with one carrier then have a bunch of inventory that has to be sold below cost. 

 

No one here has the inside scoop, but if things were selling well, they would be sold with more variations. Mid-tier seems to be what is really selling well. 

 

 


100% agree with you.

Covek
SCSI Port
Posts: 94
Registered: ‎07-10-2018
Location: GB
Views: 216
Message 82 of 107

Re: What are the odds for Motorola to make the 4th gen Z family?


@AlphaDog wrote:

 wrote:

 


I run and test lots of apps on my phones.  Having to limit my apps because of the mid-tier chipset is not an option for me. Besides that, there's other unlocked brands equipped with 8xx chipsets available for sale at mid-tier prices (e.g. Huawei, Xiaomi, LG, older OnePlus and even older Pixel models). I have always stayed true to the Moto brand but I refuse to make excuses for compromised designs due to market demands; there's plenty of other brands that do that sort of thing already.


I am a firm believer in buying what you need.  If you must have an 8x chip, then that is what you should buy. I run and test a lot of apps as well and I haven't seen a performance difference between the chips in my environment. 

 

Market demand though will always dictate design. If a company builds something that doesn't sell, they won't keep building it. 

 

100% agree with you too.


Covek
SCSI Port
Posts: 94
Registered: ‎07-10-2018
Location: GB
Views: 215
Message 83 of 107

Re: What are the odds for Motorola to make the 4th gen Z family?

To Pav1: You might get a flagship Z4 this year. If not than just get another 855 phone. Your life won't be affected any way by leaving Motorola 😉

pav1
Punch Card
Posts: 100
Registered: ‎09-09-2015
Location: US
Views: 211
Message 84 of 107

Re: What are the odds for Motorola to make the 4th gen Z family?


@Covek wrote:

To Pav1: You might get a flagship Z4 this year. If not than just get another 855 phone. Your life won't be affected any way by leaving Motorola 😉


I certainly hope you're right. I would like to continue with my investment in Moto mods ;-)

Covek
SCSI Port
Posts: 94
Registered: ‎07-10-2018
Location: GB
Views: 209
Message 85 of 107

Re: What are the odds for Motorola to make the 4th gen Z family?


@pav1 wrote:

@Covek wrote:

To Pav1: You might get a flagship Z4 this year. If not than just get another 855 phone. Your life won't be affected any way by leaving Motorola 😉


I certainly hope you're right. I would like to continue with my investment in Moto mods ;-)


Is it possible to buy a Z3/4 on varizon PAYG and unlock it?

pav1
Punch Card
Posts: 100
Registered: ‎09-09-2015
Location: US
Views: 203
Message 86 of 107

Re: What are the odds for Motorola to make the 4th gen Z family?


@Covek

Is it possible to buy a Z3/4 on varizon PAYG and unlock it?


Not unless you're a Verizon customer and not without the Verizon bloatware (which is impossible to uninstall).  Verizon models have limited frequency support and even if they are unlocked, aren't guaranteed to work on other US carrier networks.

 

Covek
SCSI Port
Posts: 94
Registered: ‎07-10-2018
Location: GB
Views: 200
Message 87 of 107

Re: What are the odds for Motorola to make the 4th gen Z family?


@pav1 wrote:

@Covek

Is it possible to buy a Z3/4 on varizon PAYG and unlock it?


Not unless you're a Verizon customer and not without the Verizon bloatware (which is impossible to uninstall).  Verizon models have limited frequency support and even if they are unlocked, aren't guaranteed to work on other US carrier networks.

 


Another reason why it's cheaper to make a carrier specific model.

pav1
Punch Card
Posts: 100
Registered: ‎09-09-2015
Location: US
Views: 182
Message 88 of 107

Re: What are the odds for Motorola to make the 4th gen Z family?

I'm not convinced it's any cheaper for Motorola. Costs for manufacturing hardware would likely be the same (as unlocked). They would also have additional development and support costs for a carrier specific variant of the operating system.

Covek
SCSI Port
Posts: 94
Registered: ‎07-10-2018
Location: GB
Views: 164
Message 89 of 107

Re: What are the odds for Motorola to make the 4th gen Z family?


@pav1 wrote:

I'm not convinced it's any cheaper for Motorola. Costs for manufacturing hardware would likely be the same (as unlocked). They would also have additional development and support costs for a carrier specific variant of the operating system.


Don't need to include all antenna bands and only need to develop the software for one specific carrier. Even if there are few different carrier model it's still cheaper for the OEM because each carrier will have it's own set of antenna bands and instead of creating a software which has to work with all the existing carriers in that country the OEM only needs to make it work for those carriers that sells the phone. That's why the Moto Z4 got Pie update earlier than unlocked Z4 Play in the USA. Unlocked phones cost more for a reason especially if the phone is a global version like the ones Xiaomi makes (expensive compared to the China only version). We got a bit spoiled with unlocked phones lately but the way things go means that smartphone OEM's can't afford to take that kind of risk with flagship phones any more. I've been using my current carrier in the last few years and my next phone likely be a carrier locked one just because that way I can save money with minimal risk (suddenly have to relocate etc.)

pav1
Punch Card
Posts: 100
Registered: ‎09-09-2015
Location: US
Views: 135
Message 90 of 107

Re: What are the odds for Motorola to make the 4th gen Z family?


@Covek wrote:

@pav1That's why the Moto Z4 got Pie update earlier than unlocked Z4 Play in the USA. Unlocked phones cost more for a reason especially if the phone is a global version like the ones Xiaomi makes (expensive compared to the China only version). We got a bit spoiled with unlocked phones lately but the way things go means that smartphone OEM's can't afford to take that kind of risk with flagship phones any more. 

Did you mean Z3 and Z3 Play? Smiley Happy The Z4 and Z4Play aren't yet official. Smiley Wink

 

I still don't buy your argument regarding "risk" for offering an unlocked variant; especially when Motorola was the top selling unlocked brand in the US for many years (according to Motorola).  

 

Fortunately, I have plenty of options with other brands should Motorola choose to only sell unlocked mid-tier phones,  I'm currently keeping my eye out for deals on Pixel phones just in case.

 

Top Kudoed Authors