12-23-2018

United States of America

6 Signins

66 Page Views

• Views: 66
  • Message 1 of 11

WiFi drops signal every 30 seconds Moto z3

2018-12-23, 19:05 PM

Hey all, my Moto z3 loses it's connection to WiFi every 30 seconds or so .It happens on every WiFi network, not just my home network .phone's up to date, did system restore still nothing. It continues to drop in safe mode, and other people on the network have no issues. Disconnected all other devices , reset router, updated router firmware, have tried everything, it's clearly the phone. 

Please if anyone knows a fix it would be greatly appreciated .

I've attached a pic of the wifi signal you can see it's a dashed line . Buddy's phone same analyzer solid signal line .

Options

920 Posts

02-20-2009

United States of America

1071 Signins

6381 Page Views

• Views: 6381
  • Message 2 of 11

Re: WiFi drops signal every 30 seconds Moto z3

2018-12-23, 19:49 PM

I'm not seeing that on my network...

Make sure the router is set to WPA2 security only...not WPA/WPA2, which is the default on some routers.

Make sure you don't have two separate SSID's for the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands. Use the same SSID and passwords for both, for this test.

Make sure the 2.4Ghz band you are set to 802.11n only on the router...not g, not b, not auto mode. Any g and b devices you should retire regardless if they can't do 802.11n, as they are very old, out of date, and most likely security risks.

For the 5Ghz band, make sure the router is set to 802.11n and 802.11ac only. Not 802.11a or auto mode

If you have more than one router, make sure the channels assigned do not overlap on the various frequencies. Do not use auto mode if you yourself have more than one router/access point.

If this STILL happens with the settings above, try the following for testing...turn off just the 5Ghz band on your router(s) temporarily for a day or two. If the connection is suddenly stable, your phone was bouncing back and forth between probably two SSIDs and wifi bands.

Options

7 Posts

12-23-2018

United States of America

6 Signins

66 Page Views

• Message 3 of 11

2018-12-23, 20:12 PM

If all of those fixes involve adjusting settings on the router, and my phone does this across every wireless network to which I am connected (while other people's devices are fine on those same networks) doesn't that make it a phone issue?

I don't see the need to go in and start adjusting settings on my perfectly functional router to fix an issue I'm having phone-side .

Options

102 Posts

10-15-2017

United States of America

382 Signins

1653 Page Views

• Views: 1653
  • Message 4 of 11

2018-12-23, 20:57 PM
I used to have a similar issue years ago with a Samsung phone that turned out to be a wifi setting on the phone, at least it's something to check
go to Wi-fi->Wi-Fi preferences ->Advanced ->Avoid bad wi-fi connections...toggle this to off
Options

7 Posts

12-23-2018

United States of America

6 Signins

66 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2018-12-23, 21:07 PM

wrote:
I used to have a similar issue years ago with a Samsung phone that turned out to be a wifi setting on the phone, at least it's something to check
go to Wi-fi->Wi-Fi preferences ->Advanced ->Avoid bad wi-fi connections...toggle this to off

I really appreciate you reaching out. It was already toggled off, though. Thanks for trying ?

Options

102 Posts

10-15-2017

United States of America

382 Signins

1653 Page Views

• Views: 1653
  • Message 6 of 11

2018-12-23, 21:11 PM
too bad. Right above that setting is the reset default networks....again worth a try if you haven't.
Next would be starting the phone up in the safe mode and after that sending it in for repair :(
Options

7 Posts

12-23-2018

United States of America

6 Signins

66 Page Views

• Message 7 of 11

2018-12-25, 3:02 AM

@rbkirk whatcha think? I've trolled the forums for hours and it's always "blame the router" and there's never a real solution . 

The router is set correctly, the phone just refuses to keep a network connection . When the signal, graphed, should be a solid line... It looks more like Morse code. 

Please help! 

Options

7 Posts

12-23-2018

United States of America

6 Signins

66 Page Views

• Message 8 of 11

2019-01-23, 0:04 AM

Hey there! There has been no change. Tried all of your solutions! 

Attached is a picture of the signals for multiple wifi connections .

Note that all signals drop simultaneously .

These are dozens of networks all of which are different and yet the signal simply vanishes every 5 seconds or so. 

When browsing, watching videos, etc, this results in a complete freeze and massive latency Spike .

Options

1 Posts

03-11-2019

United States of America

2 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 9 of 11

2019-03-11, 14:47 PM

The fix I found for Wifi constantly disconnecting is to turn off data when connected to WiFi. 

Options

9 Posts

04-03-2019

United States of America

17 Signins

277 Page Views

• Views: 277
  • Message 10 of 11

2019-12-11, 16:29 PM

With all due respect to everyone I know that just looking through the community Z3 requests you can see huge amounts of problems with it. 

But I have to say that the answers are not coming. 

WiFi signal is important to me and I would suspect that it is to all who have this problem. 

I understand that we need to go through the process and I am grateful for the opportunity to have a list of things to do before asking for help. 

I have done it all as you have given including my fellow user's.

I have no idea what is going on with our phones and internet is keeping me in the loop and I am disabled so it helps me to be connected to my good internet connection. It is not satellite or DSL. I pay good price for it. I am on fixed income and I don't have the luxury of buying a new phone or even having my old phone connected on a new line.

I just want my phone to work properly. 

Like my keyboard, I have to constantly check my message for what I have written because it is not right but I don't have any option but to let it alone because I feel like it would be dismissed as user error. It will sometimes be where I have to offset my letter push cause if you do on it you get the letter beside it. I adjust myself and go on. No big deal. 

But wifi is not working properly then I have no way to get it done. I lose connection sitting in front of the router. I walk away from it and I mean just a matter of feet and it gets worse. Still no obstruction but it can be like I walked outside.

Now it never was like this but I don't know when exactly it started. 

I appreciate your help and support and know that you are doing a thankless job. I appreciate you. 

I hope we can together find the reason or fix. Thank you for your time.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms