Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ElPotato
Punch Card
Views: 663
Message 1 of 8

Z3 Battery drain immediately after upgraded to Pie

Hi,

I was consistently getting 3-4 days of battery (more, but I'd charge overnight vs. the following day) to the day I upgraded to Pie.  The next full charge lasted about 1.5 days.  If I don't touch my phone, I barely get 2 full days without having to charge.

I have done nearly everything 100 websites have suggested, but for a factory reset.  I've deleted apps one by one, but not every single app.  Changed permissions.  Changed location permissions.  Shut sync off for non-Google accounts.  I lost track of all the suggestions and failures.

I also noticed Google Play Services runs 100% 'while in active' and from the same duration as being off charge, and 0% in the background (maybe 1 minute over a 2-day period).  Safe mode did not change how it ran.  Turning on battery saver did not 'stop' it.

And, so on.

Thank you in advance,

Steve

PS: It is okay to check apps.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 608
Message 2 of 8

Re: Z3 Battery drain immediately after upgraded to Pie

Hi ElPotato,

Thanks for posting. Have you tried calibrating your battery? I would suggest doing that first before doing a factory data reset. 

To perform a battery calibration:

1. Force reboot the device by holding the power button until the device reboots
    (For the moto z3  hold volume down + power to force the reboot.)
  2. Plug into supplied charger
  3. Charge to 100% and leave on the charger for at least an additional hour after getting to 100%

Please let us know how it goes. 

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

ElPotato
Punch Card
Views: 586
Message 3 of 8

Hello Zeke,

Thank you for replying, I appreciate it!

I followed your instructions and nothing has changed.

I've had the phone for about 2 months.  Would there already be an issue with the battery?  Or, are you trying to remove a glitch that could happen when upgrading the OS?

Regarding a factory reset, I've never had a decent answer as to why everyone says 'do a factory reset'.  As mentioned, the phone is barely 2 months old.  Why would I already need to perform a factory reset?  For example, I have two laptops.  One is 12 years old and another is 4 years old.  They've went through at least 4 Windows OS upgrades.  Not one time in the combined 16 years have had to 'factory reset' a laptop, or any computer for that matter, and I use them 12+ hours per work day for a combined 16 years.  Why is the solution to problems to almost always wipe the phone and start over?  Just curious.

Thank you!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 577
Message 4 of 8

Hi ElPotato,

If there is an issue with the battery itself then troubleshooting would not be needed since the problem is the hardware itself. This is very odd especially if the phone is 2 months old. You said that google play services were always on all the time, have you tried stopping/disabling it? To answer your question about the factory reset, it is now always necessary to reset it when troubleshooting. It does sometimes help since it put the phone's system settings back to default which could help fix some software issues. When you are going to do a factory data reset do not restore the apps yet. Try to check the phone's battery life after the reset.

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

ElPotato
Punch Card
Views: 574
Message 5 of 8

Hi Zeke, Thanks for the quick reply! Attached is a schot of Google Play Services. It does not allow me to disable or force stop, and the Play Store only offers "Deactivate". When I tap "Deactivate", a dialogue box displays: "This app is a device administrator and must be deactivated before uninstalling." There is no option to 'deactivate', though the store offers that button. Thank you for the Factory Reset explanation. While I have reset the device a ton since the upgrade to Pie, I have not done a factory reset to revert back to the day I got the phone. I have also uninstalled almost every 3rd party app, started the phone in safe mode, and more - nothing stops Google Play Services from running constantly (or, "while in active use"). I fear if I factory reset, then re-set up my phone (which takes a long time to redo all the settings, screens, icons, etc. - as you know), I fear when it re-downloads Pie, I'll have the same issue. I find it peculiar that the day I download Pie is the day my battery life was halved. It could very well be Google Play Services was on 100% of the time prior to the upgrade, exactly as it is now, but I don't know. I never really looked to see what was draining my battery when I was getting 4 days. When it immediately dropped in half, I started looking around at possible issues. I looked at a couple non-Pie phones and Google Play Services is operating "While the Background". Truly appreciate your help and advice - thank you!
antonics
Fanfold Paper
Views: 429
Message 6 of 8

I am in the same boat. I deeply regret upgrading to Android Pie because of this battery drain issue. I was having 3 days of usage under Android Oreo. If only we could revert to the old version without losing all whats in the Z3 it would be best. Hope Motorola comes up with a solution.

nightrain
Paper Tape
Views: 237
Message 7 of 8

Unfortunately I'm getting the same issues. When I got my phone I was getting 48 hours with my usual activities. Now, after update to Pie I get maybe 16 h, and that is with power saver on. Smiley Sad

ElPotato
Punch Card
Views: 142
Message 8 of 8

I did a litany of attempted fixes.  I ended up deleting a lot of apps I rarely use, changed the sync times of non-Gmail accounts to only over Wi-Fi and/or hourly (can’t recall, but they aren’t important, so I put them off), and a few other things.  I don’t know what exactly fixed the issue.  Maybe some apps updated, maybe deleting and not reinstalling some apps, or, maybe the account syncing.  Suddenly, I was back to anywhere from 2-3 days.  I have not reinstalled the old apps to compare.  I know Google Play Services has not ran 100% of the time.  Something caused that to stay on 100% of the time… deleting apps didn’t stop it, changing sync didn’t stop it – nothing did.  It suddenly stopped.  It’s still at the top of my usage list.  For example, now it’s 5% of my battery and used for 18 minutes.

Top Kudoed Authors