09-04-2017

US

17 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 1 of 44

Z3 random apps minimizing without (proper) input

2020-03-16, 16:17 PM

Hey guys, after receiving software update PDXS29.84-51-6 on my Verizon Z3 (I'm almost positive it was not doing this before that), my phone seems to minimize apps as though I were pressing Home at random intervals. This is most intrusive when I'm playing games and I can usually reverse it trivially by opening the task manager and switching back to it but there have been multiple instances where I wasn't even touching the screen and it did it while I was reading. It reminds me a lot of the face recognition function, as though it's attention aware or gesturing out of apps by looking. I hypothesize possible interference from my screen protector, though it's the same one I've had since I bought the phone on Black Friday 2018. I've enjoyed the phone a lot since then but this seems like an egregious glitch. I wanted to at least report it if not fix it outright. Any ideas or similar experiences?

Solved! See the solution
Options

1 Posts

03-16-2020

US

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 2 of 44

Re:Z3 random apps minimizing without (proper) input

2020-03-16, 16:53 PM

I have been having the same issue since the update. I am also having connection issues with Ford SYNC. This morning the bluetooth would not connect in the vehicle, though the phone showed it was connected, until I rebooted the phone. Interested in resolutions....

Options

10379 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1109 Signins

149508 Page Views

• Views: 149508
  • Message 3 of 44

2020-03-16, 20:43 PM

Hi Shadowkinesis, dustygirl,

Thanks for reporting. Can you list the apps that's doing this? Are you using One Button Nav or just the regular navigation buttons? What happened after the apps minimize themselves? Make sure all apps are up to date in Play Store and please test if you can replicate this behavior in safe mode.

To Enable Safe Mode
1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.
2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.
Just turn off and on the phone to boot back to normal mode.

third-party apps will be disabled but you can still use native apps. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

5 Posts

03-18-2020

US

12 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 4 of 44

2020-03-18, 1:12 AM
I am having the same problem and it absolutely happened after the latest update. It has happened on a number of apps. Namely Facebook and the native camera app. When FB closes it is annoying. But when I am Livestreaming or recording video it is damaging my business. Please fix this ASAP.
Options

5 Posts

03-18-2020

US

12 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 5 of 44

2020-03-18, 1:40 AM
The camera does not randomly close in safe mode.
Options

10379 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1109 Signins

149508 Page Views

• Views: 149508
  • Message 6 of 44

2020-03-18, 15:08 PM

Hi Everyone,

Please try this. Reboot the phone (press and hold the Volume down + Power keys for 10 - 20 seconds.). Let me know what time it did happen again. Also, I would suggest testing the "Show taps" on the developer options and provide us a video if you notice the screen is making its own taps. 

To enable developer options: 
1. Go to Settings > About phone > Build number 
2. Tap Build number seven times. After the first few taps, you should see the steps counting down until you unlock the developer options. Once activated, you will see a message that reads, “You are now a developer!”
3. Go back to Settings, where you’ll find a Developer options entry in the menu

4. Look for show taps in the developer options and enable it.

Let me know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

7 Posts

09-04-2017

US

17 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 7 of 44

2020-03-20, 2:49 AM
I'm definitely using the 3 button navigation. Rebooting regularly did not resolve it but I have not tried safe mode. I shall. Apps that I know it has done this with are Facebook, Clash of Clans, Clash Royale, Chrome and the search browser, and a few others. No pattern except that I frequent those more. I'll also attempt the touch sequence to visualize it
Options

1 Posts

03-20-2020

US

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 44

2020-03-20, 2:55 AM
Hi, I have the identical issue on my Z3 (which is on T-Mobile). I updated to the same build on 3/7 I think. Noticed the random app closing in the last week or so. There is a Reddit thread on the issue as well. Other Z family phones are also having this issue. I'm fairly certain Z2 Force, Z3 Play, and Z4 have been reported as affected, but check the Reddit thread to be sure. Will try to link to it here if that's allowed. (Ironically, the issue just happened again as I was typing this out.) https://www.reddit.com/r/Moto_Z/comments/fieaxp/motoz2_apps_spontaneously_minimizing/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share
Options

5 Posts

03-18-2020

US

12 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 9 of 44

2020-03-20, 8:41 AM
I am using 3 button navigation. I tried the reboot method and visualizing touches for a full day. The problem is still occurring and I have not seen touches causing the apps to close.
Options

1 Posts

03-19-2020

US

4 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 44

Z3 random apps minimizing without (proper) input

2020-03-20, 9:51 AM
Same! Just began happening within the last year... But yes, my Z3 has been randomly minimizing apps, and it's rather annoying. Like, let ME the one to tell me I'm spending too much time on Facebook... Please solve!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete